• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Whistle blowing or not?"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    That was my first take, but I know what people are like. Once you start rationalising stuff, it's not long before you are explaining away extreme situations.

I can't think of a single project I ever did that could not have been done better. The shortfall is always in the management or user incompetance. If I ever worked in a health situation where people were affected, I could spend all day whistleblowing
    Healthcare is risky and a significant cause of death. You do need a pretty high tolerance of incompetence to keep going in the sector.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Moved to Business and Contracts - inappropriate for professional forums comments removed.

Leave a comment:

• socialworker
    replied
    Well thanks for the input and the general lack of insults, though as I said this isnt some big scandal, it is just a policy which may be a factor in putting some adults at increased risk. I didnt even think of it as whistleblowing until it was mentioned to me . Im not going public, it wont end up on the front page of the local paper and no one is goijg to end up with their head on the block because of it, however I am a bit surprised how seriously the quality manager has taken it, but then I guess that is why I told her.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post

Take a look at the probability of your concerns happening vs your impact on the situation vs the likelihood of getting terminated should you push this any further.
    That was my first take, but I know what people are like. Once you start rationalising stuff, it's not long before you are explaining away extreme situations.

I can't think of a single project I ever did that could not have been done better. The shortfall is always in the management or user incompetance. If I ever worked in a health situation where people were affected, I could spend all day whistleblowing

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Ignore it.

Unless something is extremely likely to happen or has happened then you don't whistleblow.

If you do need to whistleblow I hope you have some savings to retrain as something else. You do have the advantage that no-one would blame you for leaving social work.
    Definitely WSES.

Take a look at the probability of your concerns happening vs your impact on the situation vs the likelihood of getting terminated should you push this any further.

What is the reality of this situation and are you prepared to retrain out of social work?

Is your Big Mouth worth the loss of a career?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg
    One would imagine a big mouth would be good for getting further up a greasy pole.
    depends if you use it for kissing butt or bellyaching?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Considering this may - as far as we know - relate to a child at risk of abduction because her feckless parents leave her alone at night and go out to restaurants when on holiday, that is a strange attitude to take.
    Let's just hope that BP doesn't live under the same Council, eh?

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    To anyone who answered anything other than "carry on invoicing" please leave now and hand your usernames in on the way out.
    +1

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by socialworker View Post
    Thanks that is basically what I have done. I thought that would be ok but the manager has slightly put the wind up me by suggesting I read the wb policy and think about it overnight.
    Ignore it.

Unless something is extremely likely to happen or has happened then you don't whistleblow.

If you do need to whistleblow I hope you have some savings to retrain as something else. You do have the advantage that no-one would blame you for leaving social work.

Leave a comment:

• Hairy
    replied
    I think I'd look about how I felt about it; if I felt it was wrong not to report it, I think I'd have to. Difficult one, as you'd be putting your head over the parapet as you said, but I think I'd be looking into how I felt personally about it. Apply it against someone you care for; would you accept it for them?

Leave a comment:

• socialworker
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    If it's not abuse just mention it to the higher up as a risk that would cause them future problems.
    Thanks that is basically what I have done. I thought that would be ok but the manager has slightly put the wind up me by suggesting I read the wb policy and think about it overnight.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    As a registered sw I have duty to report abuse, this not about , no duty to report policies we dont agree with or it would never stop!
    If it's not abuse just mention it to the higher up as a risk that would cause them future problems.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    To anyone who answered anything other than "carry on invoicing" please leave now and hand your usernames in on the way out.
    Considering this may - as far as we know - relate to a child at risk of abduction because her feckless parents leave her alone at night and go out to restaurants when on holiday, that is a strange attitude to take.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Well I was thinking I had done that, I.e. advised the appropriate person and let them get on with it. I didnt consider it whistleblowing which to my mind is about serious wrongdoing. In my view it is a case of unintended consequences of a policy change. Id be interested to know wher you think the line falls.
    I work in a project, not an operational environment, so I have well structured risk escalation routes.

If you feel professionally compromised, you should probably ensure that the individual with operational responsibility for the service which you believe will be impacted is informed, and then you've done your duty IMO. If you feel that service users or individuals who do not even make it into the service will come to serious harm, then you may want to talk to your professional body (if one exists) for guidance.

Leave a comment:

• socialworker
    replied
    As a registered sw I have duty to report abuse, this not about , no duty to report policies we dont agree with or it would never stop!
    I suppose Ive always had a big mouth, otherwise Id probably be higher up the greasy pole! Depends if Ive miffed the Tm I guess.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X