• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Runnerrs/Joggers, would the client co mind?"

Collapse

• disarm
    replied
    Like what's been said, screw what the client may think. You're there to do a job. I always take full lunch (and leave the premises). What I do in my spare time is my business.

Leave a comment:

• Frome Golfer
    replied
    Originally posted by SajStars View Post
    Anyone contracting and running during their lunch times, I typically use my lunch time to go running. Just wondering whether the client co would mind.

I tend to ensure that any high-prioity work gets done before hand, and if there is an urgent requirement then I usually omit running, in favour of work. I have always had positive responses (apart from the piss taking).

However working on a short term gig (4 weeks) and wondering whether I should start running, or not. At the last place - I would typically run every lunchtime (4 times a week) and then sometimes in the evening.
    I take 1 1/2 hours every lunch time to visit the gym. It's never crossed my mind whether or not the client minds. I get in slightly earlier and leave slightly earlier to compensate. I also get my work done. If they were to have a problem (which they don't) I'd hand in my cards and head for the hills.

You're a contractor! Stop thinking like a permie.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Do you wear tight fitting lycra?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Robinho View Post
    As long as you actually wash yourself and don't stink afterwards.
    Yeh. Good point. I assume the OP was more concerned about the time he took rather then the state of himself afterwards though.

Yep. If your going to come back to office buzzing then they might have issue.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by adubya View Post
    Seems a legit question to me. Some places have a lunch is for wimps mentality and eyebrows might get raised if someone actually dare take a break to go running

Basically if you've sussed the place/client out and they seem relaxed about actually spending lunchtime away from your desk then go for it.
    One again, dont rock the boat unnecessarily if you're a contractor, but not having lunch because the permies are that dull? Bit too far methinks.

Wear a tie to fit in - no hassle.
    Come in a bit earlier than normal for meeting - no hassle
    Work a bit longer cos somethings got wrong - no hassle
    Delay lunch because somethings gone wrong - no big deal
    Go without lunch to look like an arse licking permie - no way

To be fair, if I worked at client who, assuming work was up to scratch, gave me grief about that then I'm not sure how keen I;d be too keep working there.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by SajStars View Post
    Anyone contracting and running during their lunch times, I typically use my lunch time to go running. Just wondering whether the client co would mind.

I tend to ensure that any high-prioity work gets done before hand, and if there is an urgent requirement then I usually omit running, in favour of work. I have always had positive responses (apart from the piss taking).

However working on a short term gig (4 weeks) and wondering whether I should start running, or not. At the last place - I would typically run every lunchtime (4 times a week) and then sometimes in the evening.
    Is this a wind-up?

Would they mind - FFS? Do you also ask them if they mind you taking a dump during the day?

Now I'm all for being flexible and if the tulip hits the fan delaying my sarnie for a bit but come on dude....

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

I used to run every single lunchtime....by the time I got back to the desk I was knackered so I used to take a little nap.

Client was incensed and ejected me with no notice. I think I'm gonna sue the running shorts off 'em, now where is that KittyCat case law file?

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    And to the OP: Do what I do: run around the office for an hour each day. The ladies love the shorts and the hairy legs.

And the boys are back in the barracks.

qh

Leave a comment:

• aceboy
    replied
    I goto the Gym mid mornign to aviod the rush, then I eat lunch at my desk and work... boss was happy with that

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    If you can't work out what is right and wrong for you and your client you need to pack contracting in and go back perm.. or go on the dole. The fact you are willing to embarrass yourself with this type of question is bad enough.

You are a business supplying a service to a client, if you are incapable of knowing how to do it move aside and let someone else do it.

Jeez.... Are you going to be asking if it is acceptable to use 4 sheets instead of 3 of the clients toilet paper to wipe your arse next.
    This is spot on as usual!!

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    I ran upstairs once!!!

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    If you can't work out what is right and wrong for you and your client you need to pack contracting in and go back perm.. or go on the dole. The fact you are willing to embarrass yourself with this type of question is bad enough.
    This^

And to the OP: Do what I do: run around the office for an hour each day. The ladies love the shorts and the hairy legs.

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    As long as you actually wash yourself and don't stink afterwards.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    I go jogging at lunchtime albeit not every day. As long as they have a shower then it is OK. If anyone ever said it was a problem I would hand in my notice.

Leave a comment:

• Goatfell
    replied
    Jeez.... Are you going to be asking if it is acceptable to use 4 sheets instead of 3 of the clients toilet paper to wipe your arse next.
    I never use the client's paper, my accountant said that it is a dead give away as an indicator for being inside IR35.

Anyway is supplying your own not deductible.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X