• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Accepted Perm offer but got contract extension"

Collapse

• DevUK
    replied
    Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
    For what it's worth I'd go for the perm role.
    I've had my contract cut short due to blanket IR35 inclusion and I'm not up for being out of work so have accepted a perm offer myself.
    The salary is great...although a huge drop from contracting but with the market likely to be a massive state of flux for a bit I figured I'd last longer on my warchest with a permanent salary than I would without any work and hoping for the next contract. My last thought...it doesnt take long being on the bench to make it worth having taken the permanent role if you just look at money....which we all do...right?
    My sentiments exactly. I've had to make the same decision. Same situation - great salary, not quite contracting but more than what I thought I'd bag. I'd like to think I'll return one day when the market picks back up, but some opinions on this board would suggest that day may not come.

Leave a comment:

• VirtualMonkey
    replied
    For what it's worth I'd go for the perm role.
    I've had my contract cut short due to blanket IR35 inclusion and I'm not up for being out of work so have accepted a perm offer myself.
    The salary is great...although a huge drop from contracting but with the market likely to be a massive state of flux for a bit I figured I'd last longer on my warchest with a permanent salary than I would without any work and hoping for the next contract. My last thought...it doesnt take long being on the bench to make it worth having taken the permanent role if you just look at money....which we all do...right?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by sira View Post
    Yes, I met with HR today. They're determining everyone inside.

They told me their external advising tax/law firm has reassured them, that contractors wont face any retrospective investigation or risk.

If a contractor were to carry on, is it more risky to continue as Inside or Outside IR35? Or both equally risky?
    You need to apply some common sense and some of the knowledge you should have about IR35. Reading the forums, particularly the sticky designed to help with questions like this would help as well.
    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ould-i-go.html

Is it more risky to continue inside? You've been doing a job that you think is outside, the client turns round and says no actually it's inside all along. What do you think?

Is it risky to continue outside? If you think it's outside and the client has carried out and proper assessment and concluded it's outside. This means the onus is now on them not the contractor. What you do you think?

You are about to hit the former of these unless you get out very quickly.

Leave a comment:

• Stevie Wonder Boy
    replied

They told me their external advising tax/law firm has reassured them, that contractors wont face any retrospective investigation or risk.

If a contractor were to carry on, is it more risky to continue as Inside or Outside IR35? Or both equally risky?
    Exactly ... leave, leave now. Delete any e-mails, meeting requests around the companies determination. - Deny all knowledge. - If queried say you never attended.

Leave a comment:

• sira
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    So go. Don't be dicking around with the odd month here or there. If they do backtrack and get determined inside you've then got the worry of retrospective investigations. Take the job you are happy to do, go and watch contracting implode from the comfort of your perm role.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Other company said I can start whenever I like, so wouldnt jeopardise it.
    So go. Don't be dicking around with the odd month here or there. If they do backtrack and get determined inside you've then got the worry of retrospective investigations. Take the job you are happy to do, go and watch contracting implode from the comfort of your perm role.

Leave a comment:

• sira
    replied
    Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    So you'd leave mid contract, leaving the client in the lurch. Very unprofessional behaviour.

I've changed my mind: take the extension, leave mid contract and fingers crossed hmrc does a retrospective investigation on you. Contractors like you don't deserve any better.

Good luck.
    No, you must have misunderstood. Clients asked me to stay till summer, but I'd get them to issue a new 1 or 2 month contract. Not jumping ship mid-gig.

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Jeopardising your June start as well as leaving you as one of the low-hanging fruit if the HMRC retro-inspection squad pounces as expected.
    Other company said I can start whenever I like, so wouldnt jeopardise it.

Nah, he's not trying to decide between extension and permie job. He wants to take the extension and jump ship mid term.
    See above.

Trying to figure out whether I can stay an extra month or two, whilst keeping the IR35 risk low. Clients very open-minded, so I want to bring suggestions to the table and be helpful in the meeting with them tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You are forgetting the elephant in the room here. The extension is only short term. What are you going to do after. Its going to finish very early in the period after april hwn the market is going to be an utter disaster. The perm gig is gonna see you right through all that.

Look beyond this extension if you are trying to make a decision. Unless you are very good, have niche skills and are in demand I'd be taking the permie gig for the time being. Treat it like a short term poorly paid gig if you want. You can always duck back in to contracting in 6 months to a year if there is anything left. Much better than taking this gig, finding yourself on the bench in 3 months and zero work available.
    Nah, he's not trying to decide between extension and permie job. He wants to take the extension and jump ship mid term.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    They said until summer, so I'll go on the assumption that its about 3 months.
    Jeopardising your June start as well as leaving you as one of the low-hanging fruit if the HMRC retro-inspection squad pounces as expected.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    So you'd leave mid contract, leaving the client in the lurch. Very unprofessional behaviour.

I've changed my mind: take the extension, leave mid contract and fingers crossed hmrc does a retrospective investigation on you. Contractors like you don't deserve any better.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    You are forgetting the elephant in the room here. The extension is only short term. What are you going to do after. Its going to finish very early in the period after april hwn the market is going to be an utter disaster. The perm gig is gonna see you right through all that.

Look beyond this extension if you are trying to make a decision. Unless you are very good, have niche skills and are in demand I'd be taking the permie gig for the time being. Treat it like a short term poorly paid gig if you want. You can always duck back in to contracting in 6 months to a year if there is anything left. Much better than taking this gig, finding yourself on the bench in 3 months and zero work available.

Leave a comment:

• sira
    replied
    How long is the offered extension for?

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Hmm. If I was to stay and work it would only be for an extra 1-2 months, as I definitely want to start the permanent role.

Is there a path of least destruction and risk?
    How long is the offered extension for?

Leave a comment:

• sira
    replied
    Originally posted by Dhrucku View Post
    Leave the gig, it's maximum two months of more cash. It produces a clean cut away from contracting and the nature of your IR35 status, it'll also decrease your risk should HMRC ever look to retro investigate.
    This was my original plan, thats why I went out and sought to secure a perm role. The contract extension caught me off guard, ughh.

Leave a comment:

• Dhrucku
    replied
    Hmm. If I was to stay and work it would only be for an extra 1-2 months, as I definitely want to start the permanent role.

Is there a path of least destruction and risk?
    Leave the gig, it's maximum two months of more cash. It produces a clean cut away from contracting and the nature of your IR35 status, it'll also decrease your risk should HMRC ever look to retro investigate.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X