• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "£100 less is better!?!?!"

Collapse

• rd409
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Exactly. Not only are people less inclined to work as hard or up to the same standard for significantly less pay, but they're also more likely to jump ship when a better opportunity comes along.
    Even if I get more than standard rate, nothing stops me jumping ships if a better role comes along. I work for reputation and not for the rate. My dedication to what I do does not depend what rate I am. I am contractor and client satisfaction matters to me more than the zeroes on the pay check.

The other problem is that the contractor may be near the top of the 'get rid, they're too expensive' list when the cuts come along, despite the contractor thinking they are on a reasonable rate so likely to be safer than others in the team.
    I am always prepared for the axe to fall. End of the story. It is upto the client to decide who tops the list. If I work as said above, the client would not be happy to let me go even if I am one of the most expensive contractors.

I sometimes wonder if the people defending the agents practice of keeping margins to themselves are really agents, or thick. This practice only benefits the agents, which wouldn't be so bad if they were generally a trustworthy bunch who could be taken at face value, not out to fleece everyone for every penny they can get.
    I am not trying to defend the agents here. My experience says, I am not concerned what the agency is charging, although I would be more happy if the agent was transparent with the fee structure. But all that matters to me is the role, client and what I will be getting. The agent can then do whatever s/he wants to do with the client. The market forces tend to correct the agency margins on a longer terms anyway.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    There are cases when the agent takes too big a margin. This means that the client is expecting someone who will do x amount of work but instead get someone who does y and is left wondering why.
    Exactly. Not only are people less inclined to work as hard or up to the same standard for significantly less pay, but they're also more likely to jump ship when a better opportunity comes along.

The other problem is that the contractor may be near the top of the 'get rid, they're too expensive' list when the cuts come along, despite the contractor thinking they are on a reasonable rate so likely to be safer than others in the team.

I sometimes wonder if the people defending the agents practice of keeping margins to themselves are really agents, or thick. This practice only benefits the agents, which wouldn't be so bad if they were generally a trustworthy bunch who could be taken at face value, not out to fleece everyone for every penny they can get.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    But that isn't a lie. It is a business transaction. What the agent gets from the client is his business, not the contractors. What the agent offers the contractor is the agents and contractors business. He has to make a margin obviously so you have to expect there will be a difference.

The only exception here is if the agent whinges that he is only getting £400 from the client and therefore he can't pay you anymore than £325. This has only happened to me once, rest of the time the agents were professional enough to keep client rates to themselves but it does happen I guess.
    That's not strictly true though.

There are cases when the agent takes too big a margin.

This means that the client is expecting someone who will do x amount of work but instead get someone who does y and is left wondering why.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    2. The difference between what the customer is willing to pay and what the agent told the contractor is the most he can get, ie lied to....
    But that isn't a lie. It is a business transaction. What the agent gets from the client is his business, not the contractors. What the agent offers the contractor is the agents and contractors business. He has to make a margin obviously so you have to expect there will be a difference.

The only exception here is if the agent whinges that he is only getting £400 from the client and therefore he can't pay you anymore than £325. This has only happened to me once, rest of the time the agents were professional enough to keep client rates to themselves but it does happen I guess.

Just aside the one time I did get fed the BS line to try and justify rates I found out and wrote a pretty tulipty mail to his manager about his professionalism. Whether it made a difference or not I don't know but it made me feel better, especially when I got a tidy raise with this inside info later.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    They can make more money of a lower rate to you. They still charge the client the same.
    Yes you have to remember the agent has two cream-off points -

1. The percentage

2. The difference between what the customer is willing to pay and what the agent told the contractor is the most he can get, ie lied to....

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
    To be honest they can't really know what rate are you on until you tell them and what you tell them is probably rounded up isn't it? So I don't see why the whining
    Still I wish there was a non-rude way to tell them - I am not intersted in offers below £xxx / per day, all the times that I did I have not heard from the agent back - strange as they can make more money off a higher rate..
    They can make more money of a lower rate to you. They still charge the client the same.

Leave a comment:

• xchaotic
    replied
    To be honest they can't really know what rate are you on until you tell them and what you tell them is probably rounded up isn't it? So I don't see why the whining
    Still I wish there was a non-rude way to tell them - I am not intersted in offers below £xxx / per day, all the times that I did I have not heard from the agent back - strange as they can make more money off a higher rate..

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    To be fair it's not just Indian agencies, I've had English ones pulling the same trick. It's only when you ask why would I leave a contract to earn X less per day do they finally shut up

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Yep this happened to me in my last role. An indian agency called me and said are you looking? I said yes. He said what's your current rate? I said £xxx/day. He goes I have an excellent role which is going for £xxx - £80/day. I was like wtf?

Same for me, was on £420/day here in Leeds, still in contract, wanted me to jump ship for similar role for, I kid you not, £120/day and miles away. This was IdM/LDAP work, not putting PC's on desks....

I think it was TechM, but it was a while back...

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Yep this happened to me in my last role. An indian agency called me and said are you looking? I said yes. He said what's your current rate? I said £xxx/day. He goes I have an excellent role which is going for £xxx - £80/day. I was like wtf?
    He has a script and is doing the needful. What do you expect.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
    Felt the need to share because I was flabergasted by this ....

Got a call from an agent (I believe from his accent that you would call him Bob ) telling me about a contract and asking my details. Told him I am in a contract but would consider moving if it was closer to home or worth more. I live in Berkshire but my current contract is based in Aberdeen, he tells me the role is exciting but based in Manchester and asks me my current rate. I tell him and he says would I do it for £100 less .... WTF!!! I said no I would not move for £100 less and he said I won't get it unless I do. I said why the f... would I want to even consider it as I am already getting the £100 more??

Does anyone ever actually get contracts via these Indian call centre agencies???

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied

Got a call from an agent (I believe from his accent that you would call him Bob ) telling me about a contract and asking my details. Told him I am in a contract but would consider moving if it was closer to home or worth more. I live in Berkshire but my current contract is based in Aberdeen, he tells me the role is exciting but based in Manchester and asks me my current rate. I tell him and he says would I do it for £100 less .... WTF!!! I said no I would not move for £100 less and he said I won't get it unless I do. I said why the f... would I want to even consider it as I am already getting the £100 more??

Does anyone ever actually get contracts via these Indian call centre agencies???

You see cheap Bobs who come over from India on various backdoor visas that the government has kindly given them will do these jobs for cheapest possible price. So the indian call centre agencies assume the same is true of all the IT professionals in this country.

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Well technically he did meet your specified criteria, it was closer to home
    Good point, well presented ....

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied

Well technically he did meet your specified criteria, it was closer to home

Leave a comment:

• ChrisPackit
    replied
    ...but it's better than your current providings.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X