• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brilliant Call From Agent..."

Collapse

• The Agents View
    replied
    Originally posted by northernrampage View Post
    I had an agent leave me a message the other week, quite lengthy.. and in the middle of it he started stuttering "they need, erm, a, erm a lady, like you".

I just laughed. I've met this agent and he's relatively young, in his 30s. The job was for something I don't usually do though.. but he seems fairly genuine.... I think sometimes some of 'em have foot in mouth syndrome themselves.
    It's amazing how a simple distraction in the office, or a tiny loss of concentration leads to a complete load of drivel being left on an answering machine..... I do it all the time.

Although....relatively young? I'd say an agent in their 30's, is probably quite experienced and long in the tooth for this game! (if you're rubbish, you don't last long, and if you're good, it's hardcore in terms of pressure, so most get out - unless like me, you actually love the job, and thrive on the pressure)

Leave a comment:

• northernrampage
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post

An older sounding gentleman, who began his pitch with "Now, I'm so pleased to have got in touch with you - I think I have an ideal role for you, especially seeing as you're a female".
    I had an agent leave me a message the other week, quite lengthy.. and in the middle of it he started stuttering "they need, erm, a, erm a lady, like you".

I just laughed. I've met this agent and he's relatively young, in his 30s. The job was for something I don't usually do though.. but he seems fairly genuine.... I think sometimes some of 'em have foot in mouth syndrome themselves.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    or maybe it was a new agent device. been on the "how to dupe contractors by sounding like an old duffer" course yet da?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I read the spec a few times and considered it briefly - but I couldn't have blagged it and wouldn't like to try!
    But you know your too nice (not that anyone around would agree I bet ) but you probably also know you undersell yourself.

If the job need someone with good attitude, head for work, doesn't take any rubbish then you know you are first in line for that! The rest is just process that anyone can pick up once they are in the driving seat.

I am guessing if this is some senior lady boss she is a bit of a ball cracker and would look for and repect that in who works for her... from what I know of you, you fit the bill perfectly (sorry)
    Go for it, I think you would surprise yourself.. Honestly.....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post

Bless!

Sounds to me like on old-school HR bod who's been thrown into the shark-infested RC waters by redundancy...

I'd keep in touch, you never know what might come of a network opportunity like that (and you might be able to make a small profit on it if you play your cards right!).
    Read this mid morning and even now I am still thinking about it. What a good idea this is. If the guy is old school and a bit lonely a sweet voice asking him he is would make his day, if only he had that well paid dead cert gig needing someone asap in front him when you called

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    TBH you should have gone for it. What did you have to lose? If the client had of wanted to interview you, you may have been able to blag the interview.
    I read the spec a few times and considered it briefly - but I couldn't have blagged it and wouldn't like to try!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Now, I'm so pleased to have got in touch with you - I think I have an ideal role for you, especially seeing as you're a female".
    I would have started my voice recorder up at this point and then started imagining the 1000's from the sexual discrimiation case I was going to bring against him tbh.....

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    It did sound like he had noooo idea. I am nowhere near relevant for the role, but the rate almost tempted me to go for it anyway
    TBH you should have gone for it. What did you have to lose? If the client had of wanted to interview you, you may have been able to blag the interview.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    "any contract resource will be replaced as soon as possible with permanent resource",
    Would have ignored this clause to be honest, cannot count the amount of place's I have been where this was the plan and in all those cases only seen it actually happen once.

Easy for Co's to hire an "external resource" (contractor), increasing the permanent headcount on the other hand....

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Perhaps its his first week in the job!?
    It did sound like he had noooo idea. I am nowhere near relevant for the role, but the rate almost tempted me to go for it anyway

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    He did seem really baffled, and quite sweet.
    Perhaps its his first week in the job!?

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post

Bless!

Sounds to me like on old-school HR bod who's been thrown into the shark-infested RC waters by redundancy...

I'd keep in touch, you never know what might come of a network opportunity like that (and you might be able to make a small profit on it if you play your cards right!).
    He did seem really baffled, and quite sweet.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

Bless!

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    started a topic Brilliant Call From Agent...

Brilliant Call From Agent...

....last night.

An older sounding gentleman, who began his pitch with "Now, I'm so pleased to have got in touch with you - I think I have an ideal role for you, especially seeing as you're a female".

I laughed slightly disbelievingly and asked had he found me a cleaning role?

No, no. He was quick to reassure me that it was a role working alongside a female Prog Director, and he felt there would be a "lovely synergy about it" if I were to be successful in the role.

He attempted to explain the role to me, but clearly had no idea what it actually involved. I began to suspect it was a bit senior for me, and said as much - but he insisted on sending me the spec.

The spec confirmed that the role was not for me, and as it was the client version, it also confirmed that "any contract resource will be replaced as soon as possible with permanent resource", contradicting somewhat with his statement that this "is a really nice long contract. We could be talking two years here".

Why lie? I don't want to be somewhere for two years, I'm not permy!

I replied to his email and confirmed that it wasn't for me. I also advised that he might want to remove the client's notes should he be sending it on to any other contractors.

He has called me again this morning. To ask for advice on how to spec the role.

Seriously.

I asked what cut of the margin I could expect - he seemed oddly baffled by my amusement.

Working...
X