• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "First Contract - What Daily Rate & Expenses"

Collapse

• Bluenose
    replied
    Originally posted by miniboy View Post
    I have just left full time employment on a salary of £95k and £15k commission plus usual company benefits, pension car, etc. and now starting in interim Management and have approached for a senior role on what is likely to be a 6 month contract. I concentrated on selling my ability to be a success and will not discuss my daily rate until next week.

The role is likely mean spending the majority of time on site in Europe and have no real idea of the following.

1) What would be a reasonable equivalent day rate to my old perm package?

2) With regards to expenses what would be reasonable for flights, accommodation, meals, laundry etc etc

All advice welcome.

Many thanks
    What country and will it be one or many different ones?

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Sounds like you have the key element sorted, namely securing work.
    Rest is details but dont sell yourself cheap, they will judge you on what you ask for so make sure you are 'reassuringly expensive'.
    I think 850+ per day is not unreasonable at that level but think about exp too as these can add up.
    If they accept your first rate offer, you didn't ask for enough...

Leave a comment:

• miniboy
    replied
    Thanks for all the great info guys. I am talking to Brooksons who have an overseas department who in turn have partners they work with 'in country'
    Thanks again

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    I would look into the Dual Taxation Agreements that are in place when working abroad other you're going to get spanked for tax and look at the HMRC6

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    When I was overseas as a permie I could always claim laundry as an expense. It might be unusual (I have never tried it in a different company) but it is not an unreasonable question.
    Since the cost is going to be a BIK, then what's the point?

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Laundry isn't going to be paid by the client. Get a grip, or get your mum to wash it for you.
    When I was overseas as a permie I could always claim laundry as an expense. It might be unusual (I have never tried it in a different company) but it is not an unreasonable question.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I have just left full time employment on a salary of £95k and £15k commission plus usual company benefits, pension car, etc. and now starting in interim Management and have approached for a senior role on what is likely to be a 6 month contract. I concentrated on selling my ability to be a success and will not discuss my daily rate until next week.

The role is likely mean spending the majority of time on site in Europe and have no real idea of the following.

2) With regards to expenses what would be reasonable for flights, accommodation, meals, laundry etc etc

All advice welcome.

Many thanks
    Negotiate a slightly lower rate to be based nearby in the UK, and then get them to sort the expenses and travel out. That way, they have an incentive to keep you near home to reduce costs, and you don't run the risk of pricing yourself too low my miscalculating the expenses for getting to the sites.

A few years back, I did a project in London. When I started the role, it used to cost me about £40 on a Monday to fly down. Mid-way through, the airline changed the type of plane so there were no cheap seats available, and the fare went up to £250 one way. Since I was on an all-inclusive rate, I got hit with the increase, with nothing from the client - it's not their problem if the prices change.

Laundry isn't going to be paid by the client. Get a grip, or get your mum to wash it for you.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I presume you have looked very carefully into the implications of spending a lot of time working out of the country? Might be ok with a 6 monther but if they extend you it will be very easy to end up falling foul of tax laws in other countries.
    WHS

Just a warning even a 6 month stint in some countries is too long from a personal tax point of view.

It's up to you not the tax adviser to confirm whether the way you are working is the best way as some "advisers" have promoted schemes which have got people in trouble with different tax authorities in Europe.

Search on here about a particular country, and only after searching ask if you can work as the thread suggested in that country.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I presume you have looked very carefully into the implications of spending a lot of time working out of the country? Might be ok with a 6 monther but if they extend you it will be very easy to end up falling foul of tax laws in other countries.

Leave a comment:

• miniboy
    replied
    Thanks Cojak

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Search for Brookson using http://forums.contractoruk.com/welco...uk-forums.html

Leave a comment:

• miniboy
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    For a £95k salary, I would have concentrated on my ability to punctuate properly as opposed to your ability to 'be a success'.
    Thanks for the info guys.

MarillionFan, If that's all you have to offer I can see why you have the time on your hands to make 24000+ posts!

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    The oft quoted rule of thumb for rate is annual salary / 1000 = hourly rate.

So taking 110k as your perm salary, if you're going to be working an 8 hour day, you should be thinking around the £880 mark, but I'd suggest that there's some room for a fair bit flexibility either way.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    For a £95k salary, I would have concentrated on my ability to punctuate properly as opposed to your ability to 'be a success'.
    Don't be so bitter.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied

All advice welcome.

Many thanks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X