• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Paying for your own DBS Criminal Record Check"

Collapse

• l35kee
    replied
    I didn't have to pay for the DBS check last month. Did have to pay for the SDS though.. ?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by JamesC34 View Post

Careful what you wish for. If everyone read up on everything this forum would serve no purpose.
    Then where would you go to in order to score petty know-it-all points that validate your being?
    Nope. There is still plenty of in depth discussion points and complexity to discuss. It won't disappear just because people start to understand what they do a little better..

My points are perfectly valid, if maybe not put that well. If you understood what you were delivering then many questions such as these would fall in to place. You deliver a body to site, not unreasonable that you make sure they are fit to do so. Flip it around, why would a client have to check that someone you are responsible for doesn't have convictions etc. That's all part of the service we offer.

And understanding IR35 will help in all areas. Maybe not so nowadays but IR35 is about acting like a business with three main pillars. Much of the rest is just noise, particularly now the responsibility is with the client. Still need a decent understanding of what it is and why it exists. Armed with this then many of the 'is this an IR35 issue' situations will be easy to clear up.

Sorry my response upset you but if you can gear yourself up better by understanding what we do then it will help no end in the long run.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    When you set it up, you can tell them "someone else is paying" and so on. My client uses this approach - or I can pay and bill them.
    They don't accept the DBS subscription service for some reason.

If they didn't pay I might ask them, but on the other hand your client doesn't pay your PI insurance but requires you to have it.

Leave a comment:

• JamesC34
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Yes, always. What's wrong with a small business providing bodies to a client to make sure they have DBS check? Is it a bit cheeky for a client to ask for PI/PL insurances as well? You really need to read up on IR35 a lot more and understand what it is you do and what you deliver to clients.
    Careful what you wish for. If everyone read up on everything this forum would serve no purpose.
    Then where would you go to in order to score petty know-it-all points that validate your being?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Anyone else been asked to pay for their own DBS Criminal Record Check?
    Seems a bit of a cheeky if you ask me. If an employer or client wants to do this surely it is up to them?
    Not sure if IR35 status affects the responsibility for DBS check cost? i.e is there more of an onus on an outside IR35 ltd to prove their own status?
    Yes, always. What's wrong with a small business providing bodies to a client to make sure they have DBS check? Is it a bit cheeky for a client to ask for PI/PL insurances as well? You really need to read up on IR35 a lot more and understand what it is you do and what you deliver to clients.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 4 October 2021, 09:28.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Yes I've been asked to pay for it but always then reclaimed it from the client. Only once it wasn't reclaimable, when signing up to a small consultancy and it was requested in a pack of info along with insurances etc.

It's £25 (or was) so hardly going to break the bank.

No, it has very little bearing on IR35 status.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Seems a bit of a cheeky if you ask me. If an employer or client wants to do this surely it is up to them?
    Not sure if IR35 status affects the responsibility for DBS check cost? i.e is there more of an onus on an outside IR35 ltd to prove their own status?
    Yep - that's completely standard (remember agencies will always past any and all costs on to anyone else they can find).

For people who may need to provide a DBS check frequently the DBS have a subscription scheme that costs £13 a year once the initial check is done.

Leave a comment:

• JamesC34
    started a topic Paying for your own DBS Criminal Record Check

Paying for your own DBS Criminal Record Check

Working...
X