• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Being bullied by my agent?"

Collapse

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    All of my contracts of employment (in my past permie days) always stated number of hours per week, e.g. 37.5, along with the usual "you may be expected to work extra hours for free from time to time" BS.

What is a day? 37.5 / 5? Not that i really care, just saying like...
    In your example a working day is 7.5 hours including your lunch break.

Sorry. What I mean is that in permanent employment just showing up at work indicates that you attended, even if you go home immediately after you come in. The employer cannot claim that you had a day off through illness, capriciousness or as leave. You showed up so you were at work that day.
    Last edited by Taita; 13 September 2012, 12:02. Reason: Clarity

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Originally posted by Taita View Post
    Not that it automatically should apply to contracting but permies are legally entitled to claim they have been in for a day even if they leave after 5 minutes because of sickness. As we know, for ease of administration, clients often apply the same general rules across the board even if they cost more in contractor fees.
    All of my contracts of employment (in my past permie days) always stated number of hours per week, e.g. 37.5, along with the usual "you may be expected to work extra hours for free from time to time" BS.

What is a day? 37.5 / 5? Not that i really care, just saying like...

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    I have often found this is the case. They are not all bad clients. These are the sort of situations where it's worth positively encouraging the give and take.
    Not that it automatically should apply to contracting but permies are legally entitled to claim they have been in for a day even if they leave after 5 minutes because of sickness. As we know, for ease of administration, clients often apply the same general rules across the board even if they cost more in contractor fees.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if it was entirely deliberate on their part. Get you in the role, then try and hide the actual hours under the "it was small error, it'll look bad if you don't" argument.
    Good point. Wouldnt put it past an agent to do that.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Working 8 hours instead of 7.5 hours per day means that the project gets completed 6.25% quicker.

Which means you'll be on the bench quicker.

93.75% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
    With respect, that is wrong. It's 89.71 %

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Working 8 hours instead of 7.5 hours per day means that the project gets completed 6.25% quicker.

LOL. Just spent 3 months working on something for client which has now been canned and they've gone back to first way I recommended. First thing I thought - oh well, thats 3 months extra here for me.

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    How does that achieve anything? He's still away from home that extra 30min every day. If you're going to be on site you might as well work.

Leave a comment:

• IR35FanClub
    replied
    Originally posted by Asspain View Post
    I have signed a contract with AgentX wich says that I have to work 7.5 hours in the client. What happens is that the client obligates me to work 8. My current rate is 300 for 7.5, should I claim the difference? I mean for 8 hours it should be 320. They argued that they invoice per day so it doesnt matter how many hours I work... is this right/true? where is the limit? I mean what if I have to work 12 hours a day? or what if I decide to work only 2?
    Stay on site for 8 hours and spend 1/2 hour surfing the net. Answering personal emails, phoning your accountant/bank manager/sex chat line.

And I forgot to add, most of my contracts are day rates anyway, and do about 9 hours on site, but [as my posting history will confirm] that isn't all productive.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    I'm enjoying the fact that people who spend all day posting on here are arguing whether 30mins extra is chargeable.

Send the invoice to the normal place.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    I'm enjoying the fact that people who spend all day posting on here are arguing whether 30mins extra is chargeable.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I walked from a gig when client and agent tried to push it up from 7 to 8. I had a 3 and a half hour commute and took the gig over another for the 7 hours a day.

If it was local and half an hour I might not bother much, depends on how they asked me and any hint of them getting shirty and I would tell them to ram it.

Probably just stay the time and read the paper
    Fair enough. If time is important then its an issue. In your case, the extra hour a day is important I guess.

3.5 hours each way? Surely not?

Not sure if I would have walked though. Probably would have stayed, worked 7 hours and waited for them to make the move and can me. i.e. got as much out of it as I could.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    The difference being that the plumber would probably risk the loss of the entire job by telling you to f**k off and not lose any sleep over it. He certainly wouldn't go on a plumbing forum and ask what he should do with an awkward client who couldn't decide on what he wanted done.

I don't get the impression that the OP is in that position.
    Yes. This is another point of view....

But how far you are willing to bend over and take it is the issue isn't it? Gotta draw the line somewhere...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Asspain View Post
    And of course If they readjust my contract to 8 I want also to readjust my rate.
    Really? You would have not accepted the gig at the same rate if you were told it was 40hrs/week instead of £37.5?

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Some great posts and interesting view points. Personally I can't belive all this fuss for 30 mins. It's just ridiculous but that is my personal view and my working style.
    You sound like the OP's wide boy agent

30 mins a day is £20 a day based on the OP's £300/7.5 hours.

That's £100/ week, £4600 / year (based on 46 weeks obv).

Look after the pennies and all that.

More importantly though, don't let the agent **** you.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was entirely deliberate on their part. Get you in the role, then try and hide the actual hours under the "it was small error, it'll look bad if you don't" argument.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X