• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Major global contractor review underway at ClientCo."

Collapse

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Wobblyheed View Post
    I stopped coming on this board about a year ago because of all the doom and gloom...
    And now you've realised we were right, you've come back. Welcome home, brother.

Leave a comment:

• Wobblyheed
    replied
    I stopped coming on this board about a year ago because of all the doom and gloom (I was under another guise and forgot my password and email was with a company I had left so had to create this new account). I'd better make a note of my current password and email this time.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    No, I'm too old to jerk my knees.

I've just seen two of my contracting mates "dropped" from "safe as houses" roles in Banks in the last 3 days. And looking the the spread of replies on this thread - and the general state of the economy - I think "dark days" could soon be upon us once again. Hope it ain't so, but who knows in this crazy game.
    This happened to me a couple of months back. Major global contractor review based on cost alone, not on service provided. All jobs going to Bob Shawahahagimangalapan.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    What....Because this one company is in the tulip?

Bit of a knee jerk reaction (I hope)
    No, I'm too old to jerk my knees.

I've just seen two of my contracting mates "dropped" from "safe as houses" roles in Banks in the last 3 days. And looking the the spread of replies on this thread - and the general state of the economy - I think "dark days" could soon be upon us once again. Hope it ain't so, but who knows in this crazy game.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
    Oh, the joy. I remember being in this position 10 years ago at Barclays. "They can't get rid of me, I'm responsible for X, Y and Z and no one else knows it..."

31 out of 32 contractors gone in one foul swoop...
    @CP, I hope that is supposed to be encouragement in that you were the 1, not 1 of the 31.

Warchest is healthy for a year and a bit, without cutting back on spending.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisPackit
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Hopefully the fact that I am a team of one supporting and coding for department means I am in a strong position.
    Oh, the joy. I remember being in this position 10 years ago at Barclays. "They can't get rid of me, I'm responsible for X, Y and Z and no one else knows it..."

31 out of 32 contractors gone in one foul swoop...

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied

No, Believe me when I say, we sneeze so does everyone else.

I read recently about some companies in the vicinity getting the sniffles and talking about full blown flu.
    Last edited by Scrag Meister; 29 July 2011, 14:31.

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied

I've been working with some major international companies this year that are reporting heavily increased profitability so far. The key message I'm hearing is that although profitability is on the way up, so is investor/owner pressure to not invest internally but retain the profit for distribution or bottom-line market reports to compensate for lean years.

For example, I've just finished a major bit of work for an international firm. They're clearly more profitable than ever and are in serious need of internal investment to counter three years of neglect but they can't invest the newly increased profits because of pressure to increase the publicly sensitive profit figure. A long-term rational approach would tell them they need to invest as they're so far behind but short-term pressures mean that they need to distribute the profits and let the firm's infrastructure stagnate for another year.

The implications for interims and contractors is quite severe as the firm I worked for announced a contractor cull and recruitment freeze despite the firm being more profitable than any time ever.

It's not as grim as it sounds though, some companies are throwing money at daft bits of work reminiscent of the dot-com boom. The problem is that there are just far too many people hunting too few roles.

Leave a comment:

• Wobblyheed
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    Seems those "Happy Days" of 2009 are about to visit us all again. Thank god I've boosted the warchest.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Major contractor review, ALL contractors firm wide, being assessed on the basis of what would the situation be if they disappeared.
    Seems those "Happy Days" of 2009 are about to visit us all again. Thank god I've boosted the warchest.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

My manger commented that other managers with teams in Bobland were not flagging them as essential, whereas the high paid London staff are.
    Hardly surprising as outsourced workers abroad are normally doing bums on seats jobs i.e. anyone anywhere in the world can do them if they have the minimum skills.

Leave a comment:

• imightbewrong
    replied
    Similar here - all contractors over £x pd being closely reviewed and given limited number of short contract renewals before ejection or flip to perm

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Major contractor review, ALL contractors firm wide, being assessed on the basis of what would the situation be if they disappeared.

All managers are saying essential, not sure how they'll decide.

Hopefully the fact that I am a team of one supporting and coding for department means I am in a strong position.

Well here's hoping.

My manger commented that other managers with teams in Bobland were not flagging them as essential, whereas the high paid London staff are.
    Out of sight, out of mind. Plus the costs saved there allow the people you deal with day to day to survive.

Leave a comment:

• Major global contractor review underway at ClientCo.

All managers are saying essential, not sure how they'll decide.

Well here's hoping.

Working...
X