• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Permie to Contract

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Permie to Contract"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Constructive dismissal
    If you feel that you are being forced out of your job or your employer is acting in such a way that you have no option other than to leave, you may be able to bring a claim of constructive dismissal. Constructive dismissal is where you, as the employee, resign because of an action by your employer which makes you believe that it is impossible for you to carry on working.
    When I was permy I had an employer start to sack me, but I interrupted him to tell him I'd decided to resign.

Does that count?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    If they haven't supplied paperwork :

http://www.compactlaw.co.uk/monster/empq6.html

If they threaten a bad reference remind them of constructive etc dismissal and libel laws. If you have or can get the threat in writing then take them to the cleaners.

Employers like this should pay!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    but you have to have the qualifying period for an unfair dismissal, as otherwise yoiu have no claim for compensation. (and this is not the only reason why this suggestion is not going to work)

tim
    Which is why the dismissal is "wrongful" rather than "unfair".

I never said it was not "constructive"

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Constructive dismissal
    If you feel that you are being forced out of your job or your employer is acting in such a way that you have no option other than to leave, you may be able to bring a claim of constructive dismissal. Constructive dismissal is where you, as the employee, resign because of an action by your employer which makes you believe that it is impossible for you to carry on working.
    but you have to have the qualifying period for an unfair dismissal, as otherwise yoiu have no claim for compensation. (and this is not the only reason why this suggestion is not going to work)

tim

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    If you're ever bored, and a bit short of cash, try raising unfair "constructive" dismissal cases against them.
    Nah, they were all constructive.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere
    If you're ever bored, and a bit short of cash, try raising unfair "constructive" dismissal cases against them.
    Originally posted by SueEllen
    It's actually wrongful dismissal you mean
    Constructive dismissal

Leave a comment:

• bullseye
    replied
    Words from you guys really helped.

ok now latest updates.

I would working not more than a week. My boss also agreed to give the references.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• bullseye
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    Secondly, if they have refused to take you out of probation, what makes you think they will provide you with a glowing reference if you work a months notice anyway?

Tell him he has his week and you will see him in court with a libel case if he gives you a bad reference for observing the terms of your contract.
    True.

Leave a comment:

• bullseye
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Have you a contract to move straight onto?

If so, have you talked dates? If not, what are your plans for getting work?

Thinking about the need to get 3 months money salted away and all of that to keep the wolf from the door……

If looking, post your location and what sort of work you are after – you never know your luck
    Yes, I have discussed dates with an agent now.

Leave a comment:

• bullseye
    replied
    Thanks for all the help guys.

No, Dont have any holiday's accrued.

Will keep you all in loop with the next development

Leave a comment:

• 51st State
    replied
    Haven't you got any holiday accrued that you could take as part of your notice period? If you've been there 6 months you should have a couple of weeks minimum.

Tell your boss you'll work the week - less holidays!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    It's actually wrongful dissmissal you mean. http://www.compactlaw.co.uk/monster/empf15.html

Unfair dimissal only occurs when the person has been employed for a year.
    http://www.compactlaw.co.uk/monster/empf1.html

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Indeed, not formally confirming the end of your probationary period could probably be construed as constructive dismissal given that (let's say) you feel obliged to leave and look elsewhere due to not having job security.

I would have thought that even a whiff of this would make your boss back down immediately.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    ... I was fired from every permie job I ever had ...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X