• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Can I still invoice if ..."

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Cata1yst View Post
    I would have turned up regardless, you're keeping your part of the deal.
    He's a contractor, he gets paid for working not turning up, no?

Originally posted by kermitt View Post
    I agree it was bad planning on their part but they have said I can recoup the money providing I put in the hours (smells like overtime to me).
    Paid overtime though, if you want it. Seems a good offer, up to you if you want it.

I am not in IT I design control systems for Oil & Gas production systems.
    You don't work with Gensym products by any chance? Or do you mean engineering "control systems"?

Leave a comment:

• kermitt
    replied
    I agree it was bad planning on their part but they have said I can recoup the money providing I put in the hours (smells like overtime to me).

Essentially the office was locked and even if I got in there would not have been anyone here to verify that I had been.

I am not in IT I design control systems for Oil & Gas production systems.

Leave a comment:

• Cata1yst
    replied
    I would have turned up regardless, you're keeping your part of the deal.

Get some form of proof from the reception desk, security etc. Then charge them. They have not provided you with a means to forefill your contract, therefore they default. You have made every reasonable attempt to keep your end of the deal.

Perhaps they should have stipulated a VPN connection for you to use in the event of bad weather? Smell like bad planning to me on behalf of the client for bad weather conditions?

As a business you could have worked for another client in that period. You are not a charity case for bad management planning.

Then again there's a play fair clause which says you should spread the missed time over the month and suck it up. Depends on how much you like the client

Leave a comment:

• theroyale
    replied
    Ask them if you can make up the hours in the coming weeks, then bill them for it.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    Most places require permies to take holiday / unpaid.
    Scrag's correction not withstanding, is this true for permies? If the police are telling people not to travel, then it seems like this would break an employment contract. I can't remember any (employment) contract I had stating this clause.

Any employer I had who pulled that stunt, I'd call in sick the day it was due to start snowing!

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Obviously not if he's asking that question.
    I was presuming that kermitt worked in IT and wondering what sort of job he was doing that he absolutely couldn't do from home or if there was some possibility that he could do other work from home (documentation, project planning, research etc) during the snowtime.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    ******* bill away if they'll sign it off

Surprised if they do. Most places require contractors to take holiday / unpaid.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    ******* bill away if they'll sign it off

Surprised if they do. Most places require permies to take holiday / unpaid.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    Is it not the sort of job where you could work from home then?
    Obviously not if he's asking that question.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by kermitt View Post
    The office is closed?
    Is it not the sort of job where you could work from home then?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    When I was snowed out of work in the UK with the client's agreement I just made up the hours over the month and billed for them at the end of the month. Obviously bit hard if it's the end of the month when it happens.

Leave a comment:

• kermitt
    replied
    Thanks I thought that would be the case just wanted to check first.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Unless you can work from home, or make up the time somehow, I don't see how you can possibly bill them for the work. Write off the revenue and enjoy your time off.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    It would be very unreasonable to charge them for those days.
    You could argue the toss with them given that you have agreed to 5 days per week but it would be more professional to write the days off as a loss

Leave a comment:

• kermitt
    started a topic Can I still invoice if ...

Can I still invoice if ...

The office is closed?

Due to the heavy snowfall I received word today that the office shall remain closed Wed, Thurs & Fri of this week despite the fact that I could actually make it there if need be.

Just wondering cos this has never happened before.

Thanks.

Working...
X