• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contracting newbie - opted in, failed bank security check and terminated"

Collapse

• moggy
    replied
    Originally posted by StewieG View Post
    You are an assuming individual. The fact you read StewieG as StevieG (Liverpool & England Captain) tells me you shouldnt even be posting on this site let along a contractor. I refer you to Family Guy. IF you dont know what that is, google it, I thought my avatar was a dead give away, but clearly I assumed you were brighter then your post lets on.

Fyi- MY location has no bearing to my honesty. Learn something from my schooling of you.

I bid you good day sir.
    I thought more yosser hughes to be fair

Leave a comment:

• StewieG
    replied
    Originally posted by geoffreywhereveryoumaybe
    StewieG comes across liike a policitician who has been caught fiddling his expenses and then tries to squirm out of it.

He lied on his CV (whether he needed to have a degree is irrelevant).

When he gets a security check he naturally supplies the true details as any sensible person would.

But he still lied then and in the past in the belief that a degree would get him a position.

He faked an 'Admin Degree', whatever that is. Some degree subjects are more relevant for some positions but a degree is a degree is a degree and many companies use that qualification as an entry grade for screening candidates.

When I have completed screening forms I supply the assignments I have worked on and the end clients in the same way as I do on my CV.

With a name like StewieG he's probably a scouser so you shouldn't be suprised that lying comes naturally.
    You are an assuming individual. The fact you read StewieG as StevieG (Liverpool & England Captain) tells me you shouldnt even be posting on this site let along a contractor. I refer you to Family Guy. IF you dont know what that is, google it, I thought my avatar was a dead give away, but clearly I assumed you were brighter then your post lets on.

Fyi- MY location has no bearing to my honesty. Learn something from my schooling of you.

I bid you good day sir.

Leave a comment:

• StewieG
    replied
    Originally posted by CodeCobbler View Post
    I've done screening checks and first of all I'm surprised they bothered to check at all, unless it was a bank or SC role but even then. It took me 2 weeks to get my uni to validate my degree, after persistent calling.

I think its tempting to lie when you are starting out, like I used to do but as you gain my experience its not necessary. We ALL lie and I don't think its such a bad thing as long as you keep it in proportion to what role you are going for and it can help smooth things over.

If you do get asked about your degree after more than a couple yrs experience then yr interview is an assclown and you don't want the job anyways, well thats how I see it.

So to summarize, lying actually isnt usually worth the effort, unless your a naturally good liar and cant help it (I'm cynical).
    Appreciate the honesty in this post ( no pun intended) and the non flaming.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    But please remember the rules of the Professional forums.

No flaming apart from telling the OP that it's a stupid thing to do...

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    So nobody on this thread has ever LIED on their CV or to get a job?

( even white lies are lies )
    No. If any lie is going to bite you on the bum, that one will...

HTH

Leave a comment:

• CodeCobbler
    replied
    I've done screening checks and first of all I'm surprised they bothered to check at all, unless it was a bank or SC role but even then. It took me 2 weeks to get my uni to validate my degree, after persistent calling.

I think its tempting to lie when you are starting out, like I used to do but as you gain my experience its not necessary. We ALL lie and I don't think its such a bad thing as long as you keep it in proportion to what role you are going for and it can help smooth things over.

If you do get asked about your degree after more than a couple yrs experience then yr interview is an assclown and you don't want the job anyways, well thats how I see it.

So to summarize, lying actually isnt usually worth the effort, unless your a naturally good liar and cant help it (I'm cynical).

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I have never came across a screening form so I can't advise you directly, my only advice would be make sure every thing is consistent, that goes for CV, Interviews and any other checks.

My CV shows a list of clients to be honest as if I was working for them with relativity short dates I was there so they can work out it was contracting

Leave a comment:

• StewieG
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I don't have a degree (I can show you my CV which proves this ) and it hasn't held me back in permie or contracting jobs.
    SimonMAc

As Im a newbie here some advice if I may,

On my CV i should list clients, but on any screening forms, I should only put my Ltd, and last perm employer on there for previous employment? Is that how you did it? OR did you write Ltd, Date to present and then subsequent clients underneath on your CV?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    What degree was it you didn't have, and why don't you have it?
    An Admin Degree. Didnt go to Uni, took the experience route instead, but didnt work out as i planned, so I added the most ( what I thought) basic degree. Little did I know that no matter how posh and becks course it sounds, some screeners do check it.
    I don't have a degree (I can show you my CV which proves this ) and it hasn't held me back in permie or contracting jobs.

Leave a comment:

• StewieG
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    In this case it seems the CV does, but I think its more the fact that you lied rather than where you lied.
    Agreed. Case closed.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I believe nobody has still answered my question. Ive been flamed etc, but nobody has said whether A cv holds more value then an official screening form signed by myself.
    In this case it seems the CV does, but I think its more the fact that you lied rather than where you lied.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I've one degree already and am working on a second one. If you want a degree - get one. No more in this thread or there'll be trouble.

Leave a comment:

• StewieG
    replied
    Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
    You keep trying to make this sound like it was an innocent mistake, it wasn't, it was a willful attempt to mislead an employer to enable you to secure a role that you shouldnt have. I have never lied on my CV and for your information I do not have a degree either, I have never failed to secure a role, and I have always done it honestly and legally.

And we aren't buddies.
    Well done for your acheivements in life thus far. Like I said, experience learned and its behind me.

Who knows, I may be working with you soon as we both dont have degrees

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    Jamjam or whatever you are. I made a mistake and admitted it. Your statement about me stopping at nothing to scam my way into a role is just laughable.

You sound very bitter. Sounds like somebody unqualified got a role you wanted, that you felt you were better qualified for. Ah well such is life hey buddy....

Lets now be adults and move on.
    You keep trying to make this sound like it was an innocent mistake, it wasn't, it was a willful attempt to mislead an employer to enable you to secure a role that you shouldnt have. I have never lied on my CV and for your information I do not have a degree either, I have never failed to secure a role, and I have always done it honestly and legally.

And we aren't buddies.

Leave a comment:

• StewieG
    replied
    Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
    We've already established that the OP is a liar who will stop at nothing to scam his way into a role!
    Jamjam or whatever you are. I made a mistake and admitted it. Your statement about me stopping at nothing to scam my way into a role is just laughable.

You sound very bitter. Sounds like somebody unqualified got a role you wanted, that you felt you were better qualified for. Ah well such is life hey buddy....

Lets now be adults and move on.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X