• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

As bad as 2001-2003?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As bad as 2001-2003?

I don't think that the market is quite that bad yet. For those of us old enough to remember the last one, what's your take?

Originally posted by DocP View Post
    I don't think that the market is quite that bad yet. For those of us old enough to remember the last one, what's your take?
    Yer kidding arent you? Its already showing signs of 2001. If you havent got a job sorted, be afraid. Be very afraid.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I was around for the 2001 to 2003 IT recession and I have to be honest it does smack of the same scenario, over night (as last time around) all requirements are either on hold, withdrawn or at best at 1st/2nd interview stage with nothing else in the pipeline.

I have teams of staff bored to the bone because we have nothing new to work. When a role does come in 20 odd staff jump on it to source candidates, whereas 6 months ago, a new role would be worked by a couple of staff max due to volume at the time.

On the plus side and as I have stated many times on here recently, clients are talking positive and looking to recruit in the New Year budgets allowing so it may pick up and to be honest this is generally a quiet time into Xmas anyhow so may not be purely recession driven.

Comment

I never had a issue for getting work in 2001-2003 but from what I can tell alot of projects have been put on hold as they wanted to see how things pan out..I know of a fair few that are meant to be going on early next year so I think thing will get better but only marginally.....but I do know alot of roles are getting numerous applicants above and beyond the usual Olu from Nigeria's...so it is now a question of the survival of the fittest. If you are tulip you will not get a interview so make sure the CV tells the right story!

Comment

Been on the market for 3 weeks; only just, this week, got interviews (thankfully all for decent jobs).

That's very unusual for me; in the past I have always been swamped with agents' calls, interview requests, etc.

Times are f-cking hard, I tell ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
            Been on the market for 3 weeks; only just, this week, got interviews (thankfully all for decent jobs).

That's very unusual for me; in the past I have always been swamped with agents' calls, interview requests, etc.

Times are f-cking hard, I tell ya.
            You waited 3 weeks and you call it Hard? Quit your whining!

Comment

I got called twice this week to see if I was available. Both times when I said I wasn't I was asked if I knew anyone else who was.

Doesn't look like total doom and gloom out there.
              Cats are evil.

Comment

Its certainly as bad as 91 - but hard to tell yet if will be an 01 yet. Both were bad - but 01 lasted longer.

My own view is it will be worse. To me the current issues are too much debt and the government is planning to solve that by stopping banks/people from going bankrupt and borrowing more. It doesn't seem right.

Comment

Things are always quiet in the run up to Christmas so I can't say if it's as bad as 2001. If I'm still out of a job in mid-Feb then it'll be as bad but I'm not worrying yet...
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    Things are always quiet in the run up to Christmas so I can't say if it's as bad as 2001. If I'm still out of a job in mid-Feb then it'll be as bad but I'm not worrying yet...
                    This is true. But anaecdotally(sp?) it has been a quiet Sep/Oct. Most company budgets come out in March so we will find out then.

Comment

Working...
                    X