• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Have you ever been asked your day rate in an interview?"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

I don't think it's that easy for someone of working age to be placed on someone else's policy
    I was told, by more than one American, that they tend to do someone's immediate family. So it includes spouse, and those under about 21 who are still in education.

However some employers offer better healthcare benefits than others even within that.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Didn't they have wives/partners who worked?
    I don't think it's that easy for someone of working age to be placed on someone else's policy

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDude View Post

When I was working in the US my colleagues could not imagine taking the risk to go freelance.

Nothing to do with income - everything to do with walking away from employer provided healthcare.
    Didn't they have wives/partners who worked?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ConsultingTechArchitect View Post

What're the key differences? I assume hourly rates vs day rates, anything else?
    Whole different approach for many reasons. Contracting just doesn't exist over there as it does over here.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied

When I was working in the US my colleagues could not imagine taking the risk to go freelance.

Nothing to do with income - everything to do with walking away from employer provided healthcare.

Leave a comment:

• ConsultingTechArchitect
    replied

In which case they would be very stupid because the people interviewing were American and as I pointed out before the US contract market is very, very different.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

Because it's literally impossible for a permie to find that out any other way...

They were fishing for info because they're not happy and want to wallow in their bitterness over someone else getting paid more than them. I bet at least one of them updated his CV after that conversation.
    In which case they would be very stupid because the people interviewing were American and as I pointed out before the US contract market is very, very different.

Leave a comment:

replied

Rubbish - there are plenty of contractors who love to imply how much they earn and use crass phrases such as 'every day is bonus day'
    I once heard "every day is ka-ching day". That's my favourite. Even I wouldn't say that out loud though.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied

Because it's literally impossible for a permie to find that out any other way...
    Rubbish - there are plenty of contractors who love to imply how much they earn and use crass phrases such as 'every day is bonus day'

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Maybe they asked because they're thinking of moving into contracting and want to know the going rate?

They were fishing for info because they're not happy and want to wallow in their bitterness over someone else getting paid more than them. I bet at least one of them updated his CV after that conversation.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied

They are American - the contractor market is very, very different there.
    Which makes the question even more bizarre.

I have interviewed at many large firms and have only every discussed salary with HR. For contract positions I have only ever discussed rate with agents.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Maybe they asked because they're thinking of moving into contracting and want to know the going rate?
    They are American - the contractor market is very, very different there.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Yeah, great start telling the perms working for you how much you are on. That isn't going to help you one iota.
    To be fair this isn't a big deal at all.

Permies are not that stupid; they know how much contractors make. Any permie that has some experience will receive messages on a daily/weekly basis from agents about contract roles so even the most clueless permies have a rough idea of how much a contract ba/pm/dev makes.

Leave a comment:

replied

Towards the end of the interview they asked my current day and because of adrenaline and my mouth being in overdrive I actually let it slip before gaining my composure.
    Hahahahhahahah. Not much else to add to this one considering you already know you did a bad thing.

The only time you ever tell someone your rate is when you find someone at your client that's wiling to share your full rate (with recruiter margin on top). That way you know if the recruiter is taking the piss, gives you some ammo in the contract renewal negotiations to drive his margin down and your rate up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X