• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ever had a contract fall through after signing ?"

Collapse

• Stolly
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    My second contract was delayed by a fortnight... turned out to be the best thing ever as i got an offer for a weeks work inbetween in a far and exotic place.
    Wife got a free holiday and I got an extra client
    Scunthorpe ?

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Good news that. I once had a contrract fall through at 8.30pm on a Friday evening when I was due a start the following Monday. Luckily it only took a week to get another gig lined up. If it happened this week, it might be a different stry though.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    My second contract was delayed by a fortnight... turned out to be the best thing ever as i got an offer for a weeks work inbetween in a far and exotic place.
    Wife got a free holiday and I got an extra client

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Stolly View Post
    Well, its all sorted. Start tomorrow.
    Glad for you that it was just a paperwork cockup, get the cash in the bank

Leave a comment:

• Stolly
    replied
    Well, its all sorted. Start tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Stolly
    replied
    Well, i've sent my CV out for a role close to home so we'll see what happens there.

In other news the agent just called to say the new PO hasn't made it to his desk yet, but my personel number has. He said he would have been concerned if this had not happened, but since it has things are proceeding.

To be fair to him he's been pretty above board so far, or is an acomplished liar.

Oh hang on, he *is* an agent isn't he ?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Send your CV out tomorrow. Why wait? If all is in order, then you'll get calls, and you'll simply say - not looking. If it isn't then you really don't need to lose a day.

btw - it's happened to once that a contract failed to take off. It was through McGregor Boyle (sp?) to Enron (really!). First the contract start was delayed a week. Then it was cancelled. Enron paid MB the one week notice period, and they paid me. And I started a new contract the day after I was supposed to start the Enron one. I guess, strictly, I lost a days billing, but I didn't care; I enjoyed the unexpected time off.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Yes, its anoying when this happens. Its worse when you're actually told in the interview that you have the job then it falls through.

Has happened to me 3 times, twice with the same client!

Diddly squat you can do except start looking!

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Yes.

Start getting your CV out there.

Leave a comment:

• Stolly
    replied
    Yeah i'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

They said in the email they estimate a Wednesday start so thats fair enough.

If THAT doesn't happen then my CV is going out there.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Never suffered a paperwork hold-up but I've caused plenty of them (usually because agents send the stuff out without considering the possibility that it might need redrafting).

The agent's talking to you and trying to keep you interested, so it's probably a minor thing and the deal is still on. But never say never.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    All contracts have clauses stating that if for any reason the project does not start you're fliped => no notice, no nothing. good bye.

It may just be a paperwork cock up, but could also be more serious and the project will not start for some reason. Try to talk to client pronto as the agent will say anything just to make you hang on. You could also start looking for another gig.
    Some

Mine doesn't have this. Then again I don't ask for a notice period.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    If its a paperwork thing often you start anyway; this sounds more like lack of project approval. Might come through. Start looking.
    WHS

It did happen to me once - I started a week late. If a genuine delay the worst thing you can do is complain now.

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Don't fool around. Get your CV out now and try grab a better role while you're waiting. As it stands you've got nothing and they've p1ssed you around. Agents and clients will say anything to string you along.

Leave a comment:

• Stolly
    replied
    Well my agent has forwarded an email from his contact with the client, they are having to re-raise the PO for some unspecified reason......will take a few days to come though.

So on the face of it things are happening, and it was just a simple paperwork snafu.

As is always the case a potentially more interesting role popped up closer to home today, if i don't get confirmation of a start date tomorrow i'm getting my CV out again.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X