• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Over two years as a Contractor at one company"

Collapse

• XLMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    So how come MPs can claim for all of their tenure then? Its a 5 year contract when it starts.

Sorry, ranting again...............
    ...cos they're supposed to have two residences -- one in Westminster, one in their constituency, plus they have a special exemption from Parliament for being much more important than normal people....

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    And there's more....

And it gets even more interesting when you're over the twenty-four months at a site, leave and decide to go back.

I think you can claim expenses so long as less than 40% of your time is spent at the client. But how to calculate the 40%? 40% over the past 24 months? 40% of the expected contract duration?

And what happens if you start at below 40% and hit 40% during the contract duration? Does the 'from the moment you know' rule apply here as well?

Drink!

RS

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Denny
    Surely this is wrong. If a termination happens and you have your notice period served then you should be able to claim up to the 2 years as before. The contract period is not fixed term or irreversible. Contracts are only 28 rolling day contracts in reality if a 28 day notice period is part of the terms and conditions.
    A fair point, but since when did that mater to the IR?

As soon as you know you are going to hit the 2 year barrier, even if that is day 1 then you can not claim those expenses.

Leave a comment:

• Denny
    replied
    Originally posted by malandri
    Actually i think that you can not claim from the moment you know that you will be for 2 years in a contract, for example, if you are 1.5 years in a contract and they offer you a 6 month extension and you accept, you can not claim travel expenses from the moment you accepted as you know that you will be 2 years with them
    Surely this is wrong. If a termination happens and you have your notice period served then you should be able to claim up to the 2 years as before. The contract period is not fixed term or irreversible. Contracts are only 28 rolling day contracts in reality if a 28 day notice period is part of the terms and conditions.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Right - make my next extension for 3 months, methinks...

Leave a comment:

• BillHicksRIP
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak
    Is that just travel expenses or travel and accommodation?
    You can't claim anything at all, once you know the 2 year limit will be breached.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    So how come MPs can claim for all of their tenure then? Its a 5 year contract when it starts.
    ..to save you the train fare of going to London, when you go to see your local MP.

Just imagine how inconvenient it would be if you had to go to London each time you wanted to see him.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Is that just travel expenses or travel and accommodation?

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied

Sorry, ranting again...............

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Quite right - a distinction I (and others) always forget!

Leave a comment:

• malandri
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio
    Don't forget if you do get retained, you will have to rethink your travel expenses, since you can't claim them after two years at the same client.
    Actually i think that you can not claim from the moment you know that you will be for 2 years in a contract, for example, if you are 1.5 years in a contract and they offer you a 6 month extension and you accept, you can not claim travel expenses from the moment you accepted as you know that you will be 2 years with them

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    It's common pratice, although it has no basis in reality of course, like most things done in the name of Human Remains - you don't automagically become an employee or anything, although, thanks to misguided prats like Dacas and Muscat, it might be a bit harder to prove that you aren't an employee to Hector and friends. So it's probably time to move on.

Don't forget if you do get retained, you will have to rethink your travel expenses, since you can't claim them after two years at the same client.

Leave a comment:

• jonhoops
    replied
    Yeah, this is quite common. Any longer than 2 years and they can't justify having a contractor. After all, if the role has been around for 2 years they 'should' have hired a permie. They justify contractors by saying it'll just be a 6 month project. However, if you are forced to leave you will prb be allowed back 6 months later to stay for another 2 years.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    This will be policy for this banking institution.

Leave a comment:

• sospangar
    started a topic Over two years as a Contractor at one company

Over two years as a Contractor at one company

I am coming up to two years at a Banking Institution and somebody in HR mentioned that two years is the maximum they can have a person on contract. I have not heard of this as I have had over two year contracts before. Is this a general contracting issue or is just something to do with my banks contracting rules.

Any information would be gratefully received

Working...
X