• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "how long do you typically stay on a contract?"

Collapse

• TheDude
    replied
    Until they notice the post it notes and screen wipes going missing.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

FTFY
    well, quite

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post

Current place, very well known public sector, can't hire people like me because of low salary bands. Some disguised permies been here 5 or 6 years.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    but without a long term perm headcount. sometimes they simply cannot get anyone to take the job perm, and so it can be very long term as a contractor.
    Current place, very well known public sector, can't hire people like me because of low salary bands. Some contractors been here 5 or 6 years.

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    sometimes you are genuinely just bringing something they need for a few days or weeks, to cover a gap in their knowledge, or maybe they just want a fresh set of eyes to look at an issue, or troubleshoot. sometime you are covering a peak in their work which they cannot cope with internally. sometimes its a longer term project that they want doing, but without a long term perm headcount. sometimes they simply cannot get anyone to take the job perm, and so it can be very long term as a contractor.

all are valid.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

And yes it was clearly the client who was stupid.
    Without a doubt

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

I'm guessing 'them' instead of 'him' answers the question. I don't think SE is young enough to be using them/they pronouns for people.
    I do use them/they for people but in this instance the developer was given the pronoun "he" so there was no need.

And yes it was clearly the client who was stupid.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied

I'm guessing 'them' instead of 'him' answers the question. I don't think SE is young enough to be using them/they pronouns for people.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	catty.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	4235752

Meeeow!!!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ensignia View Post

Them being the client or the developer?

Leave a comment:

• ensignia
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

That was a bit stupid of them....
    Them being the client or the developer?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

one guy (who was a developer and had written a lot of the systems) had been there 14 years.
    That was a bit stupid of them....

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post
    I once had a perm job where a couple of contractors had been there around 10-12 years. Yesterday whilst discussing IR35 with a colleague at a new gig, he mentioned someone he had worked with a few years back had been at one client for 15 years. Can anyone beat that?
    Yep last place. They decided all contractors who'd been there more than 2 years were going at the end of their contract.

I'd been there 4.5 years but one guy (who was a developer and had written a lot of the systems) had been there 14 years.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I believe that Gary Lineker is a contractor and he's been with the BBC since around 1995...
    Yeah and that is working out well for him isn't it
    https://www.ftadviser.com/regulation...-9m-ir35-case/

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I believe that Gary Lineker is a contractor and he's been with the BBC since around 1995...

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post
    I once had a perm job where a couple of contractors had been there around 10-12 years. Yesterday whilst discussing IR35 with a colleague at a new gig, he mentioned someone he had worked with a few years back had been at one client for 15 years. Can anyone beat that?
    Admittedly a big chunk was pre-IR35 and I believe he declared himself inside when it did but there was a contractor who did a couple of decades at my last permanent employer.

Kind of made sense as he had no mortgage, lived locally and didn't want any management responsibility.

The same company put contractors on courses for new technology though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X