• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: War Chest.

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "War Chest."

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    WTS - offset.

Also worth considering a fixed rate and then if interest rates go up, it may be worthwhile taking it out of the offset and putting into a higher (even with tax taken into account) rate savings account.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Good idea as long as you can whip it out again if you need it...
    It's just like having a £500k overdraft. There's no downsides to it.

Apart from the obvious downsides of spending the money, having no repayment plan, and relying on a housing boom to increase the value of your house enough to pay it off, but still leave you with enough to find somewhere else to live when you have to repay the mortgage.
    Last edited by TheFaQQer; 3 June 2013, 15:06.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Beaten by a knob... the shame
    lol!
    nano-seconds, I'm sure of it!!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Are you thinking of overpaying your mortgage?

You don't need to overpay your mortgage monthly payment to benefit from offsetting.
    Beaten by a knob... the shame

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Are you thinking of overpaying your mortgage?

You don't need to overpay your mortgage monthly payment to benefit from offsetting.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    You don't put it in anywhere. You link a bank account to your mortgage and any money in that account is offset against the mortgage... hence the name.... You can access the money in the account just as you would normally. It just doesn't get any interest.

If you put it in to the mortgage it is an overpayment, not an offset.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    My strategy for this is to put a lump 3 months living and business expenses (insurance, accountant etc) in a savings account with my corp tax. Then each month keep aside a small % to top it up until it get's up to 12 months worth then probably stop

Got it in a Santander business savings account with monthly interest, adds up when it's sat there with corp tax...

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    Offset mortgage account... simples

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    This.

Although I'm not sure what happens if you pay off the mortgage and then still need to borrow against the account. Probably need to ask the bank that, as I'm getting to the point where my yearly dividend will pay the mortgage off completely, but I'll need more later in the year.
    You don't pay it off, the offset just reduces the interest. I thought if you had 100K mortgage with 120K in an offset account you would just pay zero interest on your set monthly payments until you have paid it off. Your monthly payments will ALL go to paying off capital if your offset is greater than your mortgage. If you want to put the lump sum in and actually pay the bank it (not in the offset account) the mortgage would be considered paid off. You are only offsetting against the interest... or so I thought. Happy to be told otherwise though.

TBH I never intended to keep mine as long as this and expected to either pay it off with a lump sum or get a better deal in a couple of years so hadn't given it much thought.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    This.

Although I'm not sure what happens if you pay off the mortgage and then still need to borrow against the account. Probably need to ask the bank that, as I'm getting to the point where my yearly dividend will pay the mortgage off completely, but I'll need more later in the year.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Hmmm. Only trouble with this whereas its nice to pay off the mortgage rather than having it sit in a crap interest account once its gone on the mortgage its gone.

No good having paid £50K off the mortgage to find out in three months you're warchest is all gone.

I'd say 3 months is cutting it a bit fine. Admitedly, its a balancing act between paying off debts and keeping some readily available.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by TOSH1 View Post
    I ca do abut three months on the bench, the rest is in my pension and paying off the mortgage,
    Hmmm. Only trouble with this whereas its nice to pay off the mortgage rather than having it sit in a crap interest account once its gone on the mortgage its gone.

No good having paid £50K off the mortgage to find out in three months you're warchest is all gone.

I'd say 3 months is cutting it a bit fine. Admitedly, its a balancing act between paying off debts and keeping some readily available.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by permidom View Post
    What would generate that passive income?

I use the stock market myself.
    Shares / Divvies
    Bonds
    ISAs
    Buy to Lets
    Zopa
    Ratesetter
    Funding Circle
    Credit Card Schmoozing

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Sock market is up and down but gives you a better return.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by permidom View Post
    What would generate that passive income?

I use the stock market myself.
    Rather a risky option. Shares go up and down in value, dividends aren't guaranteed.

At least with property you can be reasonably sure about getting a monthly income.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X