• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Finding a web designer on rentacoder"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    Well one of these 2 feckers is telling porkies

http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder...uthorId=213452

http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder...thorId=1227791

They both say they have the "Schlaer-Mellor Design patter", must be good in sales meetings.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I think I found Bob's page...

http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder...uthorId=277034

"Fast,
    Efficient,
    Low cost

Try us, we've never let anyone down!"

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    You also referred to "redesign/branding work" and "a proven... career in design."

My mistake for thinking this implied that there was a design-related aspect to your requirements
    "Had someone fitted up for about a weeks worth of re design/branding work"

You have to read the whole sentence.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I never asked for a graphic designer, the first post and brief was for a "decent Web Designer/Developer" who could work with "JSPs on Tomcat".
    You also referred to "redesign/branding work" and "a proven... career in design."

My mistake for thinking this implied that there was a design-related aspect to your requirements

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    You've never met any graphic designers, have you?

Think of asking your mother/aunty/grandma/uncle to do that. That's the level of technical ability the average designer has once they're out of Photoshop. They won't know what a properties file is or how to change it. They won't really understand what a database is, come to that.

As I said, most of them don't even understand HTML in any meaningful sense.
    I never asked for a graphic designer, the first post and brief was for a "decent Web Designer/Developer" who could work with "JSPs on Tomcat".

I don't know how you turned that into a System administrator then a graphic designer.

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    There would be some branding, icon design etc but I am considering getting a graphic designer in and also a web developer to split the work together. I'll keep that in mind, cheers.
    for branding/graphics work i can vouch for www.logoguru.co.uk - just used them recently, great results for little money, seemed a pretty professional outfit too.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    They would only need to install java, run the tomcat install, drop the build into the deploy directory, change a properties file to point to my local database. That is a 30 minute job for anyone.
    You might have to do that for them!

Leave a comment:

• lightng
    replied

Think of asking your mother/aunty/grandma/uncle to do that. That's the level of technical ability the average designer has once they're out of Photoshop. They won't know what a properties file is or how to change it. They won't really understand what a database is, come to that.

WHS

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    They would only need to install java, run the tomcat install, drop the build into the deploy directory, change a properties file to point to my local database. That is a 30 minute job for anyone.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

The job is basically design changes to the JSPs, CSSs and Images under the build, the pages are laid out but I started to build the application using a very basic design then I grafted in a third party open source application in which has it's own CSS so I want the 2 designs to be merged into something that has a polished look with some branding.

It looks tulip just now but the application is a winner I think.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    A talented graphic designer is extremely unlikely to have the sysadmin skills necessary to set up Tomcat, Struts, etc. They might just have sufficient technical skills to knock out the HTML and CSS, although most don't.

The usual workflow for something like this would be for a graphic designer to produce the visual design in Photoshop, or Fireworks or something. This would then be passed to a front-end developer who knew how to implement that design using HTML and CSS. The front-end dev would probably be able to get the system set up, but would be unlikely to have the necessary design skills. Coders (including me) are generally rubbish at graphic design.

I've worked and otherwise associated with a lot of talented graphic designers who do web design over the years, and I can think of maybe three or four who would have the technical ability to set up a server, or even know how to start working out how to do it. They'd be way out of your price range though.

Leave a comment:

• lightng
    replied
    There would be some branding, icon design etc but I am considering getting a graphic designer in and also a web developer to split the work together. I'll keep that in mind, cheers.
    Getting both a developer and a designer in may be the best way to go. There are great developers and there are great designers but very few who are great at both. Finding a good DEVIGNER with those technical skills may prove tricky.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    assuming that you do not need 'graphic design' skills I think I can recommend someone - please PM me if you are interested.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    if you search for struts or jsp on www.contractorindex.com then it lists some people.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    oDesk could be worth a look as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X