• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Dress code

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dress code"

Collapse

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Sorry, I was only teasing really. That said, for a contractor the "big consultancies" are a fantastic way to make great cash on interesting projects while increasing your profile etc etc. I've done a lot of work for some of them and apart from one insane bank holiday weekend (That funded my new laptop and a trade conference I attended) I've yet to be roped into anything too silly. I've not worked with any recent graduates, either.

(Usual disclaimer that I'm not a programmer, though)
    Actually most of the consultancies do have some brains attempting to run the show which is probably quite interesting if you can stay away from the politics.

My view is slightly distorted by working with Accenture in the past.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    Perhaps if consultants stopped treating work like a fashion parade and concentrated on the work they wouldn't be so widely disliked?

Saying that, if everyone else is wearing expensive suits then you should be wearing an expensive suit.
    Sorry, I was only teasing really. That said, for a contractor the "big consultancies" are a fantastic way to make great cash on interesting projects while increasing your profile etc etc. I've done a lot of work for some of them and apart from one insane bank holiday weekend (That funded my new laptop and a trade conference I attended) I've yet to be roped into anything too silly. I've not worked with any recent graduates, either.

(Usual disclaimer that I'm not a programmer, though)

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Or good enough?
    Perhaps if consultants stopped treating work like a fashion parade and concentrated on the work they wouldn't be so widely disliked?

Saying that, if everyone else is wearing expensive suits then you should be wearing an expensive suit.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Jeans & t shirt.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    No, I am not a recent graduate willing to do 15 hour days.
    Or good enough?

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by Taita View Post
    Don't work for consultancies often, then?
    No, I am not a recent graduate willing to do 15 hour days.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    Phobias and OCD is what a developer is? Are you actually in the profession or just another pimp lurking?
    Sounds like all the ones I work with. Flannels = lumberjack shirts.

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    So your work stands out, not your clothes.
    Don't work for consultancies often, then?

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by Taita View Post
    How do the £2000 per day consultancies expect you and I to dress when we represent them?
    So your work stands out, not your clothes.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    What if the office is full of women? Do you prefer knee length or something a bit racier?
    When in Rome, dear boy.

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    Such thinking is permie thinking, and indeed when I was one I used to say as well as think that "I was here for my intelligence and skills and not my fashion sense."

However, people that arent programmers (99% of people) are impressed by superficial things such as dress and empathy. As contractors we should raise our game so that we are thought of as higher in the food chain than everyday 9-5 workers. I think its all about wavelength, you need to be on the same wave length as the people in charge. When you realise what these people actually think of those beneath them, you will understand.
    How do the £2000 per day consultancies expect you and I to dress when we represent them?

Leave a comment:

• Quagmire
    replied
    I was under the impression, that one of the thing that sets apart devs that are contractors from permie counterparts was lower level of social phobias and ability to wear something else than flannels.

Leave a comment:

• Purple
    replied
    I like to wear a full on 80's power suit with shoulder pads so huge that I have to turn sideways to get though doors (even double doors). I find that this helps me to be taken seriously whilst also standing out from the crowd.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Please don't come out and say your name is Kellie.
    Getting warmer.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    What if the office is full of women? Do you prefer knee length or something a bit racier?

Please don't come out and say your name is Kellie.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X