• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Runnerrs/Joggers, would the client co mind?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runnerrs/Joggers, would the client co mind?

Anyone contracting and running during their lunch times, I typically use my lunch time to go running. Just wondering whether the client co would mind.

I tend to ensure that any high-prioity work gets done before hand, and if there is an urgent requirement then I usually omit running, in favour of work. I have always had positive responses (apart from the piss taking).

However working on a short term gig (4 weeks) and wondering whether I should start running, or not. At the last place - I would typically run every lunchtime (4 times a week) and then sometimes in the evening.

Originally posted by SajStars View Post
    Anyone contracting and running during their lunch times, I typically use my lunch time to go running. Just wondering whether the client co would mind.

I tend to ensure that any high-prioity work gets done before hand, and if there is an urgent requirement then I usually omit running, in favour of work. I have always had positive responses (apart from the piss taking).

However working on a short term gig (4 weeks) and wondering whether I should start running, or not. At the last place - I would typically run every lunchtime (4 times a week) and then sometimes in the evening.
    What makes you think that one of your clients would be bothered by what you do in your spare time?
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

...and why is this in the Business/Contracts section?!

Comment

Why would the client worry what you do in your 'lunch hour' (what's that!?)?

I presume you'll have a shower before you return to your office and will be suitably attired.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Seems a legit question to me. Some places have a lunch is for wimps mentality and eyebrows might get raised if someone actually dare take a break to go running

Basically if you've sussed the place/client out and they seem relaxed about actually spending lunchtime away from your desk then go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            Why would the client worry what you do in your 'lunch hour' (what's that!?)?

I presume you'll have a shower before you return to your office and will be suitably attired.
            Of course!
            Thats the thing though, would the company think its a positive or a negative effect. The reason why I am asking, on longer contracts (6mths) I normally would start running on the first/second day. However this is short term (4 weeks), and I would want to lenghten my chance of a renewal.

so the question is, how do i get the client to understand my habbit(!) and still get an extension out of them? I can see the running looking like I am not interested.

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
              Seems a legit question to me. Some places have a lunch is for wimps mentality and eyebrows might get raised if someone actually dare take a break to go running

Basically if you've sussed the place/client out and they seem relaxed about actually spending lunchtime away from your desk then go for it.
              Be a good boy and do as your employer says now, y'all

Comment

Of course!
                Thats the thing though, would the company think its a positive or a negative effect. The reason why I am asking, on longer contracts (6mths) I normally would start running on the first/second day. However this is short term (4 weeks), and I would want to lenghten my chance of a renewal.

so the question is, how do i get the client to understand my habbit(!) and still get an extension out of them? I can see the running looking like I am not interested.
                Are you taking the piss?

The client has hired you/your ltd co (whether directly or indirectly) to do work for them, not to look good if/when you enter/leave the building.

Or are you working as a model at some fashion house?

Comment

Of course!

I used to go running in my lunchtime and no one bothered. When working away, I go after work.

Why on earth do you think when you go running would influence the client to extend you or not?
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

If you can't work out what is right and wrong for you and your client you need to pack contracting in and go back perm.. or go on the dole. The fact you are willing to embarrass yourself with this type of question is bad enough.

You are a business supplying a service to a client, if you are incapable of knowing how to do it move aside and let someone else do it.

Jeez.... Are you going to be asking if it is acceptable to use 4 sheets instead of 3 of the clients toilet paper to wipe your arse next.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X