• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: CV Template

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "CV Template"

Collapse

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Since agents can't send emails out using BCC I doubt they know how to do "fancy" stuff in Word like change a documents font without butchering it.
    LOL! TBH, Im finding a lot more sending BCC emails nowadays so they've no excuse.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    I'd expect even the most dim witted computer illiterate agent \ HR knows how to use Word and have their docs set to Page Width. 12 point would blow their eyeballs out the back of their skull and tbh, I'd be a bit overwhelmed to get a doc in 12 point font.

But I hear ya, SueEllen. I hear ya
    Since agents can't send emails out using BCC I doubt they know how to do "fancy" stuff in Word like change a documents font without butchering it.

Leave a comment:

• flambo
    replied
    CV Template

It was in delicious technicolor. Hard to crack one out to but certainly possible...

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by flambo View Post
    I've decided to get with the kids. My last cv was a full page A4 of me in gold spandex pants with the meme "he good at Java yo!". No calls so far
    I'd look twice if it was in colour (but probably never again). If u r gd @ Java thn lk @ Vodafone site n fix. Thanks awfully old chap.

Leave a comment:

• flambo
    replied
    CV Template

I've decided to get with the kids. My last cv was a full page A4 of me in gold spandex pants with the meme "he good at Java yo!". No calls so far

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    An agent recently told me to increase the font on my cv to something like 12 and 'not to worry' if your cv is 6 or more pages long. Apparently its a load of dog's dangly bits about a cv needing to be no more than 2 pages because 'no one prints them out' any more.

This was from Computer People, though.

set your cv out as

Personal details ie name, email, mobi number

Personal Profile

Your Skills

Your achievements

Your roles in chronological detail starting with most recent.
    Mine is laid out like this and I edit the older roles every now and then so it is no more than 3 pages. I've been told it's a good cv (even if it was written by the brothers Grimm) 'cos it's easy to read.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    My CV has always been around 12 font.

Even though people don't always print CVs out anymore there are a lot of long sighted people around.
    I'd expect even the most dim witted computer illiterate agent \ HR knows how to use Word and have their docs set to Page Width. 12 point would blow their eyeballs out the back of their skull and tbh, I'd be a bit overwhelmed to get a doc in 12 point font.

But I hear ya, SueEllen. I hear ya

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    An agent recently told me to increase the font on my cv to something like 12 and 'not to worry' if your cv is 6 or more pages long. Apparently its a load of dog's dangly bits about a cv needing to be no more than 2 pages because 'no one prints them out' any more.
    My CV has always been around 12 font.

Even though people don't always print CVs out anymore there are a lot of long sighted people around.

Leave a comment:

• rurffy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    What an absurd thought. If they all did that my custom per role CV won't be quite as effective
    I am so liking this .. :

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by blacksta View Post
    Hope you are not implying creating a cv for every job one applies to
    Lordy no, what an outrageous idea!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by blacksta View Post
    What an absurd thought. If they all did that my custom per role CV won't be quite as effective

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Word97 CV wizard. Works every time.

qh

Leave a comment:

• blacksta
    replied
    Why not turn this around and think about what the agent/client is looking for? You are going for a single role that will have a very specific skill set and requirement. Ask yourself... will 5 pages of guff really show off exactly what you need to get the role.

You need to be able to demonstrate you have many years experience doing exactly what they want and no more. Being a good egg and having lots of experience in technology/skills the client doesn't want is just utterly pointless. Chop out anything that is not related to the role you are going for and I bet your CV won't be 5 pages long.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I can't imagine anybody scrolling down to page 5 anyway.

Mine has all key skills in bullet points on the first page, starting with the most important one. That's what people are going to care about the most (especially agents). Nobody wants to read a 5 page description of your achievements, goals, roles and responsibilities over the years to discover whether or not you know some C#.

Leave a comment:

• rurffy
    replied
    Why not turn this around and think about what the agent/client is looking for? You are going for a single role that will have a very specific skill set and requirement. Ask yourself... will 5 pages of guff really show off exactly what you need to get the role.

You need to be able to demonstrate you have many years experience doing exactly what they want and no more. Being a good egg and having lots of experience in technology/skills the client doesn't want is just utterly pointless. Chop out anything that is not related to the role you are going for and I bet your CV won't be 5 pages long.
    + 1

Leave a comment:

Working...
X