• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Paying Corporation Tax through Barclays"

Collapse

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by knight007 View Post
    -If you call barclays at around 2pm, you will get the UK call centre instead.
    -You can request barclays to increase your limit
    Upgrade to Barclays Premier Banking - dedicated UK based contact and direct lines to school leavers, I mean relationship managers

Leave a comment:

• knight007
    replied
    -If you call barclays at around 2pm, you will get the UK call centre instead.
    -You can request barclays to increase your limit

Leave a comment:

• darrenb
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    I just had to jump through a couple of hoops as my Corporation Tax was greater than the £20k limit used by Barclays on their "Make a Payment" option.
    Yeah, if you have to pay more than 500k in tax, the process is even trickier. Speaking from bitter personal experience of course.

Any ladies on the forum by the way?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    A friend's accountant suggested setting up a West Indies branch to work around that problem - you're paying more than Google aren't you
    But more seriously it's better to keep ca 80% of the money in the LTd than to spend it on stupid expenses...
    Great point! So often people want to buy x and y from the company forgetting a majority of it comes out of their pocket in the end.

Leave a comment:

• yasockie
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    If you are paying more than £20k Corp Tax I would find a better accountant!
    A friend's accountant suggested setting up a West Indies branch to work around that problem - you're paying more than Google aren't you
    But more seriously it's better to keep ca 80% of the money in the LTd than to spend it on stupid expenses...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Can't you send multiple payments under £20k to the sum of the overall amount ?
    That's what normal people do to get around banks' arbitrary limits on faster payment transfers.

Alternatively you can actually pay online through the HMRC website using a business debit card if your bank is stupid, like mine has been in the past, and blacks out HMRC account numbers so you don't know if you are paying to the correct HMRC account.

I should add they also prevented you from setting up payments to HMRC yourself and default to the blacked out numbers if you attempted to do this.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 29 December 2012, 15:34.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    I just had to jump through a couple of hoops as my Corporation Tax was greater than the £20k limit used by Barclays on their "Make a Payment" option. If you're trying to make a payment > £20k, don't select the account name (to whom you're paying) from the automatic list that comes up while you're entering the name, sort code or account number.
    Can't you send multiple payments under £20k to the sum of the overall amount ?

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Walk into bank branch and make CHAPs transfer.
    You have to pay to make a CHAPS transfer - online transfer is no charge.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I think any more than 3 payments - and I would have done that. It was easier (and cheaper) to make the payment over 3 days than haul myself down to the branch with passport etc.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

Or just ask Darren to pay your tax...

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Yep this was my backup option, but I'm not as confident in HMRC's systems as you sound
    Nor was I to begin with, so I

a) Checked with them before I started that multiple payments would be fine
    b) Called them a few days after the last payment to confirm they had received all the payments and had been allocated to the correct corp tax year.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    This is why I love my cheque book

Pay it over the counter at a bank and it counts as an "electronic" payment.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If you are paying more than £20k Corp Tax I would find a better accountant!
    I dunno, I think he just wanted to tell us how much he'd earned

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    I just had to jump through a couple of hoops as my Corporation Tax was greater than the £20k limit used by Barclays on their "Make a Payment" option. If you're trying to make a payment > £20k, don't select the account name (to whom you're paying) from the automatic list that comes up while you're entering the name, sort code or account number.

For example, while typing in Payee name of "HMRC", a list pops up with HMRC Corp. Tax etc etc but you need to ignore those and just type in the name yourself.

You have to go through all boxes and enter all details manually, then you'll be allowed to make a payment up to £50k.

I called telephone banking and the Indians weren't helpful (they just cut me off ) but on my second attempt I was lucky to get a lovely sounding lady Gem who told me what I needed to do.

Just thought I'd post this in case someone else gets stuck!
    Why is any sane contractor using barcrap for their banking!?

They royally screw contractors at every opportunity. No way those shysters are getting any of my business.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    You can still earn a lot and pay less tax
    Yes I have thought about skipping on VAT payments but the jail time just isn't worth it
    Seriously though my costs are quite low and I don't push the boundary too much on what I claim - just the usual mileage, food etc (< 2 years). I'll probably buy a new laptop soon so that'll be the biggest expense in a while.

Originally posted by centurian View Post
    My bank had an ever lower daily limit, so I just made 3 separate payments over 3 days.

Just use the same reference number for each payment and HMRC's system allocates them all fine - although I did ensure that each payment was for a slightly different amount so that if one payment went missing, I could work out which one it was.
    Yep this was my backup option, but I'm not as confident in HMRC's systems as you sound

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    My bank had an ever lower daily limit, so I just made 3 separate payments over 3 days.

Just use the same reference number for each payment and HMRC's system allocates them all fine - although I did ensure that each payment was for a slightly different amount so that if one payment went missing, I could work out which one it was.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X