• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contracted Hours vs Expected"

Collapse

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by contractoradvice656 View Post
    He wants verbal feedback, but I'm not going to bother as it will turn in verbal back and forth, he had a dig at me when I gave him my notice.

It's my fault tbh because I should've paid attention to the red flags, but honestly I needed something to tie me over the summer. On my first day when we sat down and spoke of expectations, then out of the blue he said 'I'm not going to lie, we've had 100% turnover with contractors'
    Don't underestimate the fact you were still being paid!

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Plus, you've got something out of the experience now - when you start the next contract, you know to work the gig the way you want to from day 1.

Sod the other contractors dragging each other down - you're your own person.

Leave a comment:

• krytonsheep
    replied
    'I'm not going to lie, we've had 100% turnover with contractors'
    Not good. Had a few friends (permie) work under someone like that for a couple of years, and it nearly destroyed them both physically and mentally. Management thought he was an absolute star though.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    He wants verbal feedback, but I'm not going to bother as it will turn in verbal back and forth, he had a dig at me when I gave him my notice.
    Correct. Tell him personal reasons and time to move on and leave it at that.
    It's my fault tbh because I should've paid attention to the red flags, but honestly I needed something to tie me over the summer. On my first day when we sat down and spoke of expectations, then out of the blue he said 'I'm not going to lie, we've had 100% turnover with contractors'
    Every company has 100% turnover with contractors. Every contract ends. It's the way we work.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 8 August 2023, 10:52.

Leave a comment:

• contractoradvice656
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    I think you have done the right thing.

As for feedback the contractors who started before you should have nipped this in the bud so I have limited sympathy for them.

Leave a comment:

• krytonsheep
    replied
    I'm not sure it's even worth me providing feedback on my last day
    Well done for getting out of there. Was he asking for verbal or written feedback? Based on the description you've given so far, I doubt it would make any difference.

Leave a comment:

• Protagoras
    replied
    I handed in my 2 weeks notice today.
    Congratulations.

He has asked me for feedback but I have declined
    Too late for feedback anyway, although this sounds like something from the permie HR world, not applicable to contractors.

Leave a comment:

• contractoradvice656
    replied
    I handed in my 2 weeks notice today.

BTW I just want to clear up, he is NOT MD, he is Director.

He has asked me for feedback but I have declined, he is approving my timesheets so I need this done, but I'm not sure it's even worth me providing feedback on my last day
    Last edited by contractoradvice656; 7 August 2023, 18:38.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    this one will only be happy if you follow his work pattern.
    Let him be unhappy then. His inability to set reasonable boundaries on his working time has no effect on your ability to set yours.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
    When you say the MD is in charge of your team, how does that work if it's a huge FI? Usually a good few layers of middle management in between before you hit the contractors.
    in every bank I have worked at MDs pretty much only speak to the scum in quarterly briefings and town halls.

Leave a comment:

• krytonsheep
    replied
    Someone mentioned if it's a small company, no, it's a huge FI.
    When you say the MD is in charge of your team, how does that work if it's a huge FI? Usually a good few layers of middle management in between before you hit the contractors.

Leave a comment:

• contractoradvice656
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Go in hard at the start with what you're going to do - contractual hours, I'd go further and make the point that some of the days start earlier and some start later. Do the odd late night, do the odd bit of weekend. Show it's your gig - and get any such restrictions removed from future contracts.
    No late starts with this guy. He works 12 hours a day and expects everyone to put in the same shift, but most of it is spent in meetings and he likes to only check finish drafts ("I shouldn't have to do the work, I'm here to check it and put my name on it").

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    There'll be some snotty comments about part timers. When anyone raises it with you, ask them why they support such a culture?

If you all acted together to make your conditions reasonable rather than acting together to drag each other down, you'd all still have your contracts and you'd feel happier for it.
    Good point....however if others are scared of losing their jobs and conform then you are seen as the non-conformer.

BTW not having a pop at you, appreciate your response, but this one will only be happy if you follow his work pattern.

Another point is he is super nice, jovial, funny and charming to other teams/people in the business, but his own team he's passive agressive (& all mentioned above).

Someone mentioned if it's a small company, no, it's a huge FI.
    Last edited by contractoradvice656; 1 August 2023, 19:14.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Firstly, shame on the contractors already there for not knocking this on the head. Once a client has got away with it once they won't stop.

You need to establish the ground rules for a contract in the first couple of weeks or it will never happen. If the client doesn't like it they need to do the decent thing and get someone else in.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Go in hard at the start with what you're going to do - contractual hours, I'd go further and make the point that some of the days start earlier and some start later. Do the odd late night, do the odd bit of weekend. Show it's your gig - and get any such restrictions removed from future contracts.

You'll get a lot of this in your contracting career - you'll be a horse led to water. But you don't have to drink.

There'll be some snotty comments about part timers. When anyone raises it with you, ask them why they support such a culture?

If you all acted together to make your conditions reasonable rather than acting together to drag each other down, you'd all still have your contracts and you'd feel happier for it.
    Last edited by PerfectStorm; 31 July 2023, 14:03.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X