• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Contracting a problem for house sharing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Contracting a problem for house sharing?

Hi All

As you may know by now, I am relocating to the UK early next year, and to start with, I will be flat sharing. I have a question though, would it be a problem for a landlord if I have a contract and not a permanent job? Wherever I have flat-shared before (outside of the UK) the landlord will always want proof of "stable" work. If I do take a contract, and have a LTD, will a letter from my LTD be enough?

I know most probably its more on a case by case, but what is the general feeling?

Sometimes it is a problem. I have had landlords question my earnings ability, but as soon as you show them your contract with your rate they usually realise you're good for the money. You could always offer more of a deposit if you have to

Comment

Originally posted by farout117 View Post
      Hi All

As you may know by now, I am relocating to the UK early next year, and to start with, I will be flat sharing. I have a question though, would it be a problem for a landlord if I have a contract and not a permanent job? Wherever I have flat-shared before (outside of the UK) the landlord will always want proof of "stable" work. If I do take a contract, and have a LTD, will a letter from my LTD be enough?

I know most probably its more on a case by case, but what is the general feeling?

Yeah, we all know you are relocating to UK, we know you will be flat sharing, we know you will face problems dealing with your landlord, we know you have shared flat before when you were outside UK, we know landlords prefer tenants who have professional stability. We also know that this is a wrong place to ask this question. You should repost in "General".

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
        Sometimes it is a problem. I have had landlords question my earnings ability, but as soon as you show them your contract with your rate they usually realise you're good for the money. You could always offer more of a deposit if you have to
        Yeah I guess showing them the contract is proof enough. When I was in Ireland, once I had to issue a letter from the umbrella I was working for, that I was working for them, and it was good enough. Don't know how it works in the UK though, guess very similar

Comment

Originally posted by skipjack View Post
          Yeah, we all know you are relocating to UK, we know you will be flat sharing, we know you will face problems dealing with your landlord, we know you have shared flat before when you were outside UK, we know landlords prefer tenants who have professional stability. We also know that this is a wrong place to ask this question. You should repost in "General".
          You know too much about me its true.

I posted here because I thought it was a relevant post since its asking about contracting. How do I move to General?

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
            I've done that a couple of times when I've rented. Six months or a year rent in advance tends to reduce the landlord's worry about not being able to pay the rent. Of course it does mean that you can't change your mind.
            Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by farout117 View Post

With direct landlords it's a case by case basis.

Estate/Letting Agencies are likely to have an issue with it. More so because you aren't a British National so won't have any information to credit check you on.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                With direct landlords it's a case by case basis.

Estate/Letting Agencies are likely to have an issue with it. More so because you aren't a British National so won't have any information to credit check you on.
                Thanks Sue

I was not going to be bothered with Letting Agents. I would look directly myself.

And as some suggested here, maybe a bigger deposit

Comment

You may have problems regarding the registration of your LTD and any VAT registration.

It's often in shared house tenancy agreements that the tenancy is residence only and not business purposes. If the owner has a registered business there, it may raise eyebrows.

Comment

As a British national but not resident, I also cannot be credit-checked. It wasn't a problem last time I rented a flat for a few months in the UK.

If all else fails, a suitcase full of twenties usually does the trick.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X