• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Contracting Review

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contracting Review"

Collapse

• TheOmegaMan
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    Just got back into Investment Banking after many years...

Day 1: Can you develop this XXX for us in Java? I say, "Sure, I'll just need a PC and some admin. rights, so I can install the Java SDK and Eclipse." I tell them I could use my own laptop, but they say company policy does not allow that. So...

Day 11: PC turns up. No admin. rights.

Day 21: Get admin. rights. Install Java and Eclipse.

So as you can see, it was a busy 4+ weeks! Literally 10 minutes work in the whole period. Still, at just under £600 / day, I ain't complaining.

Nomadd.
    But you don't need admin rights to get Eclipse and Java working. Please leave your security pass at reception on your way out.

Jabber

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    My last UK contract was initially 3 months and I finally left after 4 1/2 years. Loved it, did practically nothing, got 400/day (back in the 90's). Clientco paid out the agency early on so I could go direct. I never had to do any isometric tests etc like the permies or put up with any of that permy-dom stuff.

My nickname from the office girls was 'kitkat' because I was always taking a break.

By the time I left the IT department was 75 people and I was the 4th longest serving member.

Please tell me this all still exists for when I come back next year...

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    I've had a similar experience with several clientcos whereby I was sitting at work, surfing t'internet( it seemed I was only there to justify someone's project and he could easlit have done most of the "work" I was doing. Next client after that I worked from home most of the time (boss didn't believe we needed to be in the office as we were spread all over the south east) and spent the day watching DVDs as there wasn't much for me to do apart from answer the odd call from their clients.
    And all for 500 squids a day!

Those were the days! *sigh*

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    new years resolution - must get into finance

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by SneakySimon View Post
    3. Almost every role have demanded I start immediatly yet I have nearly always sat on my ass for 3 weeks with very little to do due to not being set-up, key people on holiday etc etc
    Just got back into Investment Banking after many years...

Day 1: Can you develop this XXX for us in Java? I say, "Sure, I'll just need a PC and some admin. rights, so I can install the Java SDK and Eclipse." I tell them I could use my own laptop, but they say company policy does not allow that. So...

Day 11: PC turns up. No admin. rights.

Day 21: Get admin. rights. Install Java and Eclipse.

So as you can see, it was a busy 4+ weeks! Literally 10 minutes work in the whole period. Still, at just under £600 / day, I ain't complaining.

Nomadd.

Leave a comment:

• lje
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Are you me?
    yes

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    All true, and it's great. I had one 12 month contract (tho left after 6 I was that bored) that i did absolutley nothing @450 a day. After first month sat in my car watching tv. Third month on pretty much spent 12 to 5 in the pub before heading home.

Not rewarding at all apart from financially.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by lje View Post
    I'm also a contract PM and my ClientCo is very strange... First of all they are interested in my opinions and they also give me the right amount of work (mind you - I let them know if I don't have enough - I don't like being bored at work...) I also was set up with a desk / computer / working email account etc within 30 minutes of starting the contract!

On top of that my contract is directly with the ClientCo and if I submit my invoice on a Friday I am paid the following Tuesday! And ClientCo is only 20 minutes from home.

Long may it all stay that way!
    Are you me?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Yes, I am in banking, though recently made a move into a differnt line of PM where I finally do some real PMing and have some ownership of projects.

Remember one contract was for 9 months, every day I spent 2-3 hours in a meeting room watching films - I couldn't keep up with my lovefilm films! Again, it was insane, they had zero need for me but had to spend the budget and get some sucker to take meeting notes, send out emails etc - all for £500 per day - happy days!!

Funny world contracting!!
    On contracts like that, it seems you can justify being able to do the work just as well from home.

Leave a comment:

• SneakySimon
    replied
    Banker Outed!!

Legal
    Last edited by SneakySimon; 11 January 2010, 22:16. Reason: Legal

Leave a comment:

• lje
    replied
    My ClientCo is Strange...

I'm also a contract PM and my ClientCo is very strange... First of all they are interested in my opinions and they also give me the right amount of work (mind you - I let them know if I don't have enough - I don't like being bored at work...) I also was set up with a desk / computer / working email account etc within 30 minutes of starting the contract!

On top of that my contract is directly with the ClientCo and if I submit my invoice on a Friday I am paid the following Tuesday! And ClientCo is only 20 minutes from home.

Long may it all stay that way!

Leave a comment:

• Svalbaard
    replied
    Hey Simon, I'm also a contractor PM and agree with all of your points.

It's brilliant eh!!!!

My bank balance says stop moaning also :-)

Leave a comment:

• singhr
    replied
    I had a gig once where the sole purpose was to burn the clients budget for that year so he could justify it the following.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    same for me - you're not in banking are you?
    This phenomenon is by no means unique to the banking sector!

(current project has essentially two prorgamme managers!!)
    Is one of them a proof reader and spell checker? He needs sacking

Leave a comment:

• Hex
    replied
    I recently had a catch up with some ex permie buddies of mine who I had not seen for a few years - they were asking about my contracting.

Made me think, that all my contracts have:
    1. Had much less responsibility than any previous permie role which paid a 1/3 of what I am on now

yes

2. As a contractor, very few times have I been asked for my opinion, merely to operate in the way that the company goes about things. Any suggestions were met with gentle smiles

in the main

3. Almost every role have demanded I start immediatly yet I have nearly always sat on my ass for 3 weeks with very little to do due to not being set-up, key people on holiday etc etc

same for me - you're not in banking are you?

4. As a PM, many of the roles I did, I am massively over qualified - and acting more as a project co-ordinator while being paid @£500 per day
    5. Every role, I have seen massive duplication of roles above me (current project has essentially two prorgamme managers!!) so not a tonne of work for me to do.

what's a PM?

Point being, that you wonder often how much companies think about the contractors that they are hiring and the role we will do. Coupled with that, the company I am at currently gives arbitary costs for the permies on project dependednt upon how in demand they are so in fact, in the P&L, I am cheaper than a permie on £30k per year - insane!!

Am I complaining? My bank balance says no!!
    Me neither

Leave a comment:

Working...
X