• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Another consultancy has jobs in the 'pipline' & want to 'interview' me"

Collapse

• Untouchable1
    replied
    Sounds like a pretty straightforward case of business development to me. Part of running an independent business...you can record Jeremy Kyle and watch it at a more convenient time later on.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    I think the problem is we are so conditioned to think agents are wasting our time that we are overly cynical when a genuine one appears.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    If it was an offer of work I'd meet him but its unlikely, isnt it?
    That was what the OP said and he also called the guy a but he now appears to have boomed. Sometimes it is a waste of time, sometimes it isn't. Depends on how much it is going to cost you to meet him. If it's nothing and there is even the slightest outside chance of some work then it doesn't seem a bad thing to do. As has already been mentioned it is a networking exercise if nothing else. Just have to take each situation on merit.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
    If you keep turning down offers of work they'll stop your dole. #justsaying
    If it was an offer of work I'd meet him but its unlikely, isnt it?

Leave a comment:

• bless 'em all
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Had the same yesterday. Agent phoned me and said he had my CV. Told me he had a company that wanted 100 people with my skills. (I doubt there are 100 vacancies in the whole of the UK for everyone so sounded a bit much).

Asked if he could meet me at office local to me. Initially, I thought, why not, no hassle. Now he wants me to go to his office (bit further) because hes so busy.

Now he tells me he needs to go through the 'confirmation' process with me (WTF!). Apparently, needs to speak to me to make sure I've worked in critical environments rather than easy going public sector roles. (Look at my CV matey).

Oh yeah, and he needs 3 references but he promises not to use these to get new business. Really?

Don't think I'll bother.

If you keep turning down offers of work they'll stop your dole. #justsaying

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Had the same yesterday. Agent phoned me and said he had my CV. Told me he had a company that wanted 100 people with my skills. (I doubt there are 100 vacancies in the whole of the UK for everyone so sounded a bit much).

Asked if he could meet me at office local to me. Initially, I thought, why not, no hassle. Now he wants me to go to his office (bit further) because hes so busy.

Now he tells me he needs to go through the 'confirmation' process with me (WTF!). Apparently, needs to speak to me to make sure I've worked in critical environments rather than easy going public sector roles. (Look at my CV matey).

Oh yeah, and he needs 3 references but he promises not to use these to get new business. Really?

Don't think I'll bother.

Leave a comment:

• bless 'em all
    replied
    Originally posted by Angrybunny View Post
    Well I met the ops manager for the consultancy at 9.30 am. They then arranged an interview with the IB at 4.30 pm. At 8 pm I had been offered my first contracting job starting tomorrow for 6 months at the rate I wanted.

Is this where I say boom
    It's chancers like you that make me want to now don't screw it up!

Leave a comment:

• Angrybunny
    replied
    GTA5 will have to wait

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Well I met the ops manager for the consultancy at 9.30 am. They then arranged an interview with the IB at 4.30 pm. At 8 pm I had been offered my first contracting gig starting tomorrow for 6 months at the rate I wanted.

Is this where I say boom
    Jobs are for permies. Well done.

qh

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Well I met the ops manager for the consultancy at 9.30 am. They then arranged an interview with the IB at 4.30 pm. At 8 pm I had been offered my first contracting job starting tomorrow for 6 months at the rate I wanted.

Is this where I say boom
    yes and general is that ^. Have a

Leave a comment:

• Angrybunny
    replied

Is this where I say boom

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Enough time to complete GTA5 then.
    No you will get another few contracts in the middle.

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Another consultancy has said they want to meet me on Monday as they have
    'potential roles in the pipeline which we feel you may be a good fit for based on your CV.'

It's quite expensive for me to travel to their office for a 'potential role'.
    Tell them you'd be more than happy to meet up for a coffee at YOUR local coffee house.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    I also met another consultancy CEO in the week and we went for coffee and a talk on the park bench. The same thing, he had potential roles but not much else. Might as well have been a date not an interview.
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

qh

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Another consultancy has said they want to meet me on Monday as they have
    'potential roles in the pipeline which we feel you may be a good fit for based on your CV.'

It's quite expensive for me to travel to their office for a 'potential role'.

I also met another consultancy CEO in the week and we went for coffee and a talk on the park bench. The same thing, he had potential roles but not much else. Might as well have been a date not an interview.

My gut feeling is, I should tell them to get stuffed and if they want to meet me have a job to start with. Bunch of

Okay I'm being a bit flippant, I've not had the best experiences so far with my contracting life. Some of this is down to my own bad decisions as well as pimps.
    I think virtual benches are an emerging trend. Most companies would rather have a dozen names of good chaps and hope one of them is free than wait to win business then start looking while the client gets fed up.

Last year I took a day in London for what amounted to a nice bottle of wine and a steak following an hours chat to a service delivery manager for a niche consultancy in the morning. I knew there was no job at the time but I liked the work that they were doing and thought it was worth a trip.

Eight months later I am starting a 12 month contract with them on £200 a day more that the advertised rate. I achieved this because I took the time to get through a few interviews and treat them as serious despite there not being a job on offer.

Do you think you can impress this CEO? if so yo should probably treat it as a more useful interview than a chat with a pimp.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X