• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do you chase feedback?"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre View Post
    I wasn't really meaning detailed feedback but rather that the agent is on the phone every 5 mins before the interview and even trying to tell you how to behave and what questions you ask. Then you have the interview and sure enough, 5 mins later, he's on the phone again wanting to know how it went..........

Then you never hear from him again......

I just believe a quick 'sorry not this time' call or email wouldn't go a miss
    So far, I've found Provanis will always let me know one way or another which way the interview went. I'm not after feedback, but it might be nice to have some post-interview / post-application contact.

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    I wasn't really meaning detailed feedback but rather that the agent is on the phone every 5 mins before the interview and even trying to tell you how to behave and what questions you ask. Then you have the interview and sure enough, 5 mins later, he's on the phone again wanting to know how it went..........

Then you never hear from him again......

I just believe a quick 'sorry not this time' call or email wouldn't go a miss

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    You see this quite a lot on here, you need to understand the game a bit better. I have been the hiring manager in the past, the reality is I just preferred a particular candidate and would not bother to give a detailed response/justification to an agent. Besides that, all the agent will hear is a name and a yes or no, if it's a no, they forget the name.
    It only takes a couple of contractors to get upset and argue about the decision (which is never likely to change) before the agent starts to trot out the 'not heard', 'internal candidate/contractor on-site got it', 'budget cancelled', really liked you - other person just had a bit more experience in XYZ, blah blah blah, to everyone who chases them.
    You ARE all getting feedback - A call says you got the job, you win, well done. Tumbleweeds says not this time.... Everything else you are wasting your time.
    IF you really want feedback, when you get a job, ask the person who hired you (not first day, get settled in first) for a few pointers. Obviously this is not perfect because they liked you but they will probably have a few ideas. OR find someone who has done some hiring (or another experienced contractor to run some practice sessions).
    Many moons ago, I got a knockback from an interview, feedback was I was a bit too 'full-on' I used to get nervous and a bit loud. I demanded they get me in for another go and I was amazed they agreed - I tuned it down a bit and stayed 6 years...
    Good luck to all looking.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    No, I don't chase feedback for a few reasons
    1. It is almost always a waste of time
    2. If the client is even slightly interested, the agent will chase me
    3. If the agent gives me feedback without any prompting, it is more likely to be true (and they get on my 'OK to deal with' list)
    WSS

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Do you ever chase feedback?

I find it amazing how little feedback I tend to get after interviews. It's vary rare that an agency let's you know why you didn't get a role. Normally I email the agency after a few days. I think that's just a waste of time though as you either get no reply or a pretty non descriptive 'haven't heard anything' or 'budgetary constraints' etc
    No, I don't chase feedback for a few reasons
    1. It is almost always a waste of time
    2. If the client is even slightly interested, the agent will chase me
    3. If the agent gives me feedback without any prompting, it is more likely to be true (and they get on my 'OK to deal with' list)

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    No.

If they give me feedback - great.

Otherwise - onwards and upwards. Can't afford to lose focus/momentum for something you don't often get.

If you do want feedback, get it from other sources...
    WSS

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    If I want smoke blown up my arse, I'll pick somebody other than an agent.

I'm pretty well known in my field, so if I've not been offered the job in the interview it's most likely because they didn't like me rather than not thinking I could do the job. I'm happy with that and there's no changing peoples minds on that score...

Leave a comment:

• HeadOfTesting
    replied
    Never.

I apply to all roles on the presumption that the job does not exist.

I've even had cases where I've got through to the final round for senior permie roles and not got feedback and I've not chased that either.

If there's a positive outcome, the agent will be all over you like a rash.

I don't vary this policy according to how much I want the role.

As an example of stupid feedback, I was once told that I was too technical and that there was a fear that I would find too many bugs. It was during the 2001/2 recession and I was so desperate at the time that I set aside my professional standards and said that I could find as few defects as they wanted - but that didn't help (obviously the feedback wasn't genuine but I just wondered how they might respond to my offer).

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    Always. Am fiercely competitive (which has been my undoing in the past) and I'm always, always wanting feedback.
    Sounds like a recipie for dissapointment that..

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    That said, if you get no response from the agent after a couple of days then its reasonably clear which way the land lies. And who really wants to hear you were a good candidate just that someone else had worked for them before blah, blah, blah?
    WHS.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied

I find it amazing how little feedback I tend to get after interviews. It's vary rare that an agency let's you know why you didn't get a role. Normally I email the agency after a few days. I think that's just a waste of time though as you either get no reply or a pretty non descriptive 'haven't heard anything' or 'budgetary constraints' etc
    TBH it depends how much I want the job. If its one I really want then yes, I'll chase feedback. If its not a job Im that interested in then I dont.

That said, if you get no response from the agent after a couple of days then its reasonably clear which way the land lies. And who really wants to hear you were a good candidate just that someone else had worked for them before blah, blah, blah?

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Always. Am fiercely competitive (which has been my undoing in the past) and I'm always, always wanting feedback.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    No.

If they give me feedback - great.

Otherwise - onwards and upwards. Can't afford to lose focus/momentum for something you don't often get.

If you do want feedback, get it from other sources...
    Last edited by cojak; 1 March 2010, 12:33.

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    started a topic Do you chase feedback?

Do you chase feedback?

Working...
X