• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Agencies - ask me to agree to contract without seeing it - that old chestnut"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I never get my contracts reviewed.
    You work direct mostly.

My direct contracts tend to be nicely drafted - a few of them have been like the PCG template so haven't been reviewed.

The majority of agency contracts I've had are dreadful. They have meaningless phrases put in by someone who must have limited reading comprehension skills, they try to get my company to indemnify them against the world and his wife, and the numberings do not make sense.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Yep, very important that practie.
    This is a psychodrama thread, so normal standards do not appley.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Now, now. In the other thread, where relevant, I gave excellent advice to get a contract reviewed despite my own practie.
    Yep, very important that practie.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied

But for once he actually isn't. I know OG's methods and he is a little different to most bums on seats, single gig contractors. He is being mean saying that without saying why though as it gives the wrong message to the newbs. The little tinker...
    Now, now. In the other thread, where relevant, I gave excellent advice to get a contract reviewed despite my own practie.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by aoxomoxoa View Post
    FTFY

But for once he actually isn't. I know OG's methods and he is a little different to most bums on seats, single gig contractors. He is being mean saying that without saying why though as it gives the wrong message to the newbs. The little tinker...

Leave a comment:

• aoxomoxoa
    replied
    I'm trying to wind up NLUK.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I never get my contracts reviewed.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Jeez all agreed based on schedule and terms of business. Agent phoned me today - so we'll just do contract.

Talk about leaving it until the last minute so you aint got chance to argue. Told them yes Im sure it'll be ok if its based on the schedule and terms already agreed.
    Are you a new contractor?

Off course you have a chance to argue.

I've got contracts reviewed, changed and agreed within 24 hours and over weekends.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Jeez all agreed based on schedule and terms of business. Agent phoned me today - so we'll just do contract.

Talk about leaving it until the last minute so you aint got chance to argue. Told them yes Im sure it'll be ok if its based on the schedule and terms already agreed.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    FTFY
    Owned!!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Dactylion View Post
    Do you mean "bordering on"?
    As in getting very close to (by implication - so close as to actually qualify)

Jeez, you are obviously bordering on illiterate
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Dactylion
    replied
    Because he is boarding on incompetent.
    Do you mean "bordering on"?
    As in getting very close to (by implication - so close as to actually qualify)

Jeez You are obviously bordering on illiterate

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by aoxomoxoa View Post
    I guess most of us with a few years experience could make a decent stab of reviewing contracts for IR35 ourselves from a content perspective. But an independent review by a qualified outfit gives you an extra line of defence when HMRC come a-knockin' on your door, and may help deflect them quickly so they go after easier prey.
    Not arguing this and I mention this ad infinitum. The point was to PC and his bad bad bad clause question but yes a review is a must (except maybe renewals using same template)

Leave a comment:

• aoxomoxoa
    replied
    He has already commented in two posts he knows enough to review them himself. Where we could argue his knowledge until we are blue in the face I am sure he is aware of what is really bad. Makes the rest of your post hypothetical really.
    I guess most of us with a few years experience could make a decent stab of reviewing contracts for IR35 ourselves from a content perspective. But an independent review by a qualified outfit gives you an extra line of defence when HMRC come a-knockin' on your door, and may help deflect them quickly so they go after easier prey.

Leave a comment:

• SteelyDan
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Surely, if not, you'd be walking on thin IR35 ice then. Fair point about working practices but if the contract is bad then thats failure #1.

Also, surely then also operating outside IR35 when you've got a contract you know to be inside IR35 is going to cause problems if you ever get picked up on it. i.e. fines etc because you 'knew'.
    I take the same view as Scruff tbh, plus an assessment of the likelihood of being spot-checked for the IR35-isms...basically keep it real, focus on working practices, and don't do hysterical, hand-wringing paranoia (of which, I think there's a little too much on CUK - but each to their own).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X