• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Has anyone considered running multiple contracts during this?"

Collapse

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post
    I don't see what the problem is, especially in current times when who knows when/how things will start to pick up again.

My brother has got about 4 clients on the go at once. He's working very hard and long hours but he can see his future pipeline is drying up, so make hay when the sun shines and all that.
    That's fair. Nothing wrong with working 14 hours a day now if you can afford to comfortably recharge your batteries at a later date.

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    I don't see what the problem is, especially in current times when who knows when/how things will start to pick up again.

My brother has got about 4 clients on the go at once. He's working very hard and long hours but he can see his future pipeline is drying up, so make hay when the sun shines and all that.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    When you get old, you start to remember stuff from long ago but not the recent past. This is obviously a warning to me.
    What were we talking about?

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Most recently, Mantides vs. HMRC (locum GP, inside on one of several engagements). Really will shut up now though
    When you get old, you start to remember stuff from long ago but not the recent past. This is obviously a warning to me.

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
    Are you running a charity or a business?
    Quite.

FFS, it's survival of the fittest and the most business-like.

If you are feeling a conscience, give half to the NHS knowing you/one did a better job than anyone else to make such a donation.

Leave a comment:

• zonkkk
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Am I selfish for hogging two roles when I should be helping out those contractors on the bench?
    Are you running a charity or a business?

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I find that having multiple roles makes life much more interesting (whether in Chinese proverb terms or not, I can't say). As for selfishness - that's between you and your conscience.
    If we believe in and practice Capitalism, it's all about profit.

Who knows when the train, be it gravy-filled or otherwise, will end.

Get to work on whatever is offered.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    As the old adage goes "The Chinese have the same word for crisis and opportunity", I've just knocked back an email from an agent as I am one of the few fortunate to still be engaged during this pandemic, but should I be looking to run multiple gigs at the same time while I can?

I know the flippant answer will be yes, and do I really want the added stress of trying to juggle two diaries for meetings etc? Am I selfish for hogging two roles when I should be helping out those contractors on the bench?
    I find that having multiple roles makes life much more interesting (whether in Chinese proverb terms or not, I can't say). As for selfishness - that's between you and your conscience.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    There will always be some, but I wonder if they are outliers. It depends how much HMRC go for the low hanging fruit.
    Just like with any other debt collection business, it's a case of risk/effort versus reward.
    Someone who has been working for the same bank on the wharf for three years as a contractor and suddenly is declared inside IR35 is firmly going to be within their sights, especially if they're a UK resident and citizen and always have been.
    Last edited by LondonManc; 6 May 2020, 14:46.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Perhaps, but certainly people with multiple clients have ended up in tribunals. I don't know whether anyone with multiple concurrent clients has actually lost.
    There will always be some, but I wonder if they are outliers. It depends how much HMRC go for the low hanging fruit.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    I don't know whether anyone with multiple concurrent clients has actually lost.
    Most recently, Mantides vs. HMRC (locum GP, inside on one of several engagements). Really will shut up now though

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I would also expect (but I don't know) that having multiple clients would decrease your likelihood of being investigated.
    Perhaps, but certainly people with multiple clients have ended up in tribunals. I don't know whether anyone with multiple concurrent clients has actually lost.

JB is right that technically, it's not much of a factor. Practically, it almost always will be a significant factor.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I think there's a little bit of false dichotomy here. In real life, multiple clients almost always brings with it evidence against SDC and against MOO. If you have multiple clients, you can always find things, like Lance's business trip, that are really useful to have in your IR35 dossier to help you demonstrate, if not a lack of, at least limits to, SDC.

If you've got a reasonable case, multiple clients will probably seal it. In an area with so much subjectivity, having something like that in your arsenal is really useful.
    I would also expect (but I don't know) that having multiple clients would decrease your likelihood of being investigated.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    I think there's a little bit of false dichotomy here. In real life, multiple clients almost always brings with it evidence against SDC and against MOO. If you have multiple clients, you can always find things, like Lance's business trip, that are really useful to have in your IR35 dossier to help you demonstrate, if not a lack of, at least limits to, SDC.

If you've got a reasonable case, multiple clients will probably seal it. In an area with so much subjectivity, having something like that in your arsenal is really useful.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    was that her counsel or the tribunal finding?
    Full judgement here:

http://financeandtax.decisions.tribu...09/TC07045.pdf

We are satisfied that control of Ms Kelly’s work pursuant to the hypothetical contract lay with Ms Kelly. In our view, the level of control falls far substantially below the sufficient degree required to demonstrate a contract for service
    Like I said, absent the (lack of) sufficient degree of control, the minor in-business factors wouldn’t have amounted to anything. No case has been won on those alone. I think we agree that presence of (some of) the three pillars tends to bleed into positive in-business factors too. Anyway, thread derail, so that’s the last on this from me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X