• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "i've never seen this before"

Collapse

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Integrity View Post
    Hope I am not talking a horse to sleep! :-)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highbal...l)#Moscow_Mule

Leave a comment:

• Integrity
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    You sound a lot like an old poster on the board - denny, renowned for posts of extreme length.

What you said can be boiled down to;

Referral programs are good.
    I've got one.
    Whether this is a genuine one or not is open to debate.
    Hope I am not talking a horse to sleep! :-)

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    You are Denny and I claim my 5 posts in desparate need of an executive summary.
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    Why does anyone bother writing as much as Integrity did? It's almost like he has nothing else to do - so I guess he must be on client site....
    You sound a lot like an old poster on the board - denny, renowned for posts of extreme length.

What you said can be boiled down to;

Referral programs are good.
    I've got one.
    Whether this is a genuine one or not is open to debate.

Leave a comment:

• Integrity
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    Why does anyone bother writing as much as Integrity did? It's almost like he has nothing else to do - so I guess he must be on client site....

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Implementing a referral programme in a business is an excellent business practice, and referred to in many marketing courses as an excellent way to generate business.

This is not uncommon at all, and basically only requires one to calculate the long term value of a client. I agree that having some formal system in place to make sure you get paid is essential.

The fact is, marketing costs money, it takes time, and having a process in place where those activities can be performed by others, either individuals or businesses in a position to offer that service makes good sense. Paying for that service based on results is better than paying up front for marketing, knowing that you might not get any results.

If you are selling a monthly subscription, and the average subscriber is a customer for 2 years, then doing a deal with a radio station to get people to subscribe, the business can afford to let the radio station have 100% of the sale of the first month, and for them to pass along the customer details so that the item can be delivered.

Consider what a lot of small IT business do. Rather than spending a lot of money on marketing, they delegate responsibility for sales and marketing to Sales Agents, who undertake their marketing on their behalf. They get their commission based on a percentage of turn over on project by project basis. The Sales Agent will make all the calls using existing contacts, and get the lead so that you can turn up and win the work.

In reducing the initial outlay for the business, the Sales Agent subsequently profits from the arrangement if the projects leads to multiple projects over a longer period of time. If they get 20% commission, your focus is really on the 80% that you get, without massive up front costs.

Does your business have a referral programme in place for its offered services?

Mine does, based on 10% of Net Invoice Value for a maximum period of 12 months from the start of billable work, and where the billable work starts within 12 months of being introduced to the client. Also based on paying the commission when payment has been received from the client, and based on my business being the Tear 1 supplier in the food chain. Personal endorsements and word of mouth are powerful marketing tools.

Saying all this, I would be calling up an individual agent with client details expecting to get £500.00, but would consider if it was a formal referal programme, at corporate level. Of course I wouldn't pass on details where they would be completing against my business.

It is normal for business to pass along the details of clients to other clients where businesses have failed to get their foot in the door, as it gives another company a chance to get in through the door, and to recover some costs of trying and failing.

Leave a comment:

• Integrity
    replied
    Implementing a referral programme in a business is an excellent business practice, and referred to in many marketing courses as an excellent way to generate business.

This is not uncommon at all, and basically only requires one to calculate the long term value of a client. I agree that having some formal system in place to make sure you get paid is essential.

The fact is, marketing costs money, it takes time, and having a process in place where those activities can be performed by others, either individuals or businesses in a position to offer that service makes good sense. Paying for that service based on results is better than paying up front for marketing, knowing that you might not get any results.

If you are selling a monthly subscription, and the average subscriber is a customer for 2 years, then doing a deal with a radio station to get people to subscribe, the business can afford to let the radio station have 100% of the sale of the first month, and for them to pass along the customer details so that the item can be delivered.

Consider what a lot of small IT business do. Rather than spending a lot of money on marketing, they delegate responsibility for sales and marketing to Sales Agents, who undertake their marketing on their behalf. They get their commission based on a percentage of turn over on project by project basis. The Sales Agent will make all the calls using existing contacts, and get the lead so that you can turn up and win the work.

In reducing the initial outlay for the business, the Sales Agent subsequently profits from the arrangement if the projects leads to multiple projects over a longer period of time. If they get 20% commission, your focus is really on the 80% that you get, without massive up front costs.

Does your business have a referral programme in place for its offered services?

Mine does, based on 10% of Net Invoice Value for a maximum period of 12 months from the start of billable work, and where the billable work starts within 12 months of being introduced to the client. Also based on paying the commission when payment has been received from the client, and based on my business being the Tear 1 supplier in the food chain. Personal endorsements and word of mouth are powerful marketing tools.

Saying all this, I would be calling up an individual agent with client details expecting to get £500.00, but would consider if it was a formal referal programme, at corporate level. Of course I wouldn't pass on details where they would be completing against my business.

It is normal for business to pass along the details of clients to other clients where businesses have failed to get their foot in the door, as it gives another company a chance to get in through the door, and to recover some costs of trying and failing.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    There was a time when you got 5% of (up to the first year of) the value of the contract, for certain in demand skills. Pre 2000.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I got one of those today.

Mine was from Computer People, not ############, though

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by jim2406 View Post
    things must be bad! e-mail from agent reads:

Here at ############ we are always looking for new clients to work with. Do you know a company that are looking to recruit IT contractors? Recommend a company to me and should I place a contractor with them I will give you £500.
    Name and shame!

I bet your chances of getting £500 are almost zero even if they place a contractor there...

Leave a comment:

• jim2406
    started a topic i've never seen this before

i've never seen this before

things must be bad! e-mail from agent reads:

Here at ############ we are always looking for new clients to work with. Do you know a company that are looking to recruit IT contractors? Recommend a company to me and should I place a contractor with them I will give you £500.

Working...
X