• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The NHS, Banking, Insurance, Law & Criminal Justice Sectors..."

Collapse

• Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post
    I was asked by NHS ClientCo this week to join an interview panel interviewing some contractors.
    I wish you had been on mine......!!

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post
    Well I was asked by NHS ClientCo this week to join an interview panel interviewing some contractors (even though I'm a contractor as well) for an analyst position.

Several applied, some with NHS experience, some without, but it was the chap with no experience of the NHS who got the job. He was simply the best on the day. Good experience as an analyst/developer and came over the best in the interview.
    Perhaps this time 'cos you were there!

I think biggest obstacle is getting TO the interview stage, but it depends on role etc.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    For banking there is a good reason. The users are total morons. You have to be able to tolerate them.

An "outsider" is a risk.
    Very true. They are also very conservative with a small "c", in the sense of not liking change. Anyone likely to rock the boat isn't wanted.

Leave a comment:

• Scotchpie
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
    ... Can in general be forgotten about unless you have experience in those sectors, despite whether or not you have the experience and can easily do the actual roles.
    Well I was asked by NHS ClientCo this week to join an interview panel interviewing some contractors (even though I'm a contractor as well) for an analyst position.

Several applied, some with NHS experience, some without, but it was the chap with no experience of the NHS who got the job. He was simply the best on the day. Good experience as an analyst/developer and came over the best in the interview.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Really only started to notice the "previous NHS experience required" postings shortly after the IT banking sector started to nose dive, coincidence? Think not

Leave a comment:

• Coalman
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    No trust me Banking people are 'special' - I did a so called Banking role before - never again.

Scary Stuff.

Hard Working Bankers.

Best Sector to work in ?

Engineering - they actually understand what you are saying.
    Couldn't agree more. I work with Engineers and Traders - I'll take the Engineers any time.

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    NHS dev managers only want to employ people who have a track record of NHS work
    This is true in my experiences so far.

I went for a panel interview recently at a top London hospital trust. I was in the final 3 from all the candidates that had applied. I was given a brief about the programme and asked to prepare a presentation on what I would do moving forward to get things back on track. The programme was about an OT system introduction that had been installed and encountered problems with Users. I did the presentation and had a Q&A session.

I didn't get the role and I was told they were very impressed with my experience (including health sector) but they were disappointed I didn't research the product (I did!) they had installed. One of the other candidates had "more experience" and was therefore chosen.

I was disappointed and therefore went back and search again for product info in the public domain. Zip. Nada. Nothing. All the public references I could find only refered to the problems that the NHS had experienced and not what the product was. How is someone from outside the sector supposed to overcome this?

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    No bluffing required, the manager was quite pragmatic about the relevance of IB experience and could see I would pick up the intricacies over time. He was more interested in solid infosec experience.
    I wish there were more clients out there like that!!

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    well done - so what role are you doing? did you have to bluff your way in?
    Security Architecture. No bluffing required, the manager was quite pragmatic about the relevance of IB experience and could see I would pick up the intricacies over time. He was more interested in solid infosec experience.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    I jumped from public sector to investment banking with no banking experience...
    well done - so what role are you doing? did you have to bluff your way in?

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    I jumped from public sector to investment banking with no banking experience...

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
    I thought all users were morons - or did I spend to much time in IT Support?
    No trust me Banking people are 'special' - I did a so called Banking role before - never again.

Scary Stuff.

Hard Working Bankers.

Best Sector to work in ?

Engineering - they actually understand what you are saying.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
    I don't think that he meant morons as in "technically illiterate". He meant morons in real life as well.

tim

Leave a comment:

• jim2406
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    OK you talk about your development manager - are you working as a developer or project manager? I think this thread is about project manager roles.
    i am a developer, my manager is technically a 'web team lead' and is highly technical but doesn't have as much time as he'd like due to having to wear a people management / project management hat.

i just wanted to point out that there are both good people and roles in the NHS.

i'm enjoying it a lot more than the financial software house i was at prior :-)

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    For banking there is a good reason. The users are total morons. You have to be able to tolerate them.

An "outsider" is a risk.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X