• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Being bullied by my agent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being bullied by my agent?

I have signed a contract with AgentX wich says that I have to work 7.5 hours in the client. What happens is that the client obligates me to work 8. My current rate is 300 for 7.5, should I claim the difference? I mean for 8 hours it should be 320. They argued that they invoice per day so it doesnt matter how many hours I work... is this right/true? where is the limit? I mean what if I have to work 12 hours a day? or what if I decide to work only 2?

A day rate is for a day's work and this can vary, part of being a contractor is not working standard days so get used to it. However this doesn't mean that you should let them extract the urine and make you do 10-12 hour days.
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Is it really worth all this fuss for 30 mins?

Normally (or in my case) the contract states 'a professional working day' which sometimes works in my favour for 15-30 mins, and sometimes doesn't depending on the clients routine but either way I wouldn't be worrying about 30 mins I am afraid.

10-12 is taking the piss though and you need to negotiate yourself in to something that suits you, either paid the extra or work 4 days a week or something. There has to be some common sense applied.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Asspain View Post
        I have signed a contract with AgentX wich says that I have to work 7.5 hours in the client. What happens is that the client obligates me to work 8. My current rate is 300 for 7.5, should I claim the difference? I mean for 8 hours it should be 320. They argued that they invoice per day so it doesnt matter how many hours I work... is this right/true? where is the limit? I mean what if I have to work 12 hours a day? or what if I decide to work only 2?
        What does the contract say? I tried using the force but it's weak today.
        Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

The contract says 7.5 hours, and someone(HR director) at the client told me that they have another AgetnX contractors and that they managed to renegotiate from 7.5 to 8. So I am not going to be the one who is not going to be paid for the difference, and this is not a about working 30 min more or not it is about earning 400 quids more a month or not... thats important when you have 10 years of experience and you have a 300 daily rate... I think my claim is really fair.

Comment

The contract says 7.5 hours, and someone(HR director) at the client told me that they have another AgetnX contractors and that they managed to renegotiate from 7.5 to 8. So I am not going to be the one who is not going to be paid for the difference, and this is not a about working 30 min more or not it is about earning 400 quids more a month or not... thats important when you have 10 years of experience and you have a 300 daily rate... I think my claim is really fair.
            The bold bit is the clue. If they managed to renegotiate with the agent, then so should you if you feel that strongly. It's a business issue, handle it like one. You have to be as prepared for success as failure over contractual issues.

You could try explaining to your client that your contract is for 7.5 and ask how they would feel if you arbitrarily decided to provide only 7?

Comment

So the contract says 7.5 hours, and the client have told you they want you to work 8 hours?

Show them the contract perhaps? 7.5 hours is what has been negotiated, 7.5 hours it is (IMO).

Tell the agent that you're willing to negotiate an increaase in rate for that extra 0.5 hours per day (again, IMO)

I know others say "just work it, it's only half an hour". But that half an hour = 2.5 hours per week = 10 hours per month.

My contracts (most of them) state "professional working day" like NLUK.

Turning it around, how would the agent/client feel if you said "I don't want to do 7.5 hours, i'd rather do 7 hours instead for the same money"?
              Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Your claim to what? it's a day rate not an hourly rate ultimately you can try renegotiate with the agent but it may pan out it may not. You may want to re-evaluate being a contractor as there will come a time when you're expected to work that little extra for nothing
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                  Your claim to what? it's a day rate not an hourly rate ultimately you can try renegotiate with the agent but it may pan out it may not. You may want to re-evaluate being a contractor as there will come a time when you're expected to work that little extra for nothing
                  And if this is what you call being bullied by the agent god help you when it really goes t*ts up.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I remember on my last gig I worked a half day once. I put 4 hours on the timesheet instead of 8. I got paid a full day and complained - but was told that even if I was there for 5 minutes I would get paid a full day.

Regular half days followed where I got paid a full day.

Comment

Working...
                    X