• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The contract market..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The contract market..

Dunno about anyone else, but I've noticed the past 2-3 weeks have been virtually dead.. an ever increasing amount of contractors or wannabe contractors, and an ever decreasing pool of available contracts.

I've started doing the unthinkable and applying for perm jobs now too.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Same here...

I was all set to be benched at the end of last week, and so was applying for roles for the previous few weeks, but drew a complete blank on wha little jobs there were. Luckily, Client Co came through with a 3 month extension which saved my bacon.

Fingers crossed it'll improve a bit by the end of May.
    If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you!

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
      Dunno about anyone else, but I've noticed the past 2-3 weeks have been virtually dead.. an ever increasing amount of contractors or wannabe contractors, and an ever decreasing pool of available contracts.

I've started doing the unthinkable and applying for perm jobs now too.
      It's been dead since November/December last year. April will be the decider. If budget aprovals don't come through and projects are not being signed off by then, then I reckon it will be dead for the rest of the year.

I've been permie since January and sadly it looks like I made the right move.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I've had three agents today ringing for an 'update on your situation', without jobs, and they didn't even bother trying for fish for contacts. Must be dire...

Comment

I'm not going to be popular... but perhaps the demand for your particular sector is not what it once was.

My sector is looking very positive for the year ahead. 2 offers at the moment and very positive feedback from one client who is looking for an ad-hoc agreement.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

It's been dead for me since the beginning of December. Had one offer, which I've turned down, but nowt since. Am resorted to doing casual work at the moment.
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              I'm not going to be popular...
              Spot on.

Some sectors are doing well, but some aren't.
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I'm not going to be popular... but perhaps the demand for your particular sector is not what it once was.

My sector is looking very positive for the year ahead. 2 offers at the moment and very positive feedback from one client who is looking for an ad-hoc agreement.
                I get your point but I suspect you are looking at it from the wrong end. From the number of people finding it hard to find work, and the number of agents that just don't seem to have any roles available, your sector sounds like one of a vanishingly small number that is not on its knees.

Comment

Lets just say that the project market isn't very good right now. I'm in two minds what to do here, I did have a technical background many moons ago and could probably re-train back into technical, but it's not where I want to be..

Given the outlook for the future, projects being put on hold/scrapped, and fewer jobs, more people (inc. redundant permies) applying now it seems perhaps my area is too saturated to make it worthwhile? Already said this but spoke to an agent earlier this week who said in 14yrs in the job they had the MOST applications for a single role (project) they had ever had.

Any suggestions on what to train into? I see a lot of Oracle jobs doing the rounds on good money.
                  The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

My sector is looking very positive for the year ahead.
                    What sector is that ??

Only sector which im aware of, having a boom in current times is Fast food chain .....

ohh and Pawn brokers

Comment

Working...
                    X