• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The NHS, Banking, Insurance, Law & Criminal Justice Sectors...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
    If you have a 'straight' job to do per se, for example a role that is not dynamic enough so as to take you outside of your technology field and actually meet people within the industry, deal with stakeholders in the industry space, generate new business from different areas of the organisation, and then deliver those projects then you won't quite know what I'm talking about.

Now, let's see if you can start a sentence without using the word, 'rubbish'.
    straight job? is this management speak?! well i certainly didn't have to generate new business

anyway, both those roles I was talking about included lots of time spent speaking to business users and stake holders

I wouldn't want you as a PM as you talk nonsense all the time (sorry that was rubbish as well, i'm generalising..... )

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      For banking there is a good reason. The users are total morons. You have to be able to tolerate them.

An "outsider" is a risk.
      I thought all users were morons - or did I spend to much time in IT Support?
      Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
        OK you talk about your development manager - are you working as a developer or project manager? I think this thread is about project manager roles.
        i am a developer, my manager is technically a 'web team lead' and is highly technical but doesn't have as much time as he'd like due to having to wear a people management / project management hat.

i just wanted to point out that there are both good people and roles in the NHS.

i'm enjoying it a lot more than the financial software house i was at prior :-)

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
          I don't think that he meant morons as in "technically illiterate". He meant morons in real life as well.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
            No trust me Banking people are 'special' - I did a so called Banking role before - never again.

Scary Stuff.

Hard Working Bankers.

Best Sector to work in ?

Engineering - they actually understand what you are saying.

Comment

I jumped from public sector to investment banking with no banking experience...
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                I jumped from public sector to investment banking with no banking experience...
                well done - so what role are you doing? did you have to bluff your way in?
                This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                  well done - so what role are you doing? did you have to bluff your way in?
                  Security Architecture. No bluffing required, the manager was quite pragmatic about the relevance of IB experience and could see I would pick up the intricacies over time. He was more interested in solid infosec experience.
                  Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                    No bluffing required, the manager was quite pragmatic about the relevance of IB experience and could see I would pick up the intricacies over time. He was more interested in solid infosec experience.
                    I wish there were more clients out there like that!!

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
                      NHS dev managers only want to employ people who have a track record of NHS work
                      This is true in my experiences so far.

I went for a panel interview recently at a top London hospital trust. I was in the final 3 from all the candidates that had applied. I was given a brief about the programme and asked to prepare a presentation on what I would do moving forward to get things back on track. The programme was about an OT system introduction that had been installed and encountered problems with Users. I did the presentation and had a Q&A session.

I didn't get the role and I was told they were very impressed with my experience (including health sector) but they were disappointed I didn't research the product (I did!) they had installed. One of the other candidates had "more experience" and was therefore chosen.

I was disappointed and therefore went back and search again for product info in the public domain. Zip. Nada. Nothing. All the public references I could find only refered to the problems that the NHS had experienced and not what the product was. How is someone from outside the sector supposed to overcome this?

Comment

Working...
                      X