• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is Contracting a problem for house sharing?"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by farout117 View Post
    So basically I can register the LTD at the accountants, and then have a correspondence address at the tenancy. And that should not raise HMRC's eyebrows right?
    Do you actually read what's posted on the thread?

The answer anyway is "Yes". Lots of people do that.

Leave a comment:

• farout117
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Yes, HMRC allow a correspondence address which is different where the company is registered so that isn't a problem and VAT isn't strictly doing business so don't think it would affect insurance.
    So basically I can register the LTD at the accountants, and then have a correspondence address at the tenancy. And that should not raise HMRC's eyebrows right?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Some posters on here managed to get their landlord to allow them to use the address for VAT and other letters.

I know one of my landlords was fine with the 2 blokes I was sharing with to do that.

They however weren't allowed conduct business from the premise i.e. have visitors, work from home.
    Yes, HMRC allow a correspondence address which is different where the company is registered so that isn't a problem and VAT isn't strictly doing business so don't think it would affect insurance.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 5 October 2012, 09:44.

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    You can do it from your accountants and would have to use this as your business would be registered at your landlords house which he will certainly not like. Don't think HMRC will be best pleased either.
    VAT registration now stipulates on the form that you cannot use an accountants address, but you can still authorise them as an agent, obviously.

So flat rate VAT is a definate no no, based on the form I got just last month.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    All the landlords insurances I looked at (well 3 of them anyway) were very clear that no business can be done from the property so there is no negotiating. No business else his insurance is invalid. I would ask the landlord particularly if he is covered as he probably doesn't know or may not care.
    Some posters on here managed to get their landlord to allow them to use the address for VAT and other letters.

I know one of my landlords was fine with the 2 blokes I was sharing with to do that.

They however weren't allowed conduct business from the premise i.e. have visitors, work from home.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    See my post above.

Also have a search on these forums for "Darren Upton". You are advised not to use your own accountants address but an office company's who will forward your post to you.
    Advised not to by who?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Can't I used the accountancy address? I think they do offer that kind of service for an extra fee from what I have read here.

So to set up a LTD, you cannot be flat-sharing?
    You can do it from your accountants and would have to use this as your business would be registered at your landlords house which he will certainly not like. Don't think HMRC will be best pleased either.

Leave a comment:

• farout117
    replied
    TBH the fact you are out of the UK is going to give you more problems that your contracting. They are not allowed to say no <insert whatever the PC bridade cry about here> and cannot turn you down based on all those things but I bet there will be a lot of rich excuses.

People come in, f' the place over and then leave. Utter nightmare.

To be fair that isn't confined to any group of people. Well paid 25-35 year old blokes are just as bad but that isn't the debate here.
    Yeah maybe a reference from previous landlords would be much better than a work reference

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Can't I used the accountancy address? I think they do offer that kind of service for an extra fee from what I have read here.

See my post above.

Also have a search on these forums for "Darren Upton". You are advised not to use your own accountants address but an office company's who will forward your post to you.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Virtually all tenancy agreements whether you are sharing or not say that. It's up to you to negotiate with the landlord to use it as a trading address for VAT purposes.
    All the landlords insurances I looked at (well 3 of them anyway) were very clear that no business can be done from the property so there is no negotiating. No business else his insurance is invalid. I would ask the landlord particularly if he is covered as he probably doesn't know or may not care.

Leave a comment:

• farout117
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    You may have problems regarding the registration of your LTD and any VAT registration.

It's often in shared house tenancy agreements that the tenancy is residence only and not business purposes. If the owner has a registered business there, it may raise eyebrows.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    You may have problems regarding the registration of your LTD and any VAT registration.
    Ltd registration can be at your accountants or an office company's address.

VAT is your trading address so it can be where you live.

It's often in shared house tenancy agreements that the tenancy is residence only and not business purposes.
    Virtually all tenancy agreements whether you are sharing or not say that. It's up to you to negotiate with the landlord to use it as a trading address for VAT purposes.

If the owner has a registered business there, it may raise eyebrows.
    If the owner has a business registered in a property they rent out they are an idiot.
    There is no guarantee that the tenants will:
    a. Let them into the property,
    b. Hand over the post.

In a houseshare I lived in other tenants dumped the post for people who didn't live in the property in the bin. This is completely legal as they weren't using the post for fraudulent purposes and the post had been delivered to the house.

There is also nothing legally stopping more than one business using an address.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    TBH the fact you are out of the UK is going to give you more problems that your contracting. They are not allowed to say no <insert whatever the PC bridade cry about here> and cannot turn you down based on all those things but I bet there will be a lot of rich excuses.

People come in, f' the place over and then leave. Utter nightmare.

To be fair that isn't confined to any group of people. Well paid 25-35 year old blokes are just as bad but that isn't the debate here.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    As a British national but not resident, I also cannot be credit-checked. It wasn't a problem last time I rented a flat for a few months in the UK.

If all else fails, a suitcase full of twenties usually does the trick.

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied

It's often in shared house tenancy agreements that the tenancy is residence only and not business purposes. If the owner has a registered business there, it may raise eyebrows.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X