• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Best Contract Site

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best Contract Site"

Collapse

• Emily
    replied
    [QUOTE=miffy;446802]
    There’s so much information on here and on the other sites that’s right at your feet. It’s all there folks. I'm a relative newbie and just wish the other noobs would help themselves. If you can't do some of your own homework, then contracting really isn't the game to be in. You need to start thinking and behaving independently.
    QUOTE]

Indeed - it's actually quite hard to avoid this kind of info. For example the big Technojobs advert in the top right hand corner of this website!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    Actually all he has to do is post on TPD for a day and he'll have enough posts to look like a old-timer.
    He'll never be accepted by the oldies though.

I've tried and failed - despite over 5000 posts outside of TPD.

Leave a comment:

• miffy
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    How happy I am not to be an IT contractor. I'm in Engineering and I am glad I don't have to share my little pond of work with you lot. I guess you're all just scared of a bit of extra competition. How sad.
    You could try the skillstrain or computeach if you need to retrain.

Theres plenty of work for all of us in each of the different areas of IT (as SueEllen pointed out). People with good quality skills won't go hungry if you're in IT or otherwise. It has nothing to do with competition and it's pretty cool in here I reckon (and I'm a noob). I spent weeks trawling this board before I quit my job, I just needed questions answering (and I found the answer to every single one in here and the PCG guides).

The only thing that is sad is the people that just can't be bothered to read anything other than post the classic one line tell me all I need to know question. We all have jobs to do, (some of us) families to feed and things to learn ourselves and could do without people wanting their backsides wiping.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    How happy I am not to be an IT contractor. I'm in Engineering and I am glad I don't have to share my little pond of work with you lot. I guess you're all just scared of a bit of extra competition. How sad.

People who work in IT have different skills sets.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Scared of what? Someone who lacks the nous to get the absolute basic knowledge is unlikely to pose a threat.

The message is harsh but simple. Contracting is not a soft option in any industry, least of all IT. If they can't cope with a quick reality check, they'll never survive.

BTW, 40% of the PCG are Engineers. You're not that different.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    No matter how long you've been here, some will still think of you as a newbie.

Unless you can remember the good old days, when it was nowt but green fields 'round 'ere, you're a noob. If you need any advice, just ask milan.
    Actually all he has to do is post on TPD for a day and he'll have enough posts to look like a old-timer.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    How happy I am......

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Malacandra View Post
    Wow, only just starting to dip a toe back in the contract market after seven years sucking on the corporate teat, and already I've found a messageboard where they know how to play spank-the-n00b!
    No matter how long you've been here, some will still think of you as a newbie.

Unless you can remember the good old days, when it was nowt but green fields 'round 'ere, you're a noob. If you need any advice, just ask milan.

Leave a comment:

• Malacandra
    replied
    Wow, only just starting to dip a toe back in the contract market after seven years sucking on the corporate teat, and already I've found a messageboard where they know how to play spank-the-n00b!

And to think I only found my way in here because I wanted to find out if anyone had heard about this tax evasion^h^h^h^h^h^h^h avoidance scheme run by some guys whose company name means Google searches for them gets hidden under tons of hits for southern hemisphere rugby. (A shocker of a sentence, but if you ride that sucker, you'll find it makes sense in the end.)

I can tell it's going to be fun here.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Jsecure View Post
    You know what, never mind.

I've researched a bunch of job sites, and I've been watching them for about three months. I've watched what every job pays, and I've learnt the average rate all these jobs are going for. I wouldn't quit a well paid job for something I wasn't sure about.

But you guys, you've been doing this for ages. I figured, I shouldn't assume I know more than people with experience in the field. I just wanted to know if there was anything else I could learn, from you guys.

I don't know why, but forums on the Internet just DO NOT bring out the best in people. Sad but true. Anyway you all have a nice day.
    See, failed at the first hurdle. You want to go contracting, you have to learn to think like a contractor. Any cursory bit of digging around will lead you to Jobserve, and "us guys with loads of experience" can be intolerant of people who want others to do that research for them. Had you asked "is jobserve the best source of new contracts" then you would certainly have got useful answers.

Incidentally you don't know the rates of all the jobs, or even any of them. The published ones are rarely accurate, they will shift around daily until the job is filled and as a newbie you are unlikley to attract top price until you have a bit of contracting history.

So net result, another would-be-ex-permie goes off in a huff becuase he can't cope with the real world and cuts himself off from the kind of advice that can save him thousands of pounds. Ho hum...

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I don't know why, but forums on the Internet just DO NOT bring out the best in people. Sad but true. Anyway you all have a nice day.
    I have a hunch that for some people on here, the opposite is true.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Obvious question, but what site out there do you find the best for locating new contracts? I'm just getting started and I could use all the help I can get... If you know a few, feel free to throw some URLs my way...

Ta
    You are Wilmslow and I claim my £5

Leave a comment:

• Jsecure
    replied
    You know what, never mind.

I've researched a bunch of job sites, and I've been watching them for about three months. I've watched what every job pays, and I've learnt the average rate all these jobs are going for. I wouldn't quit a well paid job for something I wasn't sure about.

But you guys, you've been doing this for ages. I figured, I shouldn't assume I know more than people with experience in the field. I just wanted to know if there was anything else I could learn, from you guys.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Don't get me wrong, it's well known I'm a miserable old SOB. But I did actually answer the question, and collectively we have pointed out that if you want to be a contractor you have to learn to think for yourself. Else the OP will be along soon asking "What's this IR35 thing" and "Who's the best insurer" and "How do I pay myself" and "What about expenses".

Agreed we weren't very polite about how we did it. And that's another lesson all by itself...
    you forgot "how do I go permie?"

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by 51st State View Post
    Sorry KathyWolfe - just re-read the last post and it sounds like I'm having a pop at you - was just pointing out the useful search functionality of this site to the OP
    That's OK....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X