• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Personal property stolen while at client"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    You're supposed to lock things away. I don't see the company has an obligation here. The only person liable is whoever took it.

I had a pen stolen once by a cleaner. It's just tough.
    A cleaner who steals

Most cleaners don't touch the property they clean, likewise builders if they inclined to steal will do your neighbours properties not yours.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    You are asking two different questions.

1) what can I claim through my company... Laptop yes, leather jacket no.
    and
    2) if some thing goes missing when on site, who's responsibility is it... Yours
    Obscure.

Clothing needed for my work. If you've lost your McDonalds uniform then let them know they'll get you another, if its a work shirt (I need that for work) then tough(let them know). We all need to wear clothes to work doesn't make it a business expense.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    You're supposed to lock things away. I don't see the company has an obligation here. The only person liable is whoever took it.

I had a pen stolen once by a cleaner. It's just tough.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Leave some more stuff out and setup a secret camera.....

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Quagmire View Post
    I think OP's point of view has a lot to do with the recently very popular 'dressing like slut is not asking for it' type of thinking and derives from its premises. In short the parallel goes like this:

you dress like slut - you attract more attention from potential assailants(in effect get assaulted) - you then proceed to blame everybody, but yourself

you leave your crap in the office - you take a chance to lose it, no matter stolen or cleaned up(you lose it) - you then proceed to expect the client or someone else to pay for it

What a shame.
    That's an unsavoury comparison Quagmire. People getting assaulted because of what they wear bears no relation to leaving items unattended.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by North887 View Post
    Well im not being specific as I dont know who actually uses these forums.
    But then you are more likely to get your "personal item" back.

For example if you stated I left a cardigan on the back of my chair and it went missing and someone who thinks they work in the same office knows someone who picked up a cardigan you would get it back.

BTW If you have lost a womens cardigan in the past two years or so in various offices in London and the SE I always dump them on reception when the receptionist isn't looking.

Leave a comment:

• Quagmire
    replied
    I think OP's point of view has a lot to do with the recently very popular 'dressing like slut is not asking for it' type of thinking and derives from its premises. In short the parallel goes like this:

you dress like slut - you attract more attention from potential assailants(in effect get assaulted) - you then proceed to blame everybody, but yourself

you leave your crap in the office - you take a chance to lose it, no matter stolen or cleaned up(you lose it) - you then proceed to expect the client or someone else to pay for it

What a shame.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied

I think the general point is to just suck it up as id expect the wholly and exclusively arguement wouldnt stand up.

However for arguments sake say this was a laptop or some other item which would satisfy the wholly and exclusively rule, would that differ much.
    You are asking two different questions.

1) what can I claim through my company... Laptop yes, leather jacket no.
    and
    2) if some thing goes missing when on site, who's responsibility is it... Yours

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Troll or moron, maybe both.

If the OP had been, I have had some safety clothing taken from my desk which I leave there at weekends cos it's only needed when on site blah blah. Then the answer may have been. Make sure your company equipment is marked as such and make sure the client is aware that there is an opportunist about. Since it's YourCo equipment, buy another through your company etc... But we know this won't have been the case. It will be some new shoes or a suit jacket that the OP bought for the role but doesn't want to wear them on his cycle home or some such bollux.

Leave a comment:

• North887
    replied
    Also apologies for the text speak but touch key pads arent my favourites.

Leave a comment:

• North887
    replied

I think the general point is to just suck it up as id expect the wholly and exclusively arguement wouldnt stand up.

However for arguments sake say this was a laptop or some other item which would satisfy the wholly and exclusively rule, would that differ much.

Leave a comment:

• ExPermie
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Otherwise this drip feed of info is just fcking annoying to people trying to help!
    Especially the OP's "im", "ud", "id" and "itd" txt-speak nonsense.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    can't see any company "picking up the tab" for any personal or "your company" owned item.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Hi

It was an item of clothing, not the sort of thing ud expect to be taken. Its definately not been cleaned up, someone had sticky fingers.

I only asked about the client covering as when I was a perm I worked a few places where im sure they would have picked up the tab for it. My argument for my service company covering it would that itd be a genuine cost of employment. The item was required to do the work, it wasnt something id ever used in a personal capacity.
    Again, you are being vague. If it is something that is wholly and exclusively required for you to do your role then yes it's a company expense but you are saying it's a personal item. which is it? This would be a lot simpler if you said "someone has stolen my hard hat" in the OP.

Otherwise this drip feed of info is just fcking annoying to people trying to help!

Leave a comment:

• North887
    replied
    Hi

It was an item of clothing, not the sort of thing ud expect to be taken. Its definately not been cleaned up, someone had sticky fingers.

I only asked about the client covering as when I was a perm I worked a few places where im sure they would have picked up the tab for it. My argument for my service company covering it would that itd be a genuine cost of employment. The item was required to do the work, it wasnt something id ever used in a personal capacity.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X