• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Re-Newal - Sign Or Terminate ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Re-Newal - Sign Or Terminate ?

My contract is due for re-newal at the end of Jan and I am being offered a six month extension which I will finalise when I return next week.

The natural option is to accept the re-newal given i) job prospects for 09 (cipd), ii) it is at a blue chip Bank, iii) the contract is likely to last for the duration or best part of iv) I can build up a savings pot to cover whatever happens next year

However my hesitations are largely personal due to i) having to work away from home for 1-2 nights every week and therefore not seeing the family (2 young kids), and absolutely detest ii) I am not allowed to work from home (boss doesnt think this is productive) iii) I have not had a holiday since July, other than 1 week now and the boss has said no more holiday until April due to current project (not very motivational) iv) boss is very lazy/hands off and dumps everything onto me.

My head says renew due to economic climate but heart says jack it in because I feel I am missing out on my family more than I want to.

Is there any advice/guidance that can be shared to help me assess this maybe from another angle I am seeing currently ?

Sounds like you already have the pros and cons clear and you just need to decide over the next 6 months, if you can cope sacrificing your family life for monetary income.

Perhaps you could make the work more attractive by promising yourself and your family that if you take the 6 months work, you will take at least 6 weeks off afterwards with the financial freedom working gives you?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
      My contract is due for re-newal at the end of Jan and I am being offered a six month extension which I will finalise when I return next week.

The natural option is to accept the re-newal given i) job prospects for 09 (cipd), ii) it is at a blue chip Bank, iii) the contract is likely to last for the duration or best part of iv) I can build up a savings pot to cover whatever happens next year

However my hesitations are largely personal due to i) having to work away from home for 1-2 nights every week and therefore not seeing the family (2 young kids), and absolutely detest ii) I am not allowed to work from home (boss doesnt think this is productive) iii) I have not had a holiday since July, other than 1 week now and the boss has said no more holiday until April due to current project (not very motivational) iv) boss is very lazy/hands off and dumps everything onto me.

My head says renew due to economic climate but heart says jack it in because I feel I am missing out on my family more than I want to.

Is there any advice/guidance that can be shared to help me assess this maybe from another angle I am seeing currently ?
      Its still in the UK not an overseas posting.

It'll be easier to walk if it really was that much than it would be to find a new contract. Get my drift.

Yes you've got a family to think of but I'd sleep better knowing that I was earning tulip loads building up a war chest then spending time with them - then again I don't have nor want kids so I can't really appreciate where your coming from I suppose.

Its your choice but I'd take the renewal. Going by the state of the market you'll have plenty of time off with them if this keeps up. I know its easy to say when you are in a contract that you'd rather have more time. When your benched however all you want it a contract!

Comment

If it is important to you to spend more time with the family during the working week then are you sure that the life of a contractor is for you?

I would put up with it and squirrel away plenty of cash to take a long break once it is all over*.

*Says the man that did not take much of a break at all while contracting - although I am making up for it now

Comment

Good thing to list the pros and cons. Yes, get these things off your chest by explaining to us the immense hardships you have to endure now that you have the immeasurable burden of a 6 month renewal to face. No harm in that.

Now you can go ahead and sign the renewal which you know you were going to do anyways.
          Last edited by Turion; 29 December 2008, 23:17.

Comment

I would sign the renewal but keep a look out for someone you could substitute in when it becomes likely you'll walk.

Comment

contract renewal and they are not dropping the rate? take it!
              This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

If you're not prepared to work away from home then contracting aint for you. Harsh but that's the reality of the job.

I had to work away from home for about 4 years when my kids were about 5 and 7. I had to stay away with the job 4 nights a week (travelled home on the 5th). Thankfully, clients were ok with me travelling in on Monday morning so at least no short weekends.

Absolutely gut wrenching and really cut me up when I had to leave on mondays but the kids never went short of anything.

I'd say you'd be made to not renew in the current climate but the final decision is yours.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  Absolutely gut wrenching and really cut me up when I had to leave on mondays but the kids never went short of anything.
                  Depends if you consider it best for kids to have material wealth at the cost of not seeing their father, or to grow up poor but surrounded with love.

That's not meant to sound as critical as it does... I don't know if it is actually a bad thing and lots of families work this way quite well. But it's a big question.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I hear you on this one. I have two wee ones - 3 years and 15 months and hate going away but all my contracts seem to place me away.

In normal circumstances Id have said jack it in and get something else - but as we approach a period of uncertainty Id take it.

If you dont have a large cushion of cash - youd rather not see the kids a few days a week than not have cash which can have much wider implications.....

Comment

Working...
                    X