• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The contract market.."

Collapse

• NickNick
    replied
    I've found that all the telecoms roles are now 4play type ones, ie mobile BBand, Fixed line BBand, Fixed Phone, TV. And convergence of those services.

However, I'm out of that now and into Defence.

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    3G Telecoms still seems to be in demand
    as is defence,
    as is rail,

... or so it seems ... the latter 2 due to government spending

Leave a comment:

• rowanb
    replied
    doesn't sound encouraging.. I think i'll hold off on my travel plans a while longer then..

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by denver2k View Post
    I might also be competing pretty soon. However, Iv been told by people already involved in this dogfight that market is simply screwed (unless you are bloody too good and lucky enough to get through and survive)

I think London may be a bad place to contract in the recession. When the market swings there are too many candidates here who can't move or diversify.

Leave a comment:

• icarus
    replied
    Originally posted by rowanb View Post
    anyone know what the .net/java development market is like at the moment in london ?
    The London .net dev contract market closed in December due to lack of interest. Even if/when it recovers we're going to be clobbered by higher taxes and price inflation. I've never been a doom-merchant before, but I'm heading overseas as soon as I can find a place with better opportunities... Mars is nice at this time of year.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by chris79 View Post

Any suggestions on what to train into? I see a lot of Oracle jobs doing the rounds on good money.
    Barrier to entry on the oracle elements that are currently paying well may well be fairly steep unless you have a head start. The stuff paying well cannot be 'trained into' overnight.

Leave a comment:

• virtualm
    replied
    I too have started to look at the permie roles, had an interview earlier this week for a perm role, looks promising - but it's not what I want.

Sods law, I get offered the role and a meaty contract appears in April....it's such a gamble at the moment....

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    You should go to Germany. Or maybe they dont tolerate doomsters over there.
    Well I´m thinking about it, the situation looks pretty dire in the UK, and take into account the tax clamp down and then looming hyper-inflation, not a pretty sight really.

Leave a comment:

• denver2k
    replied
    anyone know what the .net/java development market is like at the moment in london ?
    I might also be competing pretty soon. However, Iv been told by people already involved in this dogfight that market is simply screwed (unless you are bloody too good and lucky enough to get through and survive)

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    No but I will probably be finding out myself in a few months.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Nearmiss?
    ah if you don't know about it then never mind- its a technique within risk and safety stuff. To be honest I don't know that much about it either

Leave a comment:

• rowanb
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Yup just checked, indeed the market in the UK is dead. Germany looks better. If I were looking I would go to Germany.
    You should go to Germany. Or maybe they dont tolerate doomsters over there.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    Yeah I want in - do you deal with nearmiss - I know someone selling a system and I can PM the installation.
    Nearmiss?

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Reliability & safety - want in?

Took me 10 years to learn and I did not even know I was in training at the time before getting into contracting - requires a combination of skill sets.

I'll leave the fast-food joint on hold if that's OK with you
    Yeah I want in - do you deal with nearmiss - I know someone selling a system and I can PM the installation.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X