• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Job Offer - Looking for some advice"

Collapse

• sira
    replied
    I accepted the permie offer this morning...and then throughout the course of today, landed 4 interviews (with diff companies) all for contract gigs. You can't make this up. Wow. I need a beer....

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by barely_pointless View Post
    I've been to Leeds!!
    I'VE BEEN TO LEEDS - YouTube

But seriously, Leeds city centre is pretty cool, the canal wharf area, just behind the rail station, Amouries and if you have a bike the canal route is a nice ride, depends on where you work though.
    The river boat from the Armouries to the Station is also good fun when it's running.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    All we did was change the name from College to Conservatoire
    Shhhh - it's actual because they are now doing acting courses so Music no longer covers the spectrum of degrees that they offer.

Leave a comment:

• barely_pointless
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I did a gig a few years back based in Seacroft Hospital. I'm guessing you're more that kind of Leeds than Harvey Nicks.

I've been to Leeds!!
    I'VE BEEN TO LEEDS - YouTube

But seriously, Leeds city centre is pretty cool, the canal wharf area, just behind the rail station, Amouries and if you have a bike the canal route is a nice ride, depends on where you work though.
    Last edited by barely_pointless; 2 September 2020, 10:44.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    But on the other hand it also has me, so maybe not so civilised
    I did a gig a few years back based in Seacroft Hospital. I'm guessing you're more that kind of Leeds than Harvey Nicks.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Leeds also now has a Conservatoire so it's no longer a complete cultural wasteland
    All we did was change the name from College to Conservatoire

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Leeds also now has a Conservatoire so it's no longer a complete cultural wasteland

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Leeds is nice. I've been there once It has a Harvey Nichols so it's semi-civilised.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Dirty Leeds!

Remember, no one ever admits they are wrong if they are from t'Yorkshire!

qh

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by sira View Post
    Thanks mate, that's very insightful information - much appreciated. I spoke to the company yesterday and they said that there is no plans to open any UK offices yet and that I can work from any location. They also said that once offices do re-open it will only be 2-3 days a week in the office. I guess it kinda helps soften the blow of a lower salary.

Hard to forecast this pandemic but I reckon we'll all be working from home till at least March/April 2021, as we'll hopefully have some kinda vaccine by then.
    That sounds good - well worth giving it a try anyway.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    at which point we'll be all waiting for a vaccine for covid-20 therefore working from home until April 2022.

Leave a comment:

• sira
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Later than April - it will take 3-6 months for the vaccine to be given to everyone.
    Indeed. I guess some point in 2021, who knows when.

Will be interesting to see if the biggest companies get access the vaccine sooner. Could be a targeted policy which the government may consider.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by sira View Post
    Thanks mate, that's very insightful information - much appreciated. I spoke to the company yesterday and they said that there is no plans to open any UK offices yet and that I can work from any location. They also said that once offices do re-open it will only be 2-3 days a week in the office. I guess it kinda helps soften the blow of a lower salary.

Hard to forecast this pandemic but I reckon we'll all be working from home till at least March/April 2021, as we'll hopefully have some kinda vaccine by then.
    Later than April - it will take 3-6 months for the vaccine to be given to everyone.

Leave a comment:

• sira
    replied
    Originally posted by aaaajin View Post
    I actually live in Leeds, and recently got a job in London during Covid, and WFH at the moment.

It is definitely a good place, cost of living is reasonable. But if you enjoy London, like you mentioned it is really rural outside city centre, you may feel bored quickly. However if you like outdoor, lots of nice places to go. I enjoy my house is just walkable distance to farm and woodlands. I am at late 20s as well and already bought my first property here, even go back to live in London after covid for work, I can still cover my mortgage here, cause it is cheap comparing to the property in London.

If you move here, pick a place close to your work, generally the transport in the north is worse than London. You mentioned Horsforth, the train in peak time may only have few carriages and runs every 15 mins, and bus here is not convenient and frequent like London neither. Driving during peak time is a nightmare as well, the road network is not that good. But since you don't pay any rent and mortgage, and can WFH, i don't see the reason to move up. I did my last contract in London by travelling weekly and staying in hotels, it was cheaper than renting in London and saved me all the hassle of moving. So if in the future you only need to work in office 2/3 days a week, hotels in Leeds are also much cheaper than London.

It is true people in the north are more friendly and chatty comparing to the capital, but job opportunities are much less here comparing to London. I have friends feel stuck at their jobs, because the thing they do is so niche, and they don't want to move down to London. I think like above mentioned, it is definitely a good place to settle down, and for people like quite, stable life.

Last edited by sira; 2 September 2020, 07:00.

Leave a comment:

• aaaajin
    replied
    I actually live in Leeds, and recently got a job in London during Covid, and WFH at the moment.

It is definitely a good place, cost of living is reasonable. But if you enjoy London, like you mentioned it is really rural outside city centre, you may feel bored quickly. However if you like outdoor, lots of nice places to go. I enjoy my house is just walkable distance to farm and woodlands. I am at late 20s as well and already bought my first property here, even go back to live in London after covid for work, I can still cover my mortgage here, cause it is cheap comparing to the property in London.

If you move here, pick a place close to your work, generally the transport in the north is worse than London. You mentioned Horsforth, the train in peak time may only have few carriages and runs every 15 mins, and bus here is not convenient and frequent like London neither. Driving during peak time is a nightmare as well, the road network is not that good. But since you don't pay any rent and mortgage, and can WFH, i don't see the reason to move up. I did my last contract in London by travelling weekly and staying in hotels, it was cheaper than renting in London and saved me all the hassle of moving. So if in the future you only need to work in office 2/3 days a week, hotels in Leeds are also much cheaper than London.

It is true people in the north are more friendly and chatty comparing to the capital, but job opportunities are much less here comparing to London. I have friends feel stuck at their jobs, because the thing they do is so niche, and they don't want to move down to London. I think like above mentioned, it is definitely a good place to settle down, and for people like quite, stable life.
    Last edited by aaaajin; 28 August 2020, 23:15.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X