• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "As bad as 2001-2003?"

Collapse

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Despite the hype the market is looking Pretty good - contract extension for another year - a fair few role contract and some perm if I wanted to go down that route - but I dont.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Liability View Post
    You want to know the funny thing? A role that was up for 88k months ago went down to 65k and I just had a call asking if Id be interested as they cant find good people!??!

What the hell did you think youd get for 60k! tossers! excuse my french
    BOOMED

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by engineer View Post
    Here in germany, I cannot observe any change in rates so far. All offers still stay at the same level. But I also do not see any rising, such as in the past two years. Seems the top has been reached.
    The top was maybe just over a year ago, October 07. Big rate cuts in my area of expertise, down about £10/hr over the last 6 months. I used to get on average 2 or 3 calls a day virtually every day about jobs. I have had 2 calls in the last 3 months

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope View Post
    The thing is this time round, there wasn't the same IT boom as in 98-00, so may be the bust won't be as hard.

Who knows but Ive seen some good activity this week - two roles for a Jan 5th Start and another for an immediate which was a little odd as its now December and not many actual days left to work!.

Heard of 2 large projects being kicked off in the Energy sector in Feb so from my point of you Id have to be one unlucky MOFO if I dont get any of these roles

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    The thing is this time round, there wasn't the same IT boom as in 98-00, so may be the bust won't be as hard.

Leave a comment:

• engineer
    replied
    Here in germany, I cannot observe any change in rates so far. All offers still stay at the same level. But I also do not see any rising, such as in the past two years. Seems the top has been reached.

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    So that is a 21.176471% cut. Could be alot worse - quite a few banks cutting rates by 10%/15%
    You want to know the funny thing? A role that was up for 88k months ago went down to 65k and I just had a call asking if Id be interested as they cant find good people!??!

What the hell did you think youd get for 60k! tossers! excuse my french

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
    Lets be honest, if computers are so great (and mobile phones for that matter) why aren't we all working 3 days a week? The paperless office - remember that novelty idea? How come we are now working harder and longer than *before* we had this technology????
    Computers were fine when we still had secretaries to type up the documentation, bash memos and letters off for us, and organize everything. It all got done properly then. The only sad thing was that many of them were underpaid for what they were worth.

Now it's one thing that we all have to write our own letters and memos nowadays, but why oh why should everyone be trying to be a computer expert?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    2001 -2003 was way worse for me, luckly I managed to get through it but loads of people I know just gave it up, senior guys getting dropped to doing junior roles.

I can still see a few roles on jobserve in my area, I would fancy my chances of getting at least one.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    So that is a 21.176471% cut. Could be alot worse - quite a few banks cutting rates by 10%/15%

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    But what did they start at? If it started at £200k its not so bad......

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    You waited 3 weeks and you call it Hard? Quit your whining!
    Xmas is nearly here, matey!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Just seen 4 jobs for Architects that have had there salaries slashed by 18k!! LOL
    But what did they start at? If it started at £200k its not so bad......

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Just seen 4 jobs for Architects that have had there salaries slashed by 18k!! LOL

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
    *things have changed since then - responding to email is taking up so much of peoples worktime it would now be more efficient
    surfing on CUK

Leave a comment:

Working...
X