• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: LLP?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "LLP?"

Collapse

• craig1
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Don't most accountants and lawyers operate through LLPs? Surely they must be able to get a mortgage.
    The Halifax explained this to me a few years ago when we were thinking about moving and applied for a mortgage in principle. They approved us because we could point to more than three years of full business accounts where they could see the P&L figure, also the members' list of the LLP was just us, the two mortgage applicants, meaning that all of the profit was attributable to only us. They were far sharper at working out genuine self-employed status against tax avoidance mechanisms than HMRC at their most efficient!

The alternative they said was us providing at least the last three years of tax returns to prove declared income.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    And hope you don't need a mortgage - research this as a priority because many mortgage providers will only touch normal umbrellas and Ltds.
    Don't most accountants and lawyers operate through LLPs? Surely they must be able to get a mortgage.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    And hope you don't need a mortgage - research this as a priority because many mortgage providers will only touch normal umbrellas and Ltds.

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied
    Sorry for the delayed response to this thread, I was off on a 3 week holiday enjoying myself before my next contract starts

Here's a response I did last year to a very similar question. In a nutshell, laugh at anyone suggesting you join them in a LLP unless you can absolutely trust them with your entire financial future.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    Oh ok - probably explains why HMRC came up with HMRC proposes new tax rules for LLPs | AccountingWEB
    Picking on the prefered Tax vehicle for most of the Large Corporate Law firms and Accountancy houses?

Nope nothing is going to go wrong with that at all... do HMRC pick their car crashes on purpose or is it mostly asleep at the wheel?

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    Can't recall exactly but it was something like a combination of a pre paid expenses card and drawings as a member of a partnership. Seemed complicated at the time and didn't really understand it properly.

....and your NI was Class 2 and or 4
    Oh ok - probably explains why HMRC came up with HMRC proposes new tax rules for LLPs | AccountingWEB

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    How did they reckon that they could net you 80%+ take home if you don't mind me asking?
    Can't recall exactly but it was something like a combination of a pre paid expenses card and drawings as a member of a partnership. Seemed complicated at the time and didn't really understand it properly.

....and your NI was Class 2 and or 4

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    Rousseau International? I was tempted about 4 months ago but decided to stay limited. Seems legit (for the time being) though.
    How did they reckon that they could net you 80%+ take home if you don't mind me asking?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Contract View Post
    I have spoken to a company recently and they have advised joining an LLP. Does anyone have any backgroupd to LLP's?

Pros & cons etc
    Read http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post1355468

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Some interesting reading on LLP

Contractors' Questions: Which LLP users will be deemed as employees? :: Contractor UK

Another thread about LLP and Rousseau. There are quite a few so try searching further.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...rella-llp.html

More Rousseau and LLP..

LLP and IT Contractors - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Rousseau International? I was tempted about 4 months ago but decided to stay limited. Seems legit (for the time being) though.

Leave a comment:

• Contract
    started a topic LLP?

LLP?

I have spoken to a company recently and they have advised joining an LLP. Does anyone have any backgroupd to LLP's?

Pros & cons etc

Working...
X