• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: positive spin

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "positive spin"

Collapse

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    Oh fvcc! Bvtterfingers!

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    Oh fvcc! Bvtterfingers!

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to devceive.

Leave a comment:

• Andy Hallett
    replied
    The contract finished early, this happens all the time.

As many others have said, be upfront that the structure changed and now you are available.

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Lying to cover it up is the worst thing you can do. A lie can be unravelled. Don't say anything and you haven't lied.
    Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to devceive.

Make your life easier, don't lie.

Grovelling is for permies.

Leave a comment:

• Bluenose
    replied
    I don't see why. It is well documented on here not to provide a client as a reference and an agent is going to do no more than qualify the dates the contractor worked.
    I was reffering to the post interview stage where the client want to offer you a contract, not the skull-duggery "i just need two references" bs.

I find that is usually down to the descretion of the client you are trying to get a gig at. Out of my last 5 contracts only this current one really needed a past reference.

If they request it, a good reference from your previous manager sometimes can improve your chances greatly against the competition.

Not having a reference from previous contract may not be a deal breaker in a majority of offers but it might be for that contract you really wanted.

Good luck anyway to the OP, it has/will happen to us all at some stage.

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    WCS

Some newbie agents get confused as some of my contracts are for odd durations i.e. 2 months, 11 months instead of 3 months or 12 months but I just point out to them that's how long the project lasted.
    Sad, sad, that we have to work with people who don't understand that some contracts are not jobs. Like, if the contract is to beef up internal support and help clear the backlog of tickets, it will only last as long as the backlog of tickets. If the contract is for data migration, it will end when the data is migrated. Etc etc.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by curtis View Post
    Since I started contracting I have never been asked why I left my last contract, why would they as everyone pretty much takes it that if you were at your last contract for 2 months then it was a 2 month contract, if you were there for 6 months it was a 6 month contract.
    WCS

Some newbie agents get confused as some of my contracts are for odd durations i.e. 2 months, 11 months instead of 3 months or 12 months but I just point out to them that's how long the project lasted.

Leave a comment:

• curtis
    replied
    Since I started contracting I have never been asked why I left my last contract, why would they as everyone pretty much takes it that if you were at your last contract for 2 months then it was a 2 month contract, if you were there for 6 months it was a 6 month contract.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Lying to cover it up is the worst thing you can do. A lie can be unravelled. Don't say anything and you haven't lied.
    I only lie as much as agents lie to me.

A fair trade, I think.

Leave a comment:

• socialworker
    replied
    I am in a different sector from you but if it is any help so far (3 contracts_ I have never been asked why I left a previous job. Crap managers are so common these days that people will assume that is the real reason. When I left my permanent job of 15 years I was worried about explaining why (fell out with crap new manager). I decided if anyone asked I would tell them straight, because dressing it up was bound to sound false. It has worked for me so far. I dont go on about how awful it was, just say it didnt suit me any more so time to move. Whatever you say, make it something you mean, then you will sound convincing. Never been much good at bull**** myself.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by 12trees View Post
    How can I best present this to agencies and then to a new client.
    "Well, I was on a three month contract... But they liked me so much they asked me to renew for another three months. So it ended up being six months in the end."

"After six months, the project was completed to the client's complete satisfaction. So we parted company very amicably."

"I still play golf with a few of the Directors."

"They have my details on file and say they'll be in touch if any other projects become available in the future."

"They say they always like to stick with people who have delivered for them and that they can trust."

But hey, the above is just me. Still, that kind of BS has kept me in contract work for the last 25 years...

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    It was a 12 month project, but as you were so good, you finished it early and under budget.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Surely one of the advantages of being a contractor is you dont have to get into this reference/why did you leave bollacks?

Contracts end for a variety of reasons. Clients have various ways of ending it. Some will make up some crap just to make themselves feel better sometimes. Sometimes they will imply its your fault - you cant win that argument. Doesnt matter one jot.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X