• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What to do - Contract Finishes tmrw"

Collapse

• captainham
    replied
    Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    Invoke Space Corp Directive #196156
    196156? Any officer caught sniffing the saddle of the exercise bicycle in the women's gym will be discharged without trial? Hmm. I'm sorry, sir, that doesn't quite get to the nub of the matter for me.

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Invoke Space Corp Directive #196156

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    It was a Leap Year this year....hence the "loss" of a day.
    Was it? I don't remember invoicing it....

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    I hate it when I get to the end of a thread and realise that I've been reading posts that are months if not years old

Oh well, back to work...

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Originally posted by captainham View Post
    24th last year, 23rd this year...looks like a bug in the firewall, OP should check the NTP settings. I expect a full report back on the 22nd of April 2015.
    It was a Leap Year this year....hence the "loss" of a day.

Leave a comment:

• captainham
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    They have a very effective Firewall which blocks CUK, except for certain days in April, each year!
    24th last year, 23rd this year...looks like a bug in the firewall, OP should check the NTP settings. I expect a full report back on the 22nd of April 2015.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    Are you only allowed on to the internet one day a year?
    They have a very effective Firewall which blocks CUK, except for certain days in April, each year!

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Are you only allowed on to the internet one day a year?

Leave a comment:

• MrHelpful
    replied
    I got the rate rise eventually... not straight away but got my rise with a year extension. BOOM! and they let the other contractor go.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    Was just about to say that. Be fully prepared to walk or STFU.
    This.

Since the contract ended two days ago, I'd be interested to know which path the OP took.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    Totally. Remember the agents will have heard this time and time again, possibly from nearly every contractor on the books. They know all they could lose is some commission while they re-fill the role which won't take long. You have the chance to lose your income for a couple of months. They will be very well versed in the bluster contractors give them and back down. Water of a ducks back to them so you have to be serious about the walking. If you are not they will spot it a mile off.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Originally posted by proggy View Post
    It's very simple, tell the agent unless you get the rate rise you will walk, no ifs not buts.They will either call back later offering you a rise or you will have to find a new contract.

Leave a comment:

• proggy
    replied
    It's very simple, tell the agent unless you get the rate rise you will walk, no ifs not buts.They will either call back later offering you a rise or you will have to find a new contract.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by kal View Post
    22% seems high, especially after 15 months, call their bluff if you can afford to walk...
    WKS, depends how daring your are. Would be nice to pull it off though.

On a previous contract I was told by the agent that they charged 12% for 2 years and 5% after that, which seems fairer
    Last edited by Scrag Meister; 24 April 2013, 07:47.

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    WHS 100%

I buy all this - but I also think that the agents business model, over the years has been:

1. Oversell risks to clients of going direct
    2. Take the rate for the deal, then take the rate for any continuing business.
    3. Buy agents as cheaply as possible - no longer is anything more than a history at the carphone warehouse required, for the most prestigious agencies.
    4. Mislead EVERYONE.

For me, this is why I think we're forced to use agents - I've been contracting a while now and know some (VERY) big multinationals that are sold the "preferred vendors" arrangement on hyperbole and crap from agencies.

The big agencies have made a very good job of sewing up the industry. Personally I think they are the single most risk to my business - not an enabler at all. Agents tend to have such poor knowledge that they represent you far worse than you could yourself - they make us look 20% more expensive and do absolutely nothing for that cash other than an initial sale.

Dead leads... sheesh.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X