• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Permie CV's and Contract CV'S"

Collapse

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Clever Hans View Post
    I am working on the basis that not all agents are intelligent enough.
    To be fair that's a perfectly reasonable assumption supported by significant quantities of evidence.

Leave a comment:

• Clever Hans
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    If your contract history shows that you work everywhere - which is easy if the agent is intelligent enough or simply asks - then it makes no difference.
    I am working on the basis that not all agents are intelligent enough.

Leave a comment:

• Clever Hans
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    As frustrating as it is I wouldn't fudge my address's for fear of being found out though, partuclularly if you get a finance role and your address and credibility comes under scrutiny.
    I had thought about that angle, but I couldn't see why it should be an issue, as they are all legitimate correspondence addresses, and (if I needed them) temporary lodging addresses.

But I understand finance/security roles particularly may take a dim view of any perceived misrepresentation.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    To be fair I have been turned down for a contract twice with feedback directly related to distance so god knows how any I never got put forward for with the same reason. One was in Maidstone and the client was worried about me turning up on time and regularly. I was like WTF!! Does he think I am going to drive everday? I will probably be closer and less distractions than nearly all the permies. Ce la vie.
    Probably because the client is a sh*t one and the excuse other contractors/permies have used on leaving is the distance.

Leave a comment:

• xchaotic
    replied
    Until recently I have maintained a CV which grew into 3 pages.
    That said my most recent role had 4 candidates for 2 available positions of which one didn't want to relocate and 2 were me with details stripped off via 2 agencies so it's not like the hiring manager had a lot of reading.
    In contrast, the role I have just applied to is a EU official and currently there are 15000 applications, so I'm thinking of making my CV more concise.
    Do you think it would be suitable to just put a few most relevant lines and a link to linkedin or my personal page for "more details", so it all fits on one page?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by PropertyCrashUK View Post
    What is considered the maximum numbers of pages for a CV nowadays? 3 pages?

How do you cram everything into 3 pages if you have say 15 plus years experience?

When you list the companies you have contracted at how much do you write about each contract? Or do you just list each company and have a page with your skills matrix on it?
    I keep mine to 3 pages with the stuff on page 3 being contact details and brief summary of academic qualifications, that's with 20 years as a contractor plus some perm time before that.

I don't bother showing stuff that's >10 years old, I drop it completely.
    The amount I write about each role shrinks as it goes down the CV. Bullet pointed responsibilities per role.
    I have a short statement at the top where I mention client industries I've worked in and 20+ years in the business, then a bullet point skills list.

I'm not writing prose, I want a potential client to be able to see the stuff I'm supposed to be good at in a glance on page 1, page 2 is just supporting info if they really want to read it.

A contractor CV is a sales document saying what I can do and why I should be contracted. No personal interests, no I'm a good corporate fit stuff.

Leave a comment:

• PropertyCrashUK
    replied
    What is considered the maximum numbers of pages for a CV nowadays? 3 pages?

How do you cram everything into 3 pages if you have say 15 plus years experience?

When you list the companies you have contracted at how much do you write about each contract? Or do you just list each company and have a page with your skills matrix on it?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

If your contract history shows that you work everywhere - which is easy if the agent is intelligent enough or simply asks - then it makes no difference.
    To be fair I have been turned down for a contract twice with feedback directly related to distance so god knows how any I never got put forward for with the same reason. One was in Maidstone and the client was worried about me turning up on time and regularly. I was like WTF!! Does he think I am going to drive everday? I will probably be closer and less distractions than nearly all the permies. Ce la vie.

As frustrating as it is I wouldn't fudge my address's for fear of being found out though, partuclularly if you get a finance role and your address and credibility comes under scrutiny.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Yeah, but any employer/agent who really cares might be canny enough to think "he's hiding his age, he must be old". I do the same as you though.
    Age discrimination laws mean that even if the age is on there often the agent has to remove it before submitting it to the client.

Anyway lots of agents reformat CVs before submitting them to the client.

The better ones tell you what information they want you to add or remove, while others will just remove it or in the worst cases add things without telling you.

One reason to always bring your own copy of your CV to any initial meetings with clients to give them if needed.

For my address I have taken to putting down the addresses of mates who live within the general region the job is advertised in. Just in case they send any letters. I have had a better response since doing that.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    WFBS +2.

Any work history before I started contracting can be given on request.

It keep the CV's short and relevant (because we all have more than one, don't we boys and girls?).
    I did have multiple CVs when I started contracting, but now I'm more comfortable with how my market works (contracts are mainly unadvertised) I just keep a general CV up to date on the job boards. I do however tailor a CV on request from an agent.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    I have to admit, I have never witnessed any age discrimination in process engineering, contractors or staff.

Leave a comment:

• Clever Hans
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    I do not put any of the personal stuff on there. I don't put address either, just telephone number(s) and email address. As an older worker, my CV is written so that you cannot tell my age within 10 or 20 years from the CV too.
    Yeah, but any employer/agent who really cares might be canny enough to think "he's hiding his age, he must be old". I do the same as you though.

For my address I have taken to putting down the addresses of mates who live within the general region the job is advertised in. Just in case they send any letters. I have had a better response since doing that.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    What about German and Swiss CV's where you need to submit your picture, age, blood group, attractiveness of spouse, shoe size and penis length?

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    WFBS +2.

Any work history before I started contracting can be given on request.

It keep the CV's short and relevant (because we all have more than one, don't we boys and girls?).
    FB (nodding and agreeing sagely) says "yes".

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Date of birth and address should be removed particularly if you are going to put your CV on online job boards.

You also need to be aware that certain agencies will shove your CV on one so if you don't want everyone to be able to get info about you that easily then leave it off.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X