• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: LinkedIn

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "LinkedIn"

Collapse

• SimonMac
    replied
    Is anyone else being constantly asked to confirm their email accounts on Linkedin? I think I have now confirmed it 3 times in two weeks and its popped up again this morning asking me to confirm

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    My take on LinkedIn now really is that it was/is a great idea but has not fulfilled its promise due to circumstances largely beyong the control of the LinkedIn sites owners. They can't really influence the number of Bobs and dodgy agents who have taken it over.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I've recently removed the name of my current client while I was considering another contract, I didn't want anyone threatening my existing contract, particularly since I didn't move in the end.

Leave a comment:

• Hawkeye
    replied
    I managed to get a contract with an old client via linkedin. It was just a random conversation on there that led to me returning to meet with the new Programme Mgr and accepting a role.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Try Xing, especially if going down the DE/CH route for rolls.
    Of course, I mean't 'roles'. If I want rolls I go to Morrisons. I mean Waitrose, not Morrisons.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    I used to quite like Linkedin for keeping in touch with people, but what has really put me off it recently is:

1. Twitter integration
    2. Being able to 'LIKE' connection messages/updates, Facebook style

You also get a bunch of idiots saying "please reply/like if you can see this message, I want to verify I have 'XXX' contacts like Linkedin says I do"

IMO it has now lost all of its professional appeal, and has been hijacked by a bunch of attention seekers.

[edit] Cleaned up language given the forum section. Also, to finish on a more positive note, Linkedin allows you to 'ignore' people who spam your updates page.
    That is a shame, the twitter link is pretty irritating especially if it isn'y business related.

I suppose LinkedIn needs to take a step back and realize the business benefits and stop begaving like a subsidiary of facebook or twitter.

If you ignore the me, me, me crowd it can be redeemable, but for how much longer?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Try Xing, especially if going down the DE/CH route for rolls.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Hmmmm. Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    One thing I dislike about LinkedIn lately, is if anyone posts a vacancy it gets flooded by Bob's mates all offering "a CV with much quickness and plenty cheapness". Pretty soon folks are going to just stop posting opportunities in public due to this.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    I used to quite like Linkedin for keeping in touch with people, but what has really put me off it recently is:

1. Twitter integration
    2. Being able to 'LIKE' connection messages/updates, Facebook style

You also get a bunch of idiots saying "please reply/like if you can see this message, I want to verify I have 'XXX' contacts like Linkedin says I do"

IMO it has now lost all of its professional appeal, and has been hijacked by a bunch of attention seekers.

[edit] Cleaned up language given the forum section. Also, to finish on a more positive note, Linkedin allows you to 'ignore' people who spam your updates page.
    Last edited by CheeseSlice; 27 February 2011, 18:35.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Only if they're on there. I don't have a great deal of success finding people I know on there.
    I haven't had that problem. For every company I have worked for, I have added at least one contact on LinkedIn.

I have been approached by a few companies for some genuine roles, but have been approached for some carp roles. It's swings and roundabouts.

And yes, I have some agents on my list, and I have just recently removed one for spamming.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Also quite handy when you have an interview, you can research the individual interviewing you, find out if you have any mutual contacts and then get them to put a good word in for you, it's how I got my last gig.
    Only if they're on there. I don't have a great deal of success finding people I know on there.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    it's quite useful for researching future clients. and staying in touch with old clients. and it's another window to advertise on. every little helps.
    Also quite handy when you have an interview, you can research the individual interviewing you, find out if you have any mutual contacts and then get them to put a good word in for you, it's how I got my last gig.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    it's quite useful for researching future clients. and staying in touch with old clients. and it's another window to advertise on. every little helps.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    I disagree, I don't think its useless at all. I managed to get a couple of interviews going direct using it. Also when my last contract finished I sent a message to all the agencies and also managed to get a lot of calls back regarding potential roles with an interview arranged.

It's not as good as jobserve but at least an extra option.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X