• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract Re-Newal - Sign Or Terminate ?"

Collapse

• Turion
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    You seem to only consider the financials of the situation, rather than the opportunity cost.

His option was to sign up to a crap job, which he admits he absolutely detests being away from the kids, where he knows that he's not going to get any more days off (so a total of 5 days off in 9 months), getting dumped on every day.

Sounds like hell to me - as soon as I stop enjoying a role, I move on. Life is way too short to be doing a job that you hate - if you are enjoying your job then there is no concept of a "work-life balance".
    WHS. One of the main advantages of contracting is having control where you work. In this situation I'd take the risk of indeterminate bench time to find a better role or upskill.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    You seem to only consider the financials of the situation, rather than the opportunity cost.

His option was to sign up to a crap job, which he admits he absolutely detests being away from the kids, where he knows that he's not going to get any more days off (so a total of 5 days off in 9 months), getting dumped on every day.

Sounds like hell to me - as soon as I stop enjoying a role, I move on. Life is way too short to be doing a job that you hate - if you are enjoying your job then there is no concept of a "work-life balance".

Re read my post again.

I said in the current situation, if there were plenty of roles around then yes, look for something else. In the current climate though, now is the time to put up with a little pain for hopefully some gain in the not too distant future.

Like the last downturn in 2001, if you're out for what agents see a long time, its difficult to get back in (although not impossible).

IMO, now isnt the time to jack in an extension.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    What!? His option was to sign up and have money coming in or not sign up and have no money coming in plus, be sat on the bench for god knows how long.

If there was plenty of roles around, yes, he could take the chance and not sign up. But, now isnt that time.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Best of luck - I didn't see the original post, but I think you're crazy to be doing something that sounds a bit (or more) crap, that you don't seem to enjoy, working for someone who sounds a nightmare, and no chance of holiday for three months.

Rather you than me.

What!? His option was to sign up and have money coming in or not sign up and have no money coming in plus, be sat on the bench for god knows how long.

If there was plenty of roles around, yes, he could take the chance and not sign up. But, now isnt that time.

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    Good thing to list the pros and cons. Yes, get these things off your chest by explaining to us the immense hardships you have to endure now that you have the immeasurable burden of a 6 month renewal to face. No harm in that.

Now you can go ahead and sign the renewal which you know you were going to do anyways.
    Spot on. Enjoy your 3 months of misery.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    In relation to the initial posting, I have today agreed a 3 month extension to my contract from 1st Feb.

Feel relieved having made this decision and appreciate the comments people had posted. CUK is brilliant !
    Best of luck - I didn't see the original post, but I think you're crazy to be doing something that sounds a bit (or more) crap, that you don't seem to enjoy, working for someone who sounds a nightmare, and no chance of holiday for three months.

Rather you than me.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    In relation to the initial posting, I have today agreed a 3 month extension to my contract from 1st Feb.

Feel relieved having made this decision and appreciate the comments people had posted. CUK is brilliant !

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Mental not to renew IMO.
    +1

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    However my hesitations are largely personal due to i) having to work away from home for 1-2 nights every week and therefore not seeing the family (2 young kids)
    That would kill it for me. As someone else has said, you wont get that time with your kids back, family comes first. Just depends on how much cash you currently have in the bank really.

Maybe bring up the working from home thing with your boss again and explain this is really an important thing to you - you may be able to agree on 1 day?
    Last edited by Durbs; 31 December 2008, 11:17.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    A contract in the hand

I found my Children were surprisingly resilient. So long as they understand why you work away they are good at adjusting. A contract in this climate is good.

I'm currently happily ignoring all kinds of rubbish just to make sure the pay cheques come in. Probably a bit wimpish but having gone through the 2002-3 slowdown on the bench I prefer cash for my family to pride.

As to working at home. Try dropping in some work you 'did at home' every so often, you find it easier to work there with all your resources to hand and you may even consider a rate reduction for it.

Until you find something else then swallow it, you know it makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Thanks for everyone's comments. Looks like I will be signing on the dotted line again then... If nothing else has helped my reason through pros/cons of signing the extension.

Leave a comment:

• Scotchpie
    replied
    Well for what its worth I think you should extend. I always believe in expecting the worse and as for 2009 that means many weeks/months on the bench, so I've decided to accept every contract I'm offered next year (if any), once this contract finishes in March.

My wife is expecting our first child in February and so I can understand you wanting to spend time with your family but at what cost.. defaulting on mortgage payments because you cannot find work? Having to tighten your belt and refuse the kids some luxuries because you have to look out for every penny spent? Arguments with your wife because of dwindling finances?
    Last edited by Scotchpie; 30 December 2008, 11:02.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Mental not to renew IMO.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Is there any advice/guidance that can be shared to help me assess this maybe from another angle I am seeing currently ?
    Try and renegotiate the contract so that you would be allowed to work from home. If your boss is worried about productivity, assure him that he will be in the loop throughoout the time that you are at home. When he says that you cannot take time off between now and April, what is he going to do when you, your wife or kids are ill between now and April? Get his whip out and give you a thousand lashings? If you compromise to work more hours (e.g. 10 hours instead of 7.5 hours), would he allow you time off that you need? These are some of the things you need to consider and ask. You are entitled to give yourself time off, especially as you are a contractor.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Renew

Leave a comment:

Working...
X