• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Working hours

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Working hours"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    There is a fine line calling the clients though. A client paying for an expensive contractor expects to work them hard and take no crap. You can hardly call a client a twat for wanting their pound of flesh and not being flexible with moaning contractors. There is a line that can be crossed as well I agree but still.
    I agree with you. If client is paying top dollar then they dont want any hassle off you.

BUT, whereas most play the game fairly and allow a bit of give and take, there are those who have a chip on their shoulder. They seem to think that because they are paying a premium its their right to screw the contractor for as many hours per day as they can.

For instance, I remember a recent post where the client told contractor he was a temp and had to have last choice of holidays. Talk about treating contractor like crap.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Some clients are twats that is clear. But like someone said, I know theres all this D+C stuff but most of them dont give a rats arse about your personal situation.

Then again a lot will try to tell you what to do with regards to holidays / time etc.

Im not sure about this agreeing at the interview stage unless its a show stopper for you. Puts clients off when you're on about leaving early before you even started.

But, if I was in your situation, like others have said, I'd just do it and see what happens. Chances are they wont moan about it but if they do, then you know what they think and its time to get another contract.
    There is a fine line calling the clients though. A client paying for an expensive contractor expects to work them hard and take no crap. You can hardly call a client a twat for wanting their pound of flesh and not being flexible with moaning contractors. There is a line that can be crossed as well I agree but still.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Some clients are twats that is clear. But like someone said, I know theres all this D+C stuff but most of them dont give a rats arse about your personal situation.

Then again a lot will try to tell you what to do with regards to holidays / time etc.

Im not sure about this agreeing at the interview stage unless its a show stopper for you. Puts clients off when you're on about leaving early before you even started.

But, if I was in your situation, like others have said, I'd just do it and see what happens. Chances are they wont moan about it but if they do, then you know what they think and its time to get another contract.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Ask or check whether it's an inconvenience?

There is a difference.
    WSS. BIG BIG BIG Agree.

Leave a comment:

• Butcheroo
    replied
    Working hours

Would be interesting to see what else they don't let you do from an IR35 perspective though. Could open a bit of a can of worms. If it is just working times and you can't have flexibility as no one else does you might be able to work your way around it (IR35 wise) but is thsi the only thing they won't budge on?
    Was going to ask the same. Trying to learn from you about control and surely having to ask all this permission shouts control and inside ir35. Employee alert

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Imagine what IBM would do in your situation. If they had a consultant on site who wanted to leave early and had cleared it with IBM they would not normally ask the project manager's permission.

They might inform him and at the business level (in other words, with your MD hat on) discuss things with him to reach a mutually convenient compromise but managers on site do not manage IBM's workers, IBM does that and the contract they agree with the client provides a framework for expectations.

However, whether your manager sees it this way is another thing altogether! Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Swamp Thing
    replied
    Originally posted by simplicity View Post
    We have to ask before taking holidays too.
    Have to say, you sound well inside the D&C guidelines for IR35; I'd start to mirror in the workplace what your contract hopefully says - be autonomous.

The previous contributors are 100% on this - don't ask, just state what you are going to do - holiday, WFH, etc etc. First and foremost you're a business, so act like you're in a B2B relationship (God, I think I'm sounding like NLUK )

One more thing for your next gig: at first interview don't raise anything about hours, WFH, holiday etc. Asking these questions makes you sound like work-to-rule. Treat the interview like a business presentation.

Assuming you then get a follow-up interview, you can bring in some of these questions, but do it in an informal way. If after 1st interview you get an offer, then raise the questions with your pimp.

But TBH, I wouldn't raise them at all. Just start the gig, assert your requirements from Day 1 and everything else will fall into place.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I think some clever wording on your part could also mean this isn't an issue. If you fall in to the mind set of having to ask for permission to take holidays you are just shooting yourself in the foot.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    oh dear...surely the 50 hour weeks done in the past warrant some sympathy?? never get overtime...
    If it's a long term client then you should have just disappeared when it was appropriate.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Ask or check whether it's an inconvenience?

There is a difference.

Leave a comment:

• simplicity
    replied
    Would be interesting to see what else they don't let you do from an IR35 perspective though. Could open a bit of a can of worms. If it is just working times and you can't have flexibility as no one else does you might be able to work your way around it (IR35 wise) but is thsi the only thing they won't budge on?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    So why did you take the contract? To the client, you are just a facility to be used and they do not give a damn about your personal circumstances, they have enough to worry about with their permie resource.

I am not wishing to be confrontational but am looking at it from the client perspective. Prior to renewal time, I would look for a role with a shorter commute / working hours.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    At my contract 8 hours work is expected per day, there is no homeworking or flexitime. For working mums this is tricky with an hour commute and kids homework rtc to do in the evening. I asked if I could work a slightly shorter day on some days e.g 7 hours and it has caused a fuss. I know other contractors on different projects at the same company who work a 7 hour day everyday while getting same daily rate.

All I was asking was to be paid for the hours I do -so if I do 7 hours I get paid for 7 and not 8...am I being unreasonable?
    It isn't unreasonable to ask. It is unreasonable to get upset if you don't get it. Sometimes clients are flexible, sometimes they aren't. That's life. You can't expect every client to bend to your demands. Also remember you are not an employee of the company, you have a business relationship. Permies can get very upset when contractors get flexibility they don't.

Some clients are great and don't give a monkies as long as you deliver, some won't budge an inch. Always worth asking but you are gonna have to take the answer on the chin sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    3. Do what you have to, and take the consequences.

I was on one contract where I came in towards midday on Mondays, and left in mid-afternoon on Fridays, to get the trains that suited me. Nobody ever said anything and I was renewed a couple of times. Another contractor on the same team wanted to do the same, so he asked: and was refused.
    A general principle for life: it is easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission. Just be prepared to take the consequences, though it pay off 9 times out of 10.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X