• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Getting to 100k + salary"

Collapse

• cojak
    replied
    Oh Dear,

*dives for cover as threaded and atw take aim at cr@p websites....*

Leave a comment:

• ~Craig~
    replied
    Originally posted by cabrun
    Anyone heard of either of these? Both claim to make you $$$.

http://www.internationalprelaunch.com/drinkACT/
    I'm getting more and more emails from this lot - apparently its just opened in UK - anyone tried it?

http://www.a-b-s.ws/ Academy of Business strategy. I see these guys posted all over the job boards. Anyone have experience with them?

Yep, I wouldnt mind some $$$ on the side or increasing salary either.

I feel posts containing '10 foot' & 'barge pole' might follow this?

Leave a comment:

• cabrun
    replied
    Anyone heard of either of these? Both claim to make you $$$.

http://www.internationalprelaunch.com/drinkACT/
    I'm getting more and more emails from this lot - apparently its just opened in UK - anyone tried it?

http://www.a-b-s.ws/ Academy of Business strategy. I see these guys posted all over the job boards. Anyone have experience with them?

Yep, I wouldnt mind some $$$ on the side or increasing salary either.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    That does show the difference, and also helps to show that thinking out of the box a bit can be a boon.

SWMBO does full livery at 105. It's the local market rate here in this bit of North Somerset. Her thought is that since she has 4 of her own to do the additional effort of 2/3 is not great and provides a useful subsidy.

DIY here is around 30. We'll do it in the summer. It simply gets turned out. What actually happens with a lot of them is that folk will horse share.

Most equestrian persuits are about as cost effective as slipping 20 quid notes in the shredder.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    That's the point - lots of horse-mad girlies do all the work for free (well, in exchange for time on the horse, to be fair, but that's between them and the horse's owner). He doesn't do anything other than own the land and keep uup the insurance. And he'd rather run slightly under market rate and have all the stables full than have to wait between clients.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Friend of mine bought a £500k farmhouse and five acres of land, built half a dozen loose boxes and uses the livery fees - around £300 a week!
    Thats bloody cheap livery. And full livery is hard work.

If it's DIY I'll do them for 60 quid a week. Perhaps he could send me 12?

Leave a comment:

• boredsenseless
    replied
    I'm sure he has already rewarded you with one of those nice paper certficates stating you are a high-earner that they intend to fleece to within an inch of poverty.

Oh sorry someone just told me they are actually called self assessment forms

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Not for me. I'm going to keep fighting and struggling and learning and being the best and failing and failing and eventually succeeding till i am at the top of tree.
    Mr Blair would be proud of you son. NL likes a tax payer with your earning potential.

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied
    Good points Malvolio. I think having a well paid permie job ( and I am sure I can get higher) is a good foundation but can be topped up with outside 'entrepreneur' interests.

I am rubbish at anything DIY like so property development isn't the bandwagon for my skills...but I certainly have some business and investment ideas.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Depends on what skills you have and if your skill is in demand at the time, I've been on 650 a day and down to 280 a day and back up again and now somewhere in between. There's also the zero rate to consider if times are tough but you'd probably get the flick from your consultancy if your skill set becomes worthless for more than a few months.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    You need to start thinking like a business and not like an employee then. For example:

100k * 3.5 = 350k = not really that much on the housing market.
    There's an awful lot in the south west for around £150k - £250k that can be updated into something more valuable. And nobody said you had to pay cash up front - start thinking like a business if you want to get to the real money. Friend of mine bought a £500k farmhouse and five acres of land, built half a dozen loose boxes and uses the livery fees - around £300 a week! - to pay his mortgage and insurance and still makes a profit on top of his real salary.

Secondly, your total permie package right now is roughly equivalent to what the average freelance PM gets, who is probably turning over £100k but working away from home and funding his own expenses - so if that is your goal, you might be running very hard just to stand still. Freelancing is not a comfortable life, these days.

You said it yourself, setting a goal is a good motivator - but make sure it's the right one!

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied
    Good points. I agree that quality of life is most important. After all cash is just a means to and end.

I am focussing on it because I like to have specific goals. 100k seems to be a reasonable stretch goal.

Also yeah I like the stuff that money buys. I have no idea who can actually afford a house nowadays. 100k * 3.5 = 350k = not really that much on the housing market.

But yeah money does buy freedom also. The more you save and invest the less need you have to work..

...but I love working. I find the higher up the tree you climb, which goes hand in hand with money, the more power you have, the more freedom, the more respect, the more fun.

My first job after uni was helpdesk monkey. I was earning peanuts and most of the managers were idiots. It was unutterably crap and I don't want to go back there. I know many people older than me, with families who are still back down there.

Not for me. I'm going to keep fighting and struggling and learning and being the best and failing and failing and eventually succeeding till i am at the top of tree.

So yeah, money is just a benchmark.

Leave a comment:

• Mindomoo
    replied
    Originally posted by DieScum
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Mindomoo - do you have much time between contracts? Do you always get 400-600?

If I had a high percentage chance of billing 90% of the year and getting that kind of rate then your contracting methd seems a great way to get to 100k+.

Boredsenseless - Thanks for the breakdown. Makes a lot of sense.

I am going to push like a mofo to get as high as I can but I looks like I need to generate external sources of income as well.
    No I dont always get that and I do take time off - I have learnt money is not everything.

I will take a lower rate or time off for quality of life.

why the drive to get to 100K by 30. Seems to be that is your only focus. Is it to have a pissing contest with the boys at the club?

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Mindomoo - do you have much time between contracts? Do you always get 400-600?

If I had a high percentage chance of billing 90% of the year and getting that kind of rate then your contracting methd seems a great way to get to 100k+.

Boredsenseless - Thanks for the breakdown. Makes a lot of sense.

I am going to push like a mofo to get as high as I can but I looks like I need to generate external sources of income as well.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Aha 26 on 53000 a year permie consultant... I can see a sob story in the making here.

Have you got a big mortgage ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X